PDA

View Full Version : Bullbar mount crack - fixed

grayz
12th August 2012, 09:34 PM
Hi guys,

Discovered a crack in the right hand mount point of the factory steel bull bar on the GU7 2010 patrol during the pre-trip prep, so thought I'd better get it sorted. Didn't want the thing to fall off along the Gibb River road!

Went to a local boat fabricator who helped me out at short notice. They repaired the faulty crack and welded and extra bit of rail on both sides for some extra strength. Even whacked on a bit of paint to make it all clean after the weld. Bullbar survived the trip and a lot of corrugations and bumps, so job well done!

Cheers,
Nick

threedogs
12th August 2012, 09:59 PM
Thats handy to know, maybe others with factory bar should check for signs of fatigue, I should laser cut some gussets for future repairs.
Never seen them fail there before

grayz
12th August 2012, 10:12 PM
Yeah, the guy who repaired it said where the crack started looked like a weak point .. the small half circle cutout where the rail finishes/starts and the crack starts is probably a bit small in diameter and maybe a design flaw ...

I've heard rumours of a few factory bull bars falling off the 200 series because of a mount point failure

threedogs
12th August 2012, 10:16 PM
Everything falls off a 200s.
Maybe there is a lead in cut from the laser just enough to start it tearing there as its just at the end of the fold.
good you caught it early