PDA

View Full Version : DX grunt... in the flesh

Pages : [1] 2 3

DX grunt
18th June 2010, 07:36 PM
Pics start on #410, page 41 (on my lappy)

Sorry. I moved my photobucket pics around and lost the lot.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Woof
18th June 2010, 08:35 PM
Very nice GU you have there DX grunt, well done.

DX grunt
18th June 2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks Dogman. It came with the windscreen sticker i bought !!!

AB
19th June 2010, 12:31 AM
Nice and clean mate, well done!

AB
2nd August 2010, 08:28 PM
Have you been moving photos around in photobucket Rossco, see above?

DX grunt
2nd August 2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah, but didn't know they were linked. I'm toooo old to understand this newfound technology.

To ask you a question by the now dearly departed, Dr Julius Sumner Miller....."Why is it so"? Now i'm reeeeeally showing my age.

DX grunt
2nd August 2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks. It was lost amongst all the others until I decided to start stuffing around with photobucket. Haven't got a clue what I'm doing. Did my first mod the other day. Used 2 tech screws to install my fire extinguisher. If you know me, this was a significant milestone. LOL

Woof
2nd August 2010, 08:50 PM
I don't know...................you OLD Buggers are bloody hopeless:049:
Unlike ME:cheers:

AB
2nd August 2010, 09:03 PM
When there's pictures shown on this site it is showing the pictures from another site. Unless you upload them from your computer which are the small pics you see here and have to click on them to make them bigger.

The internet is made up of codes to show you information.

So, the last pic above of your pod opened looks like a pic on this site but it is actually getting the information to show us that pic from this code: http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/TruckAugust2009010.jpg

If you were to change any character in that code above then the picture will not show as the computer will try to find the pic with a code that does not go anywhere.

Ok, old man talk...

It's like a telephone...if my phone number was 9732 1234 and you rung me all day on that number and then i moved to another house ill have to give you the new number 9732 5678 otherwise you will ring and no one will answer.

If you move house you must tell people your new number......(if you move your photos you must re link the photos to the new address).

Not sure if that helps...haha

Maxhead
2nd August 2010, 09:04 PM
Hey DX Grunt, good looking rig. I like the swing out wheel brackets

DX grunt
2nd August 2010, 09:10 PM
Hey DX Grunt, good looking rig. I like the swing out wheel brackets

When I get the 'urge', I just lower them, put it on full lock and Yeeee Haaaaaa! I wish. LOL

patch697
2nd August 2010, 11:11 PM
I don't know...................you OLD Buggers are bloody hopeless:049:
Unlike ME:cheers:

Good onya doggie but you missed one massive point mate????..... the years: 7 of yours to one of ours......lol

Sorry Doggie its real tough out there

DX grunt
2nd August 2010, 11:38 PM
Good onya doggie but you missed one massive point mate????..... the years: 7 of yours to one of ours......lol

Sorry Doggie its real tough out there

:hijacked:

Say no more. LOL

patch697
3rd August 2010, 12:00 AM
:hijacked:

Say no more. LOL

Come on Rossco you wouldn't feel at all at home if there wasn't one thrown in somewhere....lol

DX grunt
3rd August 2010, 09:13 AM
Doing my first mod has encouraged me to put pressure on myself to start modding. I'll post it shortly. So.....stay tuned. I'm waiting on a few quotes for 'outdoor lighting'

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/Mytruck18Jun2010005-1.jpg

DX grunt
3rd August 2010, 09:14 AM
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Mytruck18Jun2010003.jpg

DX grunt
3rd August 2010, 09:17 AM
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/TruckAugust2009018.jpg

DX grunt
3rd August 2010, 09:19 AM
Practice run

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/Unofficialtripreport006.jpg

DX grunt
3rd August 2010, 09:24 AM
When there's pictures shown on this site it is showing the pictures from another site. Unless you upload them from your computer which are the small pics you see here and have to click on them to make them bigger.

The internet is made up of codes to show you information.

So, the last pic above of your pod opened looks like a pic on this site but it is actually getting the information to show us that pic from this code: http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/TruckAugust2009010.jpg

If you were to change any character in that code above then the picture will not show as the computer will try to find the pic with a code that does not go anywhere.

Ok, old man talk...

It's like a telephone...if my phone number was 9732 1234 and you rung me all day on that number and then i moved to another house ill have to give you the new number 9732 5678 otherwise you will ring and no one will answer.

If you move house you must tell people your new number......(if you move your photos you must re link the photos to the new address).

Not sure if that helps...haha

Where's the instructions for dummies?

Too hard, Andy just re-posted 'em. haHAHAHA

patch697
3rd August 2010, 10:17 AM
I do like that spare setup Rossco & that hot water system. So how much water can you carry on board ?

DX grunt
3rd August 2010, 10:38 AM
The HWS takes 8.5lts and takes about 20-30mins to heat up.

http://www.thekineticsgroup.net/downloads/Handiwash_Brochure.pdf

Lovely set up, Hot water, on tap.

The distributor is in South Oz.

DX grunt
4th August 2010, 10:46 PM
OK guys. I'll drop my pride and ask heaps of questions that your 2 yo should be able to answer.

This is what I'd like to do.

Under the bonnet: put in an air horn. It's a 4.2 TDi, which is all I need.

Cab: Put a roof rack on the cab that will support 2 'work/search lights' on the outside and 2 spotties on the inside.
In WA, we're only allowed to have 4 spotties and 2 headlights, otherwise it's a yellow sticker.

I need a reversing camera too. Bloody bumped into something else yesterday, infront of a crowd, naturally.
The problem with the pod on the back is that it sticks out about 4 inches further than the cab - on each side.

GPS would be nice too. Not a lot of room in a ute to stick stuff. Lots of roof consoles out there too. Not sure
whether to go across ways (windscreen length)or straight up the middle between the driver/passenger seat
My UHF is velcro'd to the dash atm.

Anybody know where to put a coffee cup holder in a ute? I'm sick of spilling it. Even when I open and close
the door, occasionally I'll put my travel mug it into the door, but I continually spill it.

My pod....coz we want to sleep in it at night, it has to be insulated and ventilated. I don't want it to be one big 'dutch oven'.

Forget the mirror tiles on the roof. I'm too old and don't own a Sandman PV any more.

The back is big enough for a double bed, so I'll go to Clarke Rubber and get it measured up. I want to be able to lie in bed and watch a dvd.

On the back, I'm going to get a couple of search/work lights with 3 way switches.

When I get old enough to retire.. I'm changing my name to 'The travelling mug'. lol

I've made some statement and asked for some advice. Any help whatsoever, I'd appreciate.
Preferred makes/models would be nice.

Seriously guys, I really lack knowledge, but at the same time, I don't expect you to do all
the work. I'm not lazy, but I lack confidence in my own ability to do 'manual stuff'

Ross

DX grunt
4th August 2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks Plassy. That's my first project.

Thanks Bro. I'm feeling better already!!!!!!!

DX grunt
4th August 2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks 4 your help. You've given me heaps to think about and research. Much appreciated.

MudRunnerTD
5th August 2010, 12:27 AM
Hey DX, i have a console that runs across the car in front of me and it is great mate. i very occasionally hit my head on it but generally it is a great place to stash stuff.

I agree with plasnart that the one running down the centre would get in the way a heap more than the front mounted one. Hope that helps

DX grunt
5th August 2010, 12:46 AM
Hey DX, i have a console that runs across the car in front of me and it is great mate. i very occasionally hit my head on it but generally it is a great place to stash stuff.

I agree with plasnart that the one running down the centre would get in the way a heap more than the front mounted one. Hope that helps
Hey MR. Did u make it yrself or buy it? I'm about 181cm tall. How far does yours come down from the roof?

Do you hit your head very occassionally or very rarely? lol

MudRunnerTD
5th August 2010, 08:55 AM
LOL... very rarely mate, generally only when i am getting in and out to be honest. its a big climb up. cant remember ever really hitting the scone while driving.

I bought it off ebay, dont have a pic but will see if i can organise one for you mate.

It is flat across the bottom and is just above the level of the top of the glass. the sun visors hanging off it and they took a little getting used to but no problem for me at all.

I am 5'11"

patch697
5th August 2010, 02:10 PM
I to have an overhead like this & love it I made mine & still have the patten. I will also take some picks & post them up & if you like it I will post you the patten. Although mines a GQ I wouldn't think it would take much at all if anything to change it to GU

DX grunt
5th August 2010, 08:43 PM
I to have an overhead like this & love it I made mine & still have the patten. I will also take some picks & post them up & if you like it I will post you the patten. Although mines a GQ I wouldn't think it would take much at all if anything to change it to GU

Thanks. I'll pm you. And thanks for reading my 500th post. Yeaaaaahhhhh

Woof
5th August 2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks. I'll pm you. And thanks for reading my 500th post. Yeaaaaahhhhh

500, Ross you need to get a real job mate:cheers:

DX grunt
5th August 2010, 09:27 PM
500, Ross you need to get a real job mate:cheers:

Who said men can't gossip..... lololol

DX grunt
27th August 2010, 10:53 AM
Parts for the next mod have arrived - a hands free car kit.

Where's the best place to put the microphone - near the A Pillar on the driver's side, or near the mirror in the centre?

How do you take the 'plastic' trim off to get the wires behind them?

Thanks in advance.

Rossco

Woof
29th August 2010, 06:43 PM
Look what I found Ross.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/Uriah57/My1stTripLeadering001.jpg

DX grunt
29th August 2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks Wayne. I remember nearly having to be 'snatched' over that log! lol

That was my very first obstacle I ever encountered with WPC. I still remember it was like half an hour ago.

I remember sheeting myself because I slid all over it before I made it over. lol

AB
29th August 2010, 06:48 PM
Do you ever get tempted to lock your mates in the pod Rossco when they start to pee you off...lol

DX grunt
29th August 2010, 06:52 PM
Do you ever get tempted to lock your mates in the pod Rossco when they start to pee you off...lol

Nearly. And when they do, I'll lock them in the back, take off flat out, yell out "DOG", then hit the skids. Then we'll see who's the boss. LOLOLOL

Edit: No reference to my friend, Wayne. lolol

Woof
29th August 2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks Wayne. I remember nearly having to be 'snatched' over that log! lol

That was my very first obstacle I ever encountered with WPC. I still remember it was like half an hour ago.

I remember sheeting myself because I slid all over it before I made it over. lol

Yeah Ross it was a great trip, tried to get Mark II this year but had to cancel it due to stuff happening, maybe next year.

AB
29th August 2010, 06:54 PM
Gold!

Make sure to throw a few logs and open cans of seafood sauce in the pod too...lol

patch697
29th August 2010, 06:57 PM
Nearly. And when they do, I'll lock them in the back, take off flat out, yell out "DOG", then hit the skids. Then we'll see who's the boss. LOLOLOL

Edit: No reference to my friend, Wayne. lolol

Nicely done....................ahhahahaha

DX grunt
5th October 2010, 09:01 PM
Clubsta’s signs.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Dxgruntwithnametags002.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Dxgruntwithnametags004.jpg

Dogman, I’m just waiting for my Western Patrol Club windscreen sticker to arrive in the mail and it’s going on too.
Then I’m gunna delete the lot and get some decent flex photos. Lolol

PS. Don’t blame Nathan for supplying crooked signs. lolol

AB
5th October 2010, 09:03 PM
Looks great Rossco, well done!

The black on white came up a treat mate.

DX grunt
5th October 2010, 09:06 PM
I parked it in a crowded carpark today for the first time and saw it 'stickered up' I thought "OMG". I realized it was mine straight away. lolol

DX grunt
5th October 2010, 09:07 PM
I wanna get a reverse photo in a mirror to show the DX grunt looking right!

I need a decent day and a bit of shade, lots of trees, ect......

Chops
5th October 2010, 09:10 PM
That Pro-Ma sticker brings back some memories from 20 years ago.

DX grunt
5th October 2010, 09:19 PM
That Pro-Ma sticker brings back some memories from 20 years ago.

I gave it up many, many years ago and am now back into it.

DX grunt
5th October 2010, 09:20 PM
Good stuff Rossco, not much doubt about your allegiences eh mate?

It's like car tatts.

I've still gotta work out what I'm gunna put on both sides of the pod. lolol

DX grunt
5th October 2010, 09:32 PM
Exuse my ignorance, but what's "Pro-Ma"?

Google it... I'm not allowed to talk about it on air. lol

Bigcol
5th October 2010, 10:00 PM
"I've still gotta work out what I'm gunna put on both sides of the pod. lolol "

Ummmmmm

"Rossco's Retreat"

"Hillbilly Hideout"

"Patrol Pleasure Pit"

hahahahahahahaha

DX grunt
5th October 2010, 10:03 PM
"I've still gotta work out what I'm gunna put on both sides of the pod. lolol "

Ummmmmm

"Rossco's Retreat"

"Hillbilly Hideout"

"Patrol Pleasure Pit"

hahahahahahahaha

I used to own a HZ Sandman Panel Van and a XD panel van. I have plenty of options for words. lolol

DX grunt
30th October 2010, 03:12 PM
Well DX grunt went in for a service and I thought..... "While you're there, with the truck up on the hoist"...... I had the tie down hook removed and a proper recovery points fitted to both sides of the undercariage.

I can now start charging for recoveries!

Toyota's = 1 carton
Everybody else = mates rates LOLOLOLOL

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Mods-CBrecoverypointsmpcradle001.jpg

They also picked up the fact I had my CB velcro'd to the dash. Oops. Not police friendly I'm told (lol).
Anyway, they fixed that too and my wiring for my mobile phone.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Mods-CBrecoverypointsmpcradle005.jpg

They also got my spot light working and took all the water out of my headlight - without having to tell them. I'm so happy :D.

Stay tuned for some more mods before Christmas.

Woof
30th October 2010, 08:09 PM
Finally got some where to hook the Q up to when you get stuck mate:cool::cool::cool:

DX grunt
30th October 2010, 11:23 PM
Finally got some where to hook the Q up to when you get stuck mate:cool::cool::cool:

Ah. Excuse me ?????

UKKiwi
31st October 2010, 04:52 PM
Where are the airhorns mate, are they not 'plod' friendly either?

UKKiwi
31st October 2010, 04:53 PM
Ideas for the sides, Camping wa, patrol4x4wa? 'Stirling ranges are great'?

DX grunt
31st October 2010, 11:59 PM
Where are the airhorns mate, are they not 'plod' friendly either?

There's a thread on here somewhere about air horns. Gotta find it. Hopefully they will be my Xmas mod. lolol

Finly Owner
1st November 2010, 12:00 AM
I want reindeer antlers.

UKKiwi
1st November 2010, 01:07 AM
I want reindeer antlers.

What do they sound like?
Or do you hear with them?

Finly Owner
2nd November 2010, 12:13 AM
What do they sound like?
Or do you hear with them?

Funny bugger

ripper
17th December 2010, 12:33 AM
If you haven't done the air horns yet, my preferred location is inside the bull bar. I don't like cluttered engine bays.
Not sure if there's room in your bar, and it may not be good if you take your truck swimming, but it's worth thinking about.

DX grunt
22nd January 2011, 12:37 AM
My next mod is on it's way as we speak. Took a while to save up for, but my new fridge/freezer will work a treat.
Did lotsa research and made a decision. Need extra fridge/freeza space when we go to the city for viddles.
Gotta keep our food cold/frozen till we get back to the bush. lol

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/95L-EVAKOOL-FRIDGEMATE-PORTABLE-CAMPING-FRIDGE-FREEZER-/250751423417?pt=AU_Sport_Camping_Hiking_Food_Stora ge&hash=item3a61f313b9

DX grunt
22nd January 2011, 12:50 AM
Yeah I was thinking of a smaller one, but for the distances we have to travel in the WA heat with perishables in the boot, I bit the bullet and went for the big one.

Our nearest big shopping centres with lots of variety is about 170k's away.

Woof
22nd January 2011, 06:35 PM
Very nice Ross, love the colourhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

DX grunt
24th January 2011, 12:16 AM
Wow that's a big unit mate. You'll fit a few supplies in that one.

It won't be 4x, either. lolol

Bigrig
24th January 2011, 12:25 AM
It won't be 4x, either. lolol

Swan Lager?? lol

DX grunt
24th January 2011, 12:27 AM
Swan Lager?? lol

TEDs or Pure Blonde (full strength) lol

Bigrig
24th January 2011, 12:28 AM
Pure Blonde gives me a rotten headache ... seriously ... after about the 22nd bottle of it, I just know I'm not going to be right in the morning!!! LOL

DX grunt
24th January 2011, 12:29 AM
Pure Blonde gives me a rotten headache ... seriously ... after about the 22nd bottle of it, I just know I'm not going to be right in the morning!!! LOL

I'm stuffed after a 6 pack! lol

Bigrig
24th January 2011, 12:30 AM
Well ... best I start drinking early at the forum meetup!!! Looks like a lot of navigation and no driving for me!! LOL

DX grunt
24th January 2011, 12:34 AM
I might have a bit of extra room in my new fridge for your storage. lol. 95lts. I might have gone a bit overboard, but we go to the city for food. Really expensive over here in the bush.

ULP was $1.47.3 yesterday. Unreal.

Bigrig
24th January 2011, 12:35 AM
You can never go overboard when talking about a fridge mate - you'll be the envy of every man and his dog on big trips (forum meetup as an example) when they are all running 60klm's to the nearest town to get supplies and you are well and truly stocked up!!!

patch697
25th January 2011, 02:27 PM
You still flogging this old thread Rossco................lolololololol

Boagie
31st January 2011, 11:45 PM
nice rig mate---i love dem uteruses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DX grunt
4th February 2011, 12:18 PM
Gotta promote the cause..... my truck! lol

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/BoatHarbourTripprep001.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/BoatHarbourTripprep002.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/BoatHarbourTripprep005.jpg

Load distribution…… Fully loaded fridge one side, water the other… the rest of the crap in the middle.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/BoatHarbourTripprep004.jpg

AB
4th February 2011, 12:25 PM
Looks good Rossco, where did you get your shackles from?

DX grunt
4th February 2011, 12:28 PM
ARB or Supa Cheap, I think. Can't remember. The rear recovery point I definitely know was from ARB

Tornado
4th February 2011, 12:50 PM
Sweet bus. Definitely looks like it would do the job.

DX grunt
4th February 2011, 01:54 PM
The back/towbar recovery point is a 'Bushranger Recovery Point'. Got that one from ARB.

Dark 1
4th February 2011, 05:12 PM
Lookin good rossco, you must be getting itchy feet.

Bob
4th February 2011, 05:25 PM
Those Recovery Points look the Bees Knees

DX grunt
4th February 2011, 05:39 PM
Lookin good rossco, you must be getting itchy feet.

I am indeed. That was partly a dry run. Still gotta fit a bit of stuff in the back.

Excuse my french. but the inner spring double bed matress goes ontop of all the stuff
Decided against the blow up air matress - Justin Case. lol

wildgu6
4th February 2011, 09:00 PM
Great lookin set up there Rossco.
Love the fridge mate, did you end up gettin it sorted ??
Love the site as well, thanks buddy

Cheers Pete

nowoolies
5th February 2011, 12:03 AM
now im jealous ,my one of those is full of work crap, .........errrr work materials and fittings,
looks absolutly fanfriggintastic , you guys are well setup and looks like gunna have a great time away.
how long have you had the bus Ross????
nowoolies
Paul

Clunk
5th February 2011, 01:36 AM
looking good mate, reckon me an me missus could do with a break away soon, any chance I can borrow your rig and leave me kids with you for a couple of weeks??????? hahahahaha

DX grunt
5th February 2011, 05:19 AM
Jeez Rossco, looking at that last photo you'd wanna keep your fish hooks away from those soft bladders! Could be a bit of a spill in there otherwise.

That is a great setup mate. You'll live out of that like a touring prince!

You can't beat a full bladder. lol

I'm looking forward to submitting my first trip report, too

Sir Roofy
5th February 2011, 09:20 AM
Thats a really good setup rossco tough shackels for pulling buffalo out but why not put the fishing poll in a holder ,could be interesting other wise
looking forward to reading your report should be a good read

Bigrig
5th February 2011, 09:28 AM
You can't beat a full bladder. lol

I'm looking forward to submitting my first trip report, too

Looking forward to reading it old mate! You've inspired me to finally bite the bullet and sort the other recovery points on Tank. What is the laden weight with the rig fully decked out and ready to roll??

DX grunt
5th February 2011, 01:04 PM
Looking forward to reading it old mate! You've inspired me to finally bite the bullet and sort the other recovery points on Tank. What is the laden weight with the rig fully decked out and ready to roll??

T 2740
A 3400
C 5900

That's all I know. They're the numbers on the side of the truck. The heaviest things in the back will be about 150lts of water, a full 95lt fridge, plus all the recovery gear, plus all the food.
The heaviest things in the front will be me and the missus. lol.

Not that we're taking any tents, or swags, but they're not that heavy.

patch697
5th February 2011, 01:15 PM
T 2740
A 3400
C 5900

That's all I know. They're the numbers on the side of the truck. The heaviest things in the back will be about 150lts of water, a full 95lt fridge, plus all the recovery gear, plus all the food.
The heaviest things in the front will be me and the missus. lol.

Not that we're taking any tents, or swags, but they're not that heavy.

I wouldn't expect you will have any problems in your Rig Rossco with it being ex Telstra, it will have been decked out for heavy work loads.

Theirs always the "ITS A PATROL" factor as well......lolol

Safe as houses mate.

DX grunt
5th February 2011, 01:24 PM
Thats a really good setup rossco tough shackels for pulling buffalo out but why not put the fishing poll in a holder ,could be interesting other wise
looking forward to reading your report should be a good read

Thanks roofy.

Still contemplating whether or not to use the rod to double up as a sand flag. Got to unpack it and repack it. I basically did a dry run to see how most things would fit. Still gotta stock it up with food and other essentials. lol

Cuppa
10th February 2011, 10:42 PM
G'day Rossco, I'm still looking out for the right vehicle.
A question about these ex telstra units like yours
In some pics I've seen there appears to be one or two lift up panels in the floor of the pod - are these for under tray access, or storage under the floor?

I may be going to look at one next weekend :) '06 & 150,000kms for $34k

regards
Cuppa

DX grunt
11th February 2011, 12:20 AM
G'day Rossco, I'm still looking out for the right vehicle.
A question about these ex telstra units like yours
In some pics I've seen there appears to be one or two lift up panels in the floor of the pod - are these for under tray access, or storage under the floor?

I may be going to look at one next weekend :) '06 & 150,000kms for $34k

regards
Cuppa

My floor doesn't have lift up floor panels. On the right hand side where the 'bi-fold door is, there's quite a few 'anchor points' to secure stuff with. On the left is the same but only with a couple.

I have one big storage compartment under the pod that is divided into two sections. Looking towards the front of the vehicle, on the left hand side, the underneath compartment goes the whole length of the pod. The one on the right hand side only goes about 3/4 of the way. I'm assuming it only goes this length so that the 75lt sub tank will fit.

The only way I can access the 'underneath storage is via the door on the back of the pod.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Mytruck18Jun2010003-1.jpg

Hope this helps.

Before the announcement was made that they weren't making 4.2's any more, I got mine for $27k with about 180k's. I thought they'd gone up a bit. Have you tried looking at the auction places, like Pickles? I got mine from a car yard. Have a look at car yards too. Must have been there for a while coz they dropped it $1k.

All the best

Ross

Cuppa
11th February 2011, 03:03 AM
Thanks Ross. I had wrongly assumed those tie down points were handles to pull up a panel.
With that rear accessed storage compartment - does it have a drawer that pulls out, or just a deep, difficult to access storage space?
I'm not confident in my ability to avoid a lemon at auction, it'd be different if I lived nearer & had a 'knowlegable mate, & could pop along to suss out a few first auctions first, but it would be a full day there & back from my place. This will be the most expensive vehicle purchase I've ever made, & having to view immediately prior to auction & then decide under the pressure of the auction would likely overtax my confidence I reckon. I've also never bought a car from a dealer before, so am not quite sure what to expect from them. Have always bought privately, but I haven't seen many ex telstra patrols being sold privately, & none with the lower mileages.
I noticed there are some subtle differences between same year models. On the 2006 models, some have canopy doors with the rubber on the door, & some have a recessed door with the rubber on the body, in the recess. Some have rear tyre carriers like yours, some a taller tubular affair. I wonder if they are sourced from different states?

regards
Cuppa

Sir Roofy
11th February 2011, 10:32 AM
here you go cuppa try this one,CARPOINT.COM.AU you can browse to your hearts content

DX grunt
11th February 2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks Ross. I had wrongly assumed those tie down points were handles to pull up a panel.
With that rear accessed storage compartment - does it have a drawer that pulls out, or just a deep, difficult to access storage space?
I'm not confident in my ability to avoid a lemon at auction, it'd be different if I lived nearer & had a 'knowlegable mate, & could pop along to suss out a few first auctions first, but it would be a full day there & back from my place. This will be the most expensive vehicle purchase I've ever made, & having to view immediately prior to auction & then decide under the pressure of the auction would likely overtax my confidence I reckon. I've also never bought a car from a dealer before, so am not quite sure what to expect from them. Have always bought privately, but I haven't seen many ex telstra patrols being sold privately, & none with the lower mileages.
I noticed there are some subtle differences between same year models. On the 2006 models, some have canopy doors with the rubber on the door, & some have a recessed door with the rubber on the body, in the recess. Some have rear tyre carriers like yours, some a taller tubular affair. I wonder if they are sourced from different states?
regards
Cuppa

Hey Cuppa

From what I've seen, every ex Telstra truck is different, so my advice/opinion is from my truck and what I've seen out there.

The rear accessed storage doesn't have drawers that pull out. Having said that, every truck is different, so you'll have to have a look. Where ever you go, have a look at the service booklet.

Mine was serviced, roughly every 10,000km, so I was happy, and came from up north and was regularly serviced in Broome/Kununurra. Immediately I knew it was hot k's for most of the time and probably driven at 110 (+) most of the time.

If you go to a car yard, find out what warranty comes with it - if any. I sucked myself into getting an extended warranty - don't know why, but I did. Haven't used it yet - thankfully.

If you buy privately, get a REVS check done on it (rego number, engine number and chassis number). Doesn't cost anything over the phone, but if you want written confirmation, I think it's $10.

My undercarriage was sprayed with black paint, so I couldn't see a lot. If you're still not comfortable, get an independent mechanic to check it. I'm pretty sure RAC and SGIO go around to car yards. If I was buying another truck, I'd get a SGIO check done. Ring both companies up and see what they do when they mechanically check vehicles. You'll have to find out if they go to private homes as well.

If you like a truck from a car yard and it's for sale, but not roadworthy, you could tell them to fix it and then you'll reconsider it or you'll ring Transport's Used Car Dealer Squad to examine it on your behalf. From memory, when I used to be a franchisee in car yards, these guys used to go around and examine cars in car yards for roadworthiness.

If a vehicle on the lot was for sale and not roadworthy, they would put a green sticker on it and it would not be able to be offered for sale until the defects were fixed and it went over the pits. It's the people's equivalent of a yellow sticker. I'm not even sure if these guys are still around and examine vehicles.

I got a little bit caught out with my tyres from the car yard. I will give them credit, they were roadworthy, but not to my standards. I got the 90k speed wobble. When I bought all new tyres, the speed wobble went.

As far as expense, I'm the same as you. It's the most expensive vehicle I've bought. You won't be getting a brand new vehicle, and there will probably be cosmetic stuff wrong with it, but mechanically, it should be sound, and roadworthy.

Take somebody with you that's a full bottle on Patrols. They'll be able to help you in lots of ways. I went in blind. I wanted an ex Telstra ute with a pod that I could convert to a camper, whatever it took!!

I'll send you some websites shortly with the options ect..

Ross

DX grunt
11th February 2011, 11:18 AM
http://www.roscos.com/IMG/pdf/BA1.pdf

http://www.roscos.com/IMG/pdf/BA1_Accessories.pdf

Plenty of mods to consider, hey?

As you'll see by looking at all the accessories, there's not many that are a 'standard' fitout. Depends what's needed.

My IPF spotties for example.... mine are both spots not one spreader and one spot.

Good luck and give us a shout if you need any more info.

Ross

PS... Sounds like this is one of your big investments. If it takes a full day to go to an auction to sus it out, your mate should understand your committment and investment in your truck. IMHO.

Shout him lunch, he'll love it. Don't impulse buy. Just ask AB about waiting! He ended up with the christened truck of his dreams! lol

Perserverance pays.

DX grunt
20th March 2011, 08:26 PM
Well peeps,

Here's my latest mod in the making. 2 x 125watt solar panels. Brand spankers. Just gotta do my homework now. lol

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Solarpics.jpg

DX grunt
20th March 2011, 08:34 PM
Nice work Ross. Are you going to make them portable or mount them on top of the canopy?

I know very little about solar panels so will be interested to see how this all goes.

Not sure yet. I like both ideas. I don't fancy roasting in the hot sun just to top up the batteries.

Might keep them on the roof whilst travelling and make them portable when we pull up. Might get some brackets made up to stick on the side doors too.

Too many options. lol

big_fletch
20th March 2011, 08:37 PM
Sounds good rossco, can't wait to see how you will set it all up

DX grunt
20th March 2011, 08:39 PM
Sounds good rossco, can't wait to see how you will set it all up

r u a full bottle on solar?

big_fletch
20th March 2011, 08:40 PM
r u a full bottle on solar?

A what sorry lol

DX grunt
20th March 2011, 08:43 PM
A what sorry lol

Sorry I forgot you're a youngin'

Full bottle = are you up to speed + do you know heaps about...... solar. lololol

It has nothing to do with alcohol - except in Bigrig's case... oops Bigrig's circumstances... Sorry about that reference to alcohol .....hahahahahahahah

big_fletch
20th March 2011, 08:46 PM
Sorry I forgot you're a youngin'

Full bottle = are you up to speed + do you know heaps about...... solar. lololol

It has nothing to do with alcohol - except in Bigrig's case... oops Bigrig's circumstances... Sorry about that reference to alcohol .....hahahahahahahah

Haha bigrig does love his occasional stubbie lol... and yes I have set up a few solar systems up at work, normally on boats but same thing lol...

AB
20th March 2011, 09:01 PM
Great work Rossco, as Plassy mentioned, I'm the same and not up with solar much so keep us informed about the set up and how it all goes mate.

Would be very keen to read about it in action!

Bigrig
20th March 2011, 09:03 PM
Haha bigrig does love his occasional stubbie lol... and yes I have set up a few solar systems up at work, normally on boats but same thing lol...

I reckon you should both sit down over a few whilst the plan is mapped out ... I'll do the same whilst I wait!!! LOL

Bigrig
20th March 2011, 09:04 PM
I think Kelvin may be able to offer some thoughts around solar - he's got it on the rig and in the camper.

big_fletch
20th March 2011, 09:06 PM
I reckon you should both sit down over a few whilst the plan is mapped out ... I'll do the same whilst I wait!!! LOL

Top idea bigrig, what a thinker you are, I shall get my drawing board out now and grab a few coldies lol..

Bigrig
20th March 2011, 09:09 PM
Top idea bigrig, what a thinker you are, I shall get my drawing board out now and grab a few coldies lol..

Thatta boy!!! I applaud men of action!! LOL

big_fletch
20th March 2011, 09:13 PM
Thatta boy!!! I applaud men of action!! LOL

Thank-you, I applaud the man who put me onto it Haha... and this stubbie is going down well...

DX grunt
20th March 2011, 09:36 PM
OI, stop hyjacking my thread, you two. lol

Bigrig
20th March 2011, 09:38 PM

Sorry boss!!! He started it ... lol

big_fletch
20th March 2011, 09:40 PM

Haha sorry Ross, I shall stop now... I promise:oops:

DX grunt
20th March 2011, 09:42 PM
Keep it coming brother. lol

My turn coming up to hyjack yours. lol.

Give us a couple of days to read the instructions and I'll holler (call out)

big_fletch
20th March 2011, 09:44 PM
Keep it coming brother. lol

My turn coming up to hyjack yours. lol.

Give us a couple of days to read the instructions and I'll holler (call out)

Scotty started it, we should hijack his thread lol...
If you get stuck u know how to contact me mate

Cuppa
20th March 2011, 11:10 PM
Hi Ross,
What are you planning to run off your solar panels? Are you going for 'self sufficiency' or just to extend the time you can spend 'off grid'?
I have been giving some thought to power for my camper. Assuming I have the same existing set up as yourself, you might be interested in which way my thoughts are going?
The existing dual battery system has the batteries separated/joined by a Redarc 'Smartstart' voltage sensitive relay. Our power requirements are to run a 60-80litre fridge & a separate 40 litre freezer, water pump, & a few lights (LED's) & music player & laptop & would like to power these off separate batteries (leaving the existing auxillary for winch/& compressor as required). I'll use AGM batteries , probably 2 x 100A/h. My preference is for a system that allows us indefinite periods of time in the bush, but this has to be balanced against the outlay cost & storage /convenience of panels. I am thinking of 1 panel, probably a 160w on the cabin roof (will have a rooftop tent on top of the canopy) & another single 120w or 130w panel carried inside the canopy, & utilised whenever we stay put anywhere for more than overnight. In addition I'm thinking of using a 'CTEK D250S Dual'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPtawOngxWA This acts as a 'smart' multistage battery to battery charger, so the AGM's can be more quickly & more fully charged by driving than the existing system manages, it also acts as a solar regulator, so at 4?0 bucks is pretty good value. If driving 4 or 5 hours daily it would sufficient by itself, but I'd hope that the two solar panels could extend our 'camping without driving' (or pulling out the gennie) to a week or more. A 3rd panel would stretch that to indefinite. I'd estimate that the 200A/h batteries, assuming some solar input even on grey cloudy days, would give us a 'buffer' of a couple of days before needing to go for a drive, in bad weather.

Anyway, there's probably a 101 ways you could go, so have fun.

regards
Cuppa.
Ps.Are you planning on sleeping inside the 'pod'?
Pps. How much did your front recovery points cost?

DX grunt
20th March 2011, 11:29 PM
From memory front recovery points were about $70 - including additional bolts.
We've slept in the pod. Bloody brilliant. A double inner spring will fit in beautifully on the right hand side. Initially a tight squeeze, but once in - perfect.
Get yourself a mozzie net to cover the bed. Hang it from the roof from 4 points. Missus made something up from curtain material. Needs to be fine grade.
You'll have a bit of condensation on the roof when you wake up in the morning - sometimes.
Missus bought a 3 step, step ladder, to climb in. Didn't like using the back wheel to hitch herself in.
My solar panels are 2 x 125w panels. I was told my 95lt Evakool fridge would need a 120w panel. The 'Handiwash' is 6.7w.
The gas storage on the front l/h side of the pod will hold 2 x 1.25kg gas bottles.

Have a look at my pics on the pod doors for where the rain comes in. PITA. Sort that out sooner rather than later, with winter approaching.

At this stage I'll probably put both panels on the roof. Need to cover them up to prevent bush pinstriping. Somebody suggested perspex. Have to research it.

Hope this helps. If I think of anything else, I'll post it here.

Take care out there.

Cuppa
21st March 2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks Ross, I thought they'd be more expensive than that. Most stuff that carries a 4wd label seems to be expensive!

My solar panels are 2 x 125w panels. I was told my 95lt Evakool fridge would need a 120w panel. The 'Handiwash' is 6.7w.

Hmmm........ I'd be questioning those figures if I were you. I'd say that you need a minimum of the two panels just to run the 95 litre fridge, assuming it to be a 'stand alone' system.

120w x 2 = 240w. 240w/12v = 20amps. Working on an average of 5 sun hours per day this gives an input of around 5 x 20 = 100A/h per day. Knock 30% off that figure to allow for inefficiencies (fixed panel, forgetting to move any loose panels to face the sun etc) & that brings it down to a realistic 70A/h per day into your battery. I would guess that your fridge will use 60 to 70 a/h per day. So 1 panel would keep your fridge going over a weekend, (without discharging your battery to damaging 'life shortening levels) but you'd need the two for longer periods without alternator input.

The Handiwash uses WAY more than 6.7w! Their website says 9.6 amps. I measured mine with a clamp meter & it was drawing between 9.7amps & 10 amps. 10 amps = 120w@ 12volts. I've removed mine as I consider it too power hungry for a solar system. I'll go for a gas instant hot water unit I think.

I don't reckon perspex over the panels is really needed & potentially could reduce your solar input. The tempered glass in the panels should be tough enough to cope with stuff being dragged over them, but it might be worth putting a 'rail' of some sort in front of the panels to protect them against 'strike' from branches.

regards
Cuppa

DX grunt
21st March 2011, 12:27 AM
I was thinking about cutting the ladder brackets down and using them as panel brackets. Expensive, but already paid for.

I'm happy to keep the hot water in the back. I'll just crank the engine up for a bit. It's not an issue with the engine running and produces hot water in about 20-30mins.
At least the sink is really handy.

Musta forgot my glasses when I read about the HWS. lol

Take care

Ross

TheFlyingBadger
21st March 2011, 12:34 AM
I was thinking about cutting the ladder brackets down and using them as panel brackets. Expensive, but already paid for.

I'm happy to keep the hot water in the back. I'll just crank the engine up for a bit. It's not an issue with the engine running and produces hot water in about 20-30mins.
At least the sink is really handy.

Musta forgot my glasses when I read about the HWS. lol

Take care

Ross

Ross,

I'd reconsider that ladder-rack idea if I were you. I was chatting to TurboJoe when driving down to Yeagarup on friday morning and I mentioned your plan and he said that he knew someone who had sold his ladder racks for a sh!tload (about $1K if i remember). i'd sell them, and get a dedicated solar rack (possibly tilting and/or swivelling) made up instead

TheFlyingBadger
21st March 2011, 12:36 AM
Well peeps,

Here's my latest mod in the making. 2 x 125watt solar panels. Brand spankers. Just gotta do my homework now. lol

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Solarpics.jpg

looking good Ross. Cheap? must have been a good bloke to sort those out for you.... :bananarock:

DX grunt
21st March 2011, 12:39 AM
Ross,

I'd reconsider that ladder-rack idea if I were you. I was chatting to TurboJoe when driving down to Yeagarup on friday morning and I mentioned your plan and he said that he knew someone who had sold his ladder racks for a sh!tload (about $1K if i remember). i'd sell them, and get a dedicated solar rack (possibly tilting and/or swivelling) made up instead

Thanks Jon

Thought about that too. I'll give it some more thought. This is all new and I'm overwhelmed with info. lol. You probably confirmed something I was thinking.

They're Rhino ladder racks, too.

DX grunt
21st March 2011, 12:40 AM
looking good Ross. Cheap? must have been a good bloke to sort those out for you.... :bananarock:

Thanks heaps. I'm really excited and had to show off my new 'toy' lol

Bigrig
21st March 2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks heaps. I'm really excited and had to show off my new 'toy' lol

And so you should be - that's what it's all about!! Personally, I love seeing others setups etc - not even for additions to mine necessarily, but Hempo as an example has a cabin on the back of his BT50 and is always looking for additions.

Top stuff and can't wait to see it (and you of course!! lol) in the flesh at the meetup!!!

Clunk
22nd March 2011, 12:38 AM
Top stuff and can't wait to see it (and you of course!! lol) in the flesh at the meetup!!!

Not too much flesh though mate, I'm still getting over the painted on shorts lmao

Dark 1
22nd March 2011, 07:15 PM
Great stuff Rossco, welcome to the solar club, plenty of power from those panels mate should be completely self sufficent. What regulator are you using ?

DX grunt
22nd March 2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I’m excited.

This is my set up….so far.

I know squat about solar and am waiting from the rep from BP solar to ring me up and tell me what I need.
I need to know what I need from start to finish (operational) down to the last nut, bolt and screw.
Any help or advice would be appreciated. (brands, ect)
At the moment, I intend to put the two panels, ontop of my roof, where there’s plenty of room.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Solarpics-1.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Solarpanel001.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Solarpanel002.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Solarpanel003.jpg

Thanks.
Ross

Dark 1
22nd March 2011, 09:55 PM
There's many ways to go about it mate but my suggestions are as follows.
1 the black boxes on the back of the panels are what collects the solar energy to power throgh cable to your regulator. So using 6-8 mm twin cable connected to the + & - of the box [connect both panels together through the boxes or my suggestion run each panel seperately] then get a good quality solar regulator 30 amp i suggest.[steca or prostar].
2 run the cables from panels to the solar connection on the regulator together
3 run a similar size cable from the battery/batteries to the battery connection on the regulator
4 your solar system is done.

Hints= I would put a anderson style connection at each panel so the panels can be removed easily if you need to work on the system at any stage. Also mount your regulator in a protected area away from weather. Also pay the extra money & get a good reg with a lcd display so you can track what the batts, panels & amps in & out are doing.

Hope this helps mate.
pm me your phone number if you need more help.

DX grunt
22nd March 2011, 10:01 PM
1 the black boxes on the back of the panels are what collects the solar energy to power throgh cable to your regulator. So using 6-8 mm twin cable connected to the + & - of the box [connect both panels together through the boxes or my suggestion run each panel seperately] then get a good quality solar regulator 30 amp i suggest.[steca or prostar].
3 run a similar size cable from the battery/batteries to the battery connection on the regulator

Hints= I would put a anderson style connection at each panel so the panels can be removed easily if you need to work on the system at any stage. Also mount your regulator in a protected area away from weather. Also pay the extra money & get a good reg with a lcd display so you can track what the batts, panels & amps in & out are doing.

Hope this helps mate.

Thanks heaps. Got a couple of expenses to finish paying first then I'll start.

DX grunt
22nd March 2011, 10:11 PM

Hope this helps mate.

Will one regulator do the both panels or do I need 2 regulators - 1 for each panel?

Thanks.

DX grunt
22nd March 2011, 10:12 PM
I agree. I love checking out what people have done with their own head and hands even if I don't want to put it on my 'trol. Sliders, drawers, radios, solar, wheel carriers, etc, etc are some of the things people do at home and I love to see the results of their own work.

I'm out on a limb here, Plassy. lol

big_fletch
22nd March 2011, 10:37 PM
Will one regulator do the both panels or do I need 2 regulators - 1 for each panel?

Thanks.

Like Kelvin said, one reg (30amp rated) the should be fine if you link the panels together...
Then will be all sweet lol

Sir Roofy
22nd March 2011, 11:05 PM
2x40 work a treat on the big waeco

Dark 1
22nd March 2011, 11:54 PM

Thanks.

one regulator, connect both panels to that regulator at the same connection.

DX grunt
22nd March 2011, 11:56 PM
one regulator, connect both panels to that regulator at the same connection.

Sorry my fault for not reading the thread properly. Fletcha has already given me a rocket for me not wearing my glasses. lol

Dark 1
22nd March 2011, 11:58 PM
No worries mate good luck with it.

TheFlyingBadger
23rd March 2011, 11:51 AM
Ross

Seeing as you've had a panel out of the box, and I haven't as of yet...

What is the rigidity of the panels along the "long" side like? I'm thinking about mounting them using the short side, and i'm wondering whether i'll need to brace them along the longer side as well?

Jon

DX grunt
23rd March 2011, 11:37 PM
Ross

Seeing as you've had a panel out of the box, and I haven't as of yet...

What is the rigidity of the panels along the "long" side like? I'm thinking about mounting them using the short side, and i'm wondering whether i'll need to brace them along the longer side as well?

Jon

I'll let you know in the next day or so. It's just finished bicketing down here.

TheFlyingBadger
24th March 2011, 01:23 AM
I'll let you know in the next day or so. It's just finished bicketing down here.

cheers :beer:

blake_gq4.2
27th March 2011, 07:36 PM
nice rig mate awesome stuff

DX grunt
30th March 2011, 03:02 PM
Here's what Cuppa wanted to know.

Because I'm a caring and sharing person, I'll let you all in on it. lol

Hey Cuppa,

These are the numbers on the side of my driver's door.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt018.jpg
Don't know if yours are the same, but check your rego papers. That should tell you.

Carrying water... The one underneath the back left hand side of the tray is always full. I've got 2 x 20 lt jerry cans and I went to BCF and got 5 x 20lt hard plastic ‘carriers’ that fold up when not needed (about $13-15 each, from memory).
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt006.jpg
I’ve really only put my truck to the test once, but found that I didn’t need to carry all the water straight up. I could have filled up with ‘free water’ about 20k’s from my camping spot. So I guess what I am saying is to do your homework before you go camping – research on the web and from local knowledge – if you can – about where you can top up with free water. Every little bit of weight accounts for every drop of fuel.

Mirrors - what you see is what I got. ATM, I’ve added nothing. I need a reversing camera.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt015.jpg
I always reverse park at work for a quick getaway, but I’ve hit the back fence a few times. Main cause is the rain has beaded on the back cab window, the rear window and window on the l/h side of the pod.
I’d love a night time vision monitor. Minimum is I’m gunna get a decent reverse/work light.

Storage for my 1.25lt gas bottles – eventually
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt007.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt008.jpg

Battery charger
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt010.jpg

Roof solar panels…..not hooked up and still in the packing box
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt004.jpg

This is the solar panels with the pod doors fully open
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt005.jpg
The panels slightly impinge on the roof hinges, but nothing that a 2 inch lift won’t sort out. Lol

The back of the panel

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt002.jpg

The spare tyres can be used for anything that you want them to be. I stick solar lights on them and if there’s only 1 tree around, tie your clothes line to the back tyre and the other end to a tree and you have a clothes line or a hoochie.

The back wheel is held on the back by a long ‘screw’ and ‘screws’ into the back and is held in tact by a padlock

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt014.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt012-1.jpg

My fridge - Evakool - 95lt

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Evakoolfridge003.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Evakoolfridge005.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Evakoolfridge007.jpg

The fridge/freezer divider
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Evakoolfridge004.jpg

Well that’s about it for the mo, peeps. Hehehehe

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

AB
30th March 2011, 03:10 PM
Thats a good set up now Rossco!!!

Do you get discounts on the Rossco machine becuase you have the same name...lol

DX grunt
30th March 2011, 03:33 PM
Thats a good set up now Rossco!!!

Do you get discounts on the Rossco machine becuase you have the same name...lol

Getting there AB - and unfortunately, no. Seeing those pics have actually made me excited.

Gotta pay a couple of bills before I start modding any more.

Kelvin's given me a great starting point.

Sir Roofy
30th March 2011, 03:41 PM
notice that you are going to mount the solar on the pod good idea mate
2'' lift is needed to help keep them cool

DX grunt
30th March 2011, 04:03 PM

I don't know if it's best to put them facing front to back or side to side ( I nearly said horizontal or vertical. lol). Might be able to make use of the gutters.

The people at BP solar still haven't got back to me. I wonder if they have a standard type of securing arrangement for their panels? I'm a bit cheezed coz it was well over a week ago. I'll have to chase it up.

Ross

Sir Roofy
30th March 2011, 04:14 PM
i don't know if it's best to put them facing front to back or side to side ( i nearly said horizontal or vertical. Lol). Might be able to make use of the gutters.

The people at bp solar still haven't got back to me. I wonder if they have a standard type of securing arrangement for their panels? I'm a bit cheezed coz it was well over a week ago. I'll have to chase it up.

Ross

front to back looks neater==the holes under the panel ,you can put bolt&nut there and onto a roof bar x3

DX grunt
30th March 2011, 04:29 PM
front to back looks neater==the holes under the panel ,you can put bolt&nut there and onto a roof bar x3

This might sound a real dumb@r$E question, but if I face my truck north/south and the panels face east west, will it be more beneficial., or do I face my truck east west?

'They (?) recommend when you buy a house, it faces north/south and the sun obviously goes east/west.

Sir Roofy
30th March 2011, 06:05 PM
you can park it where the sun shines best,lol

the ferret
30th March 2011, 06:24 PM
Hey Ross, next time yer up Mandurah way, call in and I'll see what we can do for a rear light bracket.
Rod.

DX grunt
30th March 2011, 07:05 PM
Hey Ross, next time yer up Mandurah way, call in and I'll see what we can do for a rear light bracket.
Rod.

Will do.

I was in Perth last week and drove past Mandurah twice! Doh.

Oh well next time.

Ross

Cuppa
30th March 2011, 08:02 PM
Roofy's right, a gap under the panels will keep them cooler & as a consequence will make them more effective - output is reduced by heat.
Also make sure when you mount them that you have them at a bit of an angle, not dead flat. Helps rain run off & stops it pooling in the middle of the panel.

Thanks for the weight info.
I think those mirror extensions are 'stock', & reckon one of mine is missing.
My rear vision cameras (http://www.chinavasion.com/rear-view-cameras/cvshi107/) arrived today - 4 days from China - pretty fast I thought - feel like a quality item.

regards
Cuppa

AB
30th March 2011, 08:18 PM
Sorry Rossco, highjacking this for a wee bit...lol...Let us know how you go with the cameras Cuppa, would be interested to see how they work, picture quality, etc....

Dark 1
30th March 2011, 10:13 PM
Kelvin's given me a great starting point.

Please explain, what have i done ?

DX grunt
30th March 2011, 10:47 PM
Please explain, what have i done ?

Nominating two different brands of regulators. I had the panels, now I need to know what to do from here, but you've given me heads up.

Thanks.

Ross

Dark 1
30th March 2011, 10:58 PM
Roofy's got it.

Hint for mounting, go to your local ally fab guy & get some 50x25 & 25x25 ally box cut approx 100mm longer than your panels. Mount the panels to the ally [50x25 one side & 25x25 the other] than mount through the ally to the pod through the extra ally at each as you won't be able to reach the bolts on the panels at this stage.

Dark 1
30th March 2011, 11:07 PM
Nominating two different brands of regulators. I had the panels, now I need to know what to do from here, but you've given me heads up.

Thanks.

Ross

No worries, Let me know if i can help you further mate.

AB
7th April 2011, 08:38 PM
Rossco, is there any chance of a quick little product review on your Evakool Fridge mate?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/04/15.jpg
Just chatting to a guy at BCF today and he mentioned how they keep stuff colder for longer then the Waecos and was just curious of your thoughts, Pros and Cons, etc.

They are pretty big units but for the price and they can hold a ship load!!!

I can move this to It's own thread after you reply if you want too mate.

big_fletch
7th April 2011, 08:52 PM
Truck is coming along nicely mate, keep the pics coming lol...
I haven't heard much on the everkool fridge so be good to hear your thoughts on it like AB said

Andrey
7th April 2011, 11:56 PM
Nice ride mate!

Dark 1
8th April 2011, 12:38 AM
Truck is coming along nicely mate, keep the pics coming lol...
I haven't heard much on the everkool fridge so be good to hear your thoughts on it like AB said

Mate of mine runs a local TJM store & swears by Evakool [they make the icemate fridge & there own ]. The fiberglass evakool is supposed to be more efficent than the plastic icemate, according to him.

DX grunt
8th April 2011, 12:53 AM
Rossco, is there any chance of a quick little product review on your Evakool Fridge mate?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/04/15.jpg
Just chatting to a guy at BCF today and he mentioned how they keep stuff colder for longer then the Waecos and was just curious of your thoughts, Pros and Cons, etc.

They are pretty big units but for the price and they can hold a ship load!!!

I can move this to It's own thread after you reply if you want too mate.

I bought my fridge from...
http://www.australiandirect.com.au/product.php/9/95-litre-evakool-fridgemate---fridge-freezer-----free-shipping-australia-wide-/649e8eb37d1557b4f539bd2677a4caec

Have a good look, he even does a video.

I'm pretty sure this guy is from Adelaide, but it was shipped from Queensland during the later stages of the floods and it arrived on the date they said it would be here. I'm impressed – given the circumstances QLD was enduring.

I love it. It's the 95lt version and it's big - very big. Converts to fridge or freezer or both. 5 yr warranty. In yrs 3, 4, and 5, you have to get it serviced and the serviced card needs to be signed off by an authorized dealer.

I accidently knocked mine and it fell from the pod onto the ground. It was empty and landed on the motor end.
One corner has a slight 'compression mark' on the plastic, but it still works fine. I probably voided my warranty, but I'll still follow protocols.
I was spewing!! I guess it was either slippery on the bottom, or it was wet and slid on the white paint, or when I knocked it, I gave it a good heave ho- without realizing it.

I had it going for about 10hrs a day, for 12 days, on a 750w – 2 stroke generator and went through about 5lts of fuel a day. Lowest temp mine got was about -16 to -18, and my son in law's smaller Engel got to about -20.

It does take quite a while to get really cold, so I followed Plassy's advice and turned it on a couple of days before and made sure everything that needed to be frozen was put in there frozen. Saves heaps of time and 12v power. No problems with power when plugged into my 12v in the pod - except when I stop my truck. Still gotta sort the 12v out, but it works fine.

More than happy with the free shipping. It would have cost me at least $50-$60 in fuel to collect it in person, but it was delivered to my home town via courier truck. Very impressed.

It is very tall, and I can’t open the lid fully in the pod. That’s my only gripe. I would like to see a white handled grip on the opposite end to the motor. That would be nice. The plastic moulded one is quite acceptable.

At the campsite, I put it on a table, to keep it out of the sand. Recommended that nothing is within 5cm of fan motor - to allow air in/out. Turned it off at night and temp rose to above 0 deg, but just turned it on in the morning and it didn't take long to cool down again.

I've only taken it on the one camping trip, and initially I was 'challenged' but as I became more confident with it, the more I liked it. Can’t wait to set it up on solar and a deep cycle battery.

There is a slider for the Evakool range from this guy, but I’m not sure if it will hold a fully loaded 95lt fridge. From memory, I think the slide could hold up to 80kg. You’ll have to check it out. I just strap mine down in the back.

Here’s the link from MySwag.org for more reviews
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=11609.0

If you want to start a thread on ‘Fridge/freezers’, feel free to use the info I have provided.
Copy/paste away.

Take care out there.
Ross
DX grunt

Sir Roofy
8th April 2011, 10:04 AM
another tip that we do is wrap our frozen goods in a couple of sheets of news paper
works a treat

AB
8th April 2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks for that Rossco!!!

DX grunt
8th April 2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks for that Rossco!!!

Thanks for thanking me. I'm really thankful. I noticed. lolol

GUtsy ute
8th April 2011, 09:24 PM
Hi Ross,
X2 on your positive comments about your Evakool fridge.
Ihave the 80l white fibreglass one and couldn't be happier with it.
It's seen a lot of Australia and never given any trouble.
I like the full use of the cabinet(no lost space to the compressor), and with the compressor on the outside its much easier to keep space around it for the air flow.
Here is a pic of the slide I made.
Cheers Gavin

racey000
27th April 2011, 09:46 PM
That is quite a setup you have there, I like the spare wheel carriers

DX grunt
12th May 2011, 07:33 PM
Outa debt on the solar panels. lol. Now time to hunt round for a regulator and probably will go with a 3rd battery/holder under the pod.
95lt fridge and all the other fruit to run off the 2nd battery is a bit too much I think.

Stay tuned for the next update.

Dark 1
12th May 2011, 07:52 PM
Good stuff mate, welcome to the solar generation.

DX grunt
12th May 2011, 07:57 PM
I love Gavin's fridge slide (just above this thread), but would prefer a fridge to slide in/out length ways. I really need 1/2 - 23rds of my pod to be for sleeping space. Our double bed inner spring fits in just nice, and I'd prefer that than my swag - occasionally of course. I'm not interested in towing a trailer, except for local trips when I need to cart around wood, and basically for convenience sake, ie, lift a lid on the box in the trailer, instead of pulling everything out of the truck, then having to put it back.

When I'm buy myself I can rough it, but the missus likes a creature comfort (as well as my comfort). lol

big_fletch
12th May 2011, 08:00 PM
I will be watching for the updates mate, good to hear its all coming together smoothly

DX grunt
7th July 2011, 10:36 PM
Mod time again......

Getting serious with camping now and got a quote for a 3 metre annex put on the left hand side, so I can drive out, drive in.
It's gunna be zipped onto the top, so when I wanna wheel or fish, I unzip, take off, and on my return, berth it like a ship.
Mozzie net and a window will be a standard feature.

patch697
7th July 2011, 10:45 PM
Looking forward to some pics Rossco..... It sounds neat.

fixer982
7th July 2011, 11:03 PM
x2 on waiting fo rthe pictures, Rossco. I thought of something along the same lines myself, but not many in Adelaide game to even quote.

DX grunt
8th July 2011, 07:28 AM
x2 on waiting fo rthe pictures, Rossco. I thought of something along the same lines myself, but not many in Adelaide game to even quote.

The quote's a verbal quote at this stage. They're asking nearly $1,800. They need to properly measure up and requote, but at least it's a ballpark figure. Looking about August sometime.

There's only me and the missus, so I don't want to have to cart a trailer around. We're happy to live out of plastic boxes at this stage. The biggest issue for us is sand. As you know, it gets absolutely everywhere. Down around the south coast, it gets pretty blowey, so I need to stop the sand.

It's done in this concept, but more permanent. I wanna be able to 'drive in - drive out'

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Holidays022.jpg http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Holidays020.jpg

The one pictured is a Wanderer RV deluxe shade. Good for an overnighter or somewhere where there's no wind, but not really adequate for what I want.

Level ground is definitely an advantage too. lol

Rossco

Dark 1
8th July 2011, 09:01 PM
Tops mate looking foward to the piccies.

big_fletch
8th July 2011, 09:11 PM
Sounds good mate, can't wait to see some pics of this annex setup, sounds very unique.. Would be a ripper on those slightly more extended stays.. Nice pics as well mate

Clunk
9th July 2011, 03:00 PM
sounds like a top notch idea mate, looking forward to seeing how it all works out

DX grunt
30th July 2011, 01:22 PM
Time to refresh and put all the pics in the same place!!!

This is my home away from home - a work in progress.

Enjoy.

G’day all

Here’s my set up of my 2005 vintage, ex Telstra 4.2 TDI ute that I’ve set up as a camper.

I’ve had it for just over 2 years and starting to get serious about camping/beach fishing.

I’ve been a DJ (Desk Jockey) all my life and pay for most things to get done.

Please, enjoy. I like pics too. lol

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/Mytruck18Jun2010005-1.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/StirlingRanges029.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/Mytruck18Jun2010012.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/Unofficialtripreport006.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Gruntsden003.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Holidays020.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Holidays022.jpg

I’m in the process of ‘solarizing’ my truck. I’ve got 2 x 125w BP Solar panels. All I need now is a regulator and the associated bits and pieces.

One panel will be solely dedicated to my 95lt evakool fridge/freezer, and the other for my ‘creature comforts’
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt004.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Evakoolfridge002.jpg

All recovery gear
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Allrecoverygear007.jpg
• Spade
• Shovel
• Rake
• Broom
• Block splitter
• Jemmy
• Fold up shovel
• Chain – 2,900kg
• Gloves
• Large block of wood for propping up jack
• First aid kit – massive!
• Ironman 4 x 4 Flo Max HD compressor - max pressure 150psi
• Stihl MS311 chainsaw
• Jumper leads
• Snatch block – 8,000kg
• Snatch strap – 10,000kg
• Tree trunk protector
• Winch extension strap – 4,000kg
• Emergency tow rope
• Recovery bridle/tree trunk protector 10,000kg
• ARB recovery damper

Fire extinguisher
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Allrecoverygear010.jpg
That’s it for the moment

Take care out there.

Rossco

DX grunt
30th July 2011, 01:23 PM
Refreshing - again

Sand flags and flouro vest
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Allrecoverygear008.jpg

Underneath storage compartments of pod
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Allrecoverygearstoragecomp.jpg
Right hand compartment (driver’s side)
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Allrecoverygearstorage002.jpg
Left hand side (passenger’s side)
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Allrecoverygearstorage001.jpg

Warn Winch – 9,000kg
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Allrecoverygear009.jpg

DX grunt
30th July 2011, 01:23 PM
Please turn back a page..... My story starts there. Thanks.Refreshing.... again....

Small solar panel to top up the accessories.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt010.jpg
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/solarsetup004.jpg

Separate, independent storage for flamables
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt007.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/ExtraMoreDXgrunt008.jpg

12v set up in pod
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Evakooland12v006.jpg

Quick, no fuss, easy to set up tyre table
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Tyretable003.jpg

Front recovery point (same on opposite front side)
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/BoatHarbourTripprep002.jpg
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DXgruntfrontrecoverypoints001.jpg

Rear recovery point
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/BoatHarbourTripprep005.jpg

2 x spare tyres and pivot for easier handling
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Mytruck18Jun2010003.jpg
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Mytruck18Jun2010002.jpg

Medium to long term camping can be accommodated using a swag and or 3 room tent - like this.......
For short term stuff, I prefer using the inner spring and sleep in the back of the pod, with the mozzie net - like this...
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Gruntsden007.jpg

Stay tuned for more pics.....

Clunk
30th July 2011, 02:18 PM
Tidy tidy, so have you fitted those larger panels yet????

DX grunt
30th July 2011, 02:27 PM
Tidy tidy, so have you fitted those larger panels yet????

Nooooo. I'm gunna wait until I get all my electrical stuff I need and drop it off at the auto leckies and say "fix it"!

I guarantee it will be all sorted by the time I go away in December!

I'm going to be self sufficient for 3 weeks over Xmas, camping next to the beach, in the middle of no where, relying solely on what I have with me - except maybe one trip to the shop to top up supplies.

I want to cryovac all my meat, and rely on my fishing techniques to supplement the packet stuff. lol.

It's really gunna be a good test to see how much I can fit into my 95lt Evakool fridge/freezer.

Dark 1
30th July 2011, 05:17 PM
I've said it before & i'll say it again THAT IS ONE TOP SETUP!!

DX grunt
30th July 2011, 05:21 PM
I've said it before & i'll say it again THAT IS ONE TOP SETUP!!

Thanks, buddy.

I was amazed how far I've modded in 12 months - once I put all my sheet in one place, and combined all the pics.

I'm definitely not 12v minded, so I'm just gunna take it to a leckie one day and pick it up, fixed! lol

Rossco

Dark 1
30th July 2011, 05:26 PM
The panels look great on the roof of the pod.

DX grunt
30th July 2011, 06:03 PM
The panels look great on the roof of the pod.

Thanks. They'll look better bolted to the roof, and operating - instead of still in the cardboard box! lol

Woof
30th July 2011, 09:11 PM
Looking great Ross, will have to catch up and have a look, as soon as this cold weather leaves us mate.

timbar
30th July 2011, 10:19 PM
All looks the Goods mate well done

big_fletch
31st July 2011, 11:21 AM
Still just a top looking rig Ross! Gotta love those ex Telstra trolls (looks like they make a very comfy bed) lol

Timmo
1st August 2011, 10:07 PM
awsome rig man

DX grunt
10th August 2011, 03:54 PM
Moving one step closer to my dream......

Found the electrical fault draining the batteries all the time....... a dodgy battery. Now fixed.

Back number plate light wasn't working so they fixed it. Put this new fancy, wait for it....LED number plate light (4 little bulbs - God bless 'em)
I'm blinging! lol

Taking my truck in on Friday to get brackets fitted to the roof so that I can attach my annex to.

Then..........Solar Panels go on. Did you hear that Jon (The Flying Badger)...Solar panels go on. lolol

Take care out there.

Rossco

nowoolies
10th August 2011, 04:15 PM
keep the piccies comming Ross
looking great the bus mate

big_fletch
10th August 2011, 04:51 PM
Sounds good Ross, keep them pics coming mate hahaha

AB
10th August 2011, 05:12 PM
Nice work Rossco, keep em coming mate!

Dark 1
10th August 2011, 06:00 PM
Keep the pics coming mate, you know we love pics, becoming a weapon of a ute.

TheFlyingBadger
10th August 2011, 06:09 PM
Moving one step closer to my dream......
Solar Panels go on. Did you hear that Jon (The Flying Badger)...Solar panels go on. lolol

:jawdrop::Yahoo!:

DX grunt
13th August 2011, 12:18 PM
Like many other 4wd enthusiasts, my truck is a work in progress.

My latest mod is a bracket for a 3m annex. The annex will be accessible from the left hand side of my truck, and comprise front and rear doors, side window, mozzie screens and a floor.

The annex will be angled to allow for rain run off.

I’ve designed it, but my wife wants a couple of changes, and again, she’s correct.

The principle behind the annex is to drive in/drive out, without having to pack and unpack the annex.

I’m getting a local small business to make my mod, and to say I’m excited, is an understatement.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Whatsnew002.jpg
The bracket goes the length of the pod, which will stop that annoying rain from dripping down the sides and flooding the back, when the doors are up .

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Whatsnew001.jpg
The ‘railing’ will allow for the canvas to slide along nicely. Just over the lip will be a zip, so I can separate the railing from the annex and drive away.

Getting my driving skills honed in will be a challenge to start with, but I guess it’s like reversing a trailer. Lol……..Some days it’s first go, others it’s 10-15 goes to get it right. Hahaha

The almost finished roof mod….. the solar panels in place – (for display purposes only, Jon. Lol)
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Whatsnew003.jpg

I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Next mod is to set up the panels, buy a regulator, hook it up, and I’m away.

My tax return should put a big dent in another mod. ….a NGT, HF radio. Have them on our work vehicles, and I love them. So simple and easy to use.

That’s all I have to tantalize your tastebuds, so stay tuned.

I’m going away to the beach and will be totally independent for 3 weeks, so, it will happen sooner, rather than later.

Stay tuned.

And finally, a pic of me with my pride and joy.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Whatsnew004.jpg

Take care out there.

Rossco

growler2058
13th August 2011, 03:25 PM
Very nice mate

Woof
13th August 2011, 04:04 PM
Very nice work there Ross, you are looking good as well mate

DX grunt
13th August 2011, 07:01 PM
Very nice work there Ross, you are looking good as well mate

Thanks, mate. You were suppose to notice the shirt and matching trackie pants I was wearing, not me. lol

growler2058
13th August 2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks, mate. You were suppose to notice the shirt and matching trackie pants I was wearing, not me. lol

Tracky Dax?? I thought they were a loose pair of spandex bike pants hahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

DX grunt
13th August 2011, 07:12 PM
Tracky Dax?? I thought they were a loose pair of spandex bike pants hahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

The winter version of summer. lol

Sir Roofy
13th August 2011, 07:16 PM
looking snappy in the shirt mate,your rig is comming along well will be interesting to
see the final package especialy your awning

DX grunt
13th August 2011, 07:28 PM
looking snappy in the shirt mate,your rig is comming along well will be interesting to
see the final package especialy your awning

Thanks, Roofy.

It's looking like about $2.5k for the final product, with all the essential bling. I'm really excited!!!

I give credit to the local small business owner who put the bracket up. Must have changed his mind and went for option 2 - the Taj Maharl version.
He was a man of his word and stuck to his verbal quote - even though, I firmly believe, he well and truly under quoted.

He made the comment.."I won't be in a hurry to do one of them again".

I'll be using him again for any work I need doing - and I'm sure he won't under quote next time or the time after!

Take care out there.

Rossco

Woof
13th August 2011, 08:54 PM

Well mate, that is what I was referring to, you old bugger....lololololol

DX grunt
15th August 2011, 05:08 PM
DX grunt won a prize!!!!! http://www.gonebush.org/t487-from-little-things-big-things-grow-competition

A 1 metre strip of 12v LED lighting.

It gives me a bit more incentive to get my truck modded up.

Take care out there.

Rossco

snicko
15th August 2011, 05:29 PM
DX grunt won a prize!!!!! http://www.gonebush.org/t487-from-little-things-big-things-grow-competition

A 1 metre strip of 12v LED lighting.

It gives me a bit more incentive to get my truck modded up.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Well done Rossco on winning. I went to vote for you but for the life of me could not work out how too...........(Blond dumb ar5e moment or two!!)

So excellent work.

Look forward to seeing the lights in action.

DX grunt
16th August 2011, 08:10 PM
just bought this new mod, today.

http://www.dealme.com.au/deal/national/no-more-are-we-there-yet-199-car-roof-mountable-dv/

Time to just start buying stuff and leaving the truck with the leckie for a day to fit it all.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Maxhead
16th August 2011, 08:19 PM
How you supposed to drive and play games or watch the dvd Rossco? LOL

Looks the goods mate.

Woof
16th August 2011, 08:25 PM
How you supposed to drive and play games or watch the dvd Rossco? LOL

Looks the goods mate.

It comes with a Joystick Kris, that's how mate...LOL

Maxhead
16th August 2011, 08:26 PM
It comes with a Joystick Kris, that's how mate...LOL

now, that's multitasking for ya.....

DX grunt
16th August 2011, 08:26 PM
Gotta have some creature comforts when I'm sleeping on my double bed inner spring matress. lol

nowoolies
16th August 2011, 08:44 PM
just bought this new mod, today.

http://www.dealme.com.au/deal/national/no-more-are-we-there-yet-199-car-roof-mountable-dv/

Time to just start buying stuff and leaving the truck with the leckie for a day to fit it all.

Take care out there.

Rossco

not three bad at all Ross
think i might get one for the grand kids

DX grunt
20th August 2011, 12:05 PM
Well, I've done it again! Thought about what else needs doing to my truck!

We've (mostly the missus) has changed the design of my annex.

It's still gunna come out 3 metres on the left hand side, but, there's gunna be a 1 metre addition towards the passenger door to allow space for a shower and dunny.

MY rule will be no going to the dunny, in a confined space, on a hot day. lol. That's what the great outdoors is for. To embrace nature and smell the gum leaves. lol

and, I HAVE decided that we need an awning, so we're gunna have one 5m long x 3m deep that goes from the end extremity of the annex to the back right hand side of the pod.

The missus dropped a bombshell by saying she wants new seats in the cab! Cough, splutter. The originals aren't comfortable enough! Really, how much room is there in a ute for tall people anyway? lol

Got it measured up yesterday and gunna drop it off in a couple of weeks for it all to happen. Unfortunately I won't see the work in progress until the finished product, coz I'll be in the big smoke, but I'm hoping the canvas people will get some pics.

Space is now an issue. The price for the mod is looking more like a small camper, but we chose not to get a camper. We're also gunna ditch the double bed inner spring and get a very good quality foam matress, so that we can put all our stuff on the floor of the pod and put the matress on top.

Inflatable matresses are out. I don't want to be bounced out of bed when the missus rolls over. Remember the old waterbeds when they first came out? "Dear, have you taken your seasick pill yet"? lol

What a great idea - a water bed that doubles as a fresh water supply! lol - not at the moment, thanks - I'm drinking too much water to get a comfortable night's sleep and don't want to end up sleeping on cold aluminium!

Take care, and stay tuned.

Rossco

DX grunt
7th September 2011, 07:57 PM
A quick update.....

Ditched the inner spring and got a good quality foam matress Works well, yet to be christened. Now I can stick all the stuff on the floor and matress on top. It's unbelievable how much space there is in those pods.

Only 2 more sleeps and I leave it at the canvas shop and pick it up the following 3 weeks with a 4m annex - including room for a dunny and shower. Apparently soap and canvas aren't good friends, so the shower is gunna be PVC. We're gunna have an awning from the end of the annex to the other side of the back of the truck - a total of 5m of annex.

I'm getting excited.

Take care out there.

Rossco

GUtsy ute
7th September 2011, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a great addition Rosscoe,
Will love to see the pics of the finished set up.
There is heaps of room in the pods as you said, I love mine and will never stop
tinkering with mods and additions.

You won't know yourselves with all that room!
Great idea with the shower and toilet too.

Bigrig
7th September 2011, 08:11 PM
Yep - sounds great boss!! The awning is a good size too.

Woof
7th September 2011, 08:11 PM
Sounds great Ross, can't wait to see it mate.

hugebbq
10th September 2011, 05:17 PM
nice setup mate

macca
10th September 2011, 06:43 PM
You are a good man Rosco, a toot that close to camp mmm not on my watch :animierte-smilies-f
Real interested to see the rest of the new set up
Go the pods they are the best
Macca

DX grunt
10th September 2011, 06:44 PM
You are a good man Rosco, a toot that close to camp mmm not on my watch :animierte-smilies-f
Real interested to see the rest of the new set up
Go the pods they are the best
Macca

Thanks Macca.

Can't wait, either. Will have plenty of pics when I work out how it goes.

DX grunt
27th September 2011, 07:39 PM
A quick update on the annex/awning............................

The supplier sent the wrong type of zip, so I'm gunna have to wait. Hopefully pick it up on Friday 07th October.

Apparently there's 17 zips in it. Gunna take a bit of getting used to. lol

Will talk soon.

Take care out there.

Rossco

DX grunt
1st October 2011, 07:31 AM
I had a quick peek and it's all coming together. They're gunna try and put it all together this weekend. More reports to follow. lol

No pics just yet.

patch697
1st October 2011, 09:25 AM
I had a quick peek and it's all coming together. They're gunna try and put it all together this weekend. More reports to follow. lol

No pics just yet.

Spoken like a true old timer.........................hahahahahahahaha

Sir Roofy
1st October 2011, 04:28 PM
A quick update on the annex/awning............................

The supplier sent the wrong type of zip, so I'm gunna have to wait. Hopefully pick it up on Friday 07th October.

Apparently there's 17 zips in it. Gunna take a bit of getting used to. lol

Will talk soon.

Take care out there.

Rossco

strueth a motel on wheels,and a tellythingy as well,built in toilet?&shower,make sure the water runs away not under --pml
realy looking forward to seeing it now mate,wont you need to pump up the air bags a bit more for the extra wieght of the awning
and water
roofy

DX grunt
10th October 2011, 11:32 PM
Another creature comfort mod.

Heard alot about these things, and found this one on one of those junk emails you occasionally get. Tried it once and love it.

It's gunna save a heap of time cooking when I'm away. Freeze most of my meals and keep them 'Evakool' until they need defrosting

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/cryovac.jpg

Take care out there.

Rossco

PS: I pick my truck up tomorrow with the new annex/awning. Hope I sleep tonight. lol

nowoolies
10th October 2011, 11:35 PM
waitin waitin waitin

piccies we luv piccies

DX grunt
10th October 2011, 11:39 PM
waitin waitin waitin

piccies we luv piccies

Me tooooooooo. lol

Dr Drift
13th October 2011, 01:58 AM
nice

Dr Drift..

DX grunt
13th October 2011, 08:44 AM
Dawn has just broken in the west so I'm off out to my truck to set up my 'home away from home' and start taking happy snaps. Stay tuned.

patch697
13th October 2011, 09:51 AM
Dawn has just broken in the west so I'm off out to my truck to set up my 'home away from home' and start taking happy snaps. Stay tuned.

I had an interesting email this morning Rossco reporting this thread......... The reason given was "It's too nice"................hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

For real..... I really did...............hahahahahahahahahahaha

DX grunt
13th October 2011, 10:05 AM
Photo's taken, and in the process of being downloaded. Be patient!!!! lol

growler2058
13th October 2011, 10:52 AM
Photo's taken, and in the process of being downloaded. Be patient!!!! lol

Two hrs 10 minutes since ya started, gettin better mate! hahahahahahhahahahahahhaaha

DX grunt
13th October 2011, 11:39 AM
Well folks, I’m living my dream.

This is what I’ve done to my ex Telstra Ute. It’s been a lot of planning, researching and foruming. lol

Please don’t be too judgemental of the cosmetics. This is the first time I’ve set it up and it’s in a restricted area – my front lawn. I know tent poles need readjusting ect, so come with me on my vision and enjoy the ride.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, DX Grunt – in the flesh.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning014-1.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning015.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning016.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning017.jpg

The annex across the back is 5m long x 3m wide - going the length of the annex plus across the back of the truck.

DX grunt
13th October 2011, 11:40 AM
In front of the main living area, we’ve included a 1m extension room for a shower/toilet area.
Apparently soap and canvas aren’t good friends, so we had to go with PVC.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning020.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning024.jpg

Shower cubicle – a work in progress, but still capable of keeping us clean.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning026.jpg

The 1m extension is big enough to fit my 95lt Evakool fridge/freezer in – sideways.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning027.jpg

DX grunt
13th October 2011, 11:40 AM
Left hand pod door closed
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning029.jpg

Left pod door closed, awning in ‘lock down mode’
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning030.jpg

Quality press studs were used to hold up the skirting.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning028.jpg

The skirting
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning023.jpg

DX grunt
13th October 2011, 11:41 AM
The back door – it also has a zip down, weather proof door.
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning032.jpg

The makers of this fine product. I have no affiliation with this business, just one damn happy camper!!
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Annexawning031.jpg

Well, I hope you enjoyed meeting DX grunt. My wife and I are going to have many happy hours of camping….once we get the setting up and pulling down sorted! lol

DX grunt
13th October 2011, 11:45 AM
Forgot to mention, it's got a floor for the main living area, but forgot to set it up. Doh!

growler2058
13th October 2011, 11:54 AM
Very very coool Rossco well done mate

DX grunt
13th October 2011, 11:55 AM
My next mod. It is happening Jon! lol
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Whatsnew003.jpg

DX grunt
13th October 2011, 11:56 AM
Don't know why some pics are so bit. I had them all on the same setting ??????

DX grunt
13th October 2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks. It's just the beginning. Lots of trials and errors and fixing. lol

Silver
13th October 2011, 12:08 PM
Very nice DXGrunt, and thanks for taking the time to share the photos!

Sir Roofy
13th October 2011, 01:25 PM
Good question plassy where does it go

very good rossco worth the wait,and it is free standing if you wantto drive around ?
Just like the concept of it
have you considered a couple of fluro ropes for nite adventures around camp
so you dont trip over

Maxhead
13th October 2011, 01:26 PM
Mate, what a sensational set-up, who needs a camper trailer when you have the DX GRUNT!!!!!!!! Well done mate, very nice

patch697
13th October 2011, 02:37 PM
Bloody brilliant brother........ Your gonna be happy as a pig in poo with that mate.

Simply love what you've done with the place...........hahahahah

DX grunt
13th October 2011, 03:31 PM
Good question plassy where does it go

very good rossco worth the wait,and it is free standing if you wantto drive around ?
Just like the concept of it
have you considered a couple of fluro ropes for nite adventures around camp
so you dont trip over

Haven't thought about lighting seriously yet. It's an OSH reps dream to see all those tripping hazards. Looking for any advice/info, so feel free to contribute.

Rossco

DX grunt
13th October 2011, 03:33 PM
DROOL!! That is one awesome setup Rossco! Self contained, self sufficient and mobile - you really are living the dream mate!

And if your Evacool can fit sideways in the toilet area then so should you....LOL!

Can you please show us some pics of it all packed up too? Where does it go? In the pod or on the roof?

I've changed my inner spring matress to a high quality foam. The idea is to put all my stuff on the floor on the pod and to put the foam matress on top. That way, I don't really loose any floor storage space.

Not much room on the roof. Gotta put 2 x 125w solar panels up there yet.

macca
13th October 2011, 06:50 PM
Awesome to see it Rosco you must be a happy man.
Do you have to pack it away to drive the ute away fom camp? And how long does it take to set up and pack away?
It looks as you described so all should be good now its done.
Macca

snicko
13th October 2011, 07:28 PM
Looks great Rossco. Well worth the wait I bet. Now you just have to christen it and take more pics I hope.

Hope to catch you one day out using it all.

Clunk
13th October 2011, 11:18 PM
awesome awesome set upp there Rossco, especially like aection where your pod door open up inside..............very very neat and tidy indeed, nice one mate

DX grunt
13th October 2011, 11:39 PM
Awesome to see it Rosco you must be a happy man.
Do you have to pack it away to drive the ute away fom camp? And how long does it take to set up and pack away?
It looks as you described so all should be good now its done.
Macca

Hey Macca

Reverse in, drive out. Will post some pics tomorrow morning, if it's not raining. Didn't realize there were so many guy ropes needed. lol

Left hand mirror might be an issue, but it's all practice, practice, practice. lol

That was the first time I set it up and it was a bit squashy between the trees on the front lawn. Took about 3 hrs to set up, but I still need to mark the poles ect, but I've noticed it's gunna be a challenge, every time I set it up, coz there's no 2 scenarios that will be the same. lol