PDA

View Full Version : 2inch lift on a 05 GU 4.2TDI

maverick01
12th August 2012, 07:02 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys,

I am looking at installing a 2inch lift OME brand to the GU, The GU has a steel front bar,winch, dual batteries,soon to have brush bars if i can find them to suit an air bag compatible bull bar, soon to have single rear drawer system so wont have much weight in the rear at all times and tows a off road camper a few times a month.

Now i have already been quoted for a OME setup, which includes heavy duty springs, nitro chager sport shocks, steeing dampner,rear sway bar link extensions.

I realise not all GUs require a castor bush replacements. But my concern is will i need to change the panhard rods and will i need to fit extended brake lines. The car will be mainly setup for the touring side of things as i recently sold the 5inch lifted GQ so the fun times have ended so the wife thinks.

I have never done a 2inch lift on a patrol as all the otehr patrols i had also had a 5inch lift to them by myself.

threedogs
12th August 2012, 07:15 AM
You wont need any extras with the 2" lift, just coils and shocks.

Lieney
12th August 2012, 07:53 AM
As threedogs states.
I have a GU IV and have a 2 inch lift, which raised it about 3". No need for other stuff with only 2".
I got medium Tough Dog springs and shocks in rear, standard in front. Bar, winch, sliders etc and runs real well unloaded and went like a dream through the simpson full as.

threedogs
12th August 2012, 08:09 AM
Would you really need the H/D coils, might make it a bit firm. I've installed the 2" EFS as soft as they could go. My mods are 2x batteries, winch, all the usual suspects. Mine flexs well with good ride comfort

stets
12th August 2012, 09:49 AM
I highly recommend extended brake lines on a 2" lift. I have seen too many times sway bar links and shocks fail under full extension causing undue stress on brake lines often causing small tears meaning your brakes may loose pressure when you need them most. For the price you spend on braided extended brake lines it's a comfort worth knowing

Tap,tap,tapping in your head

Hindar
14th August 2012, 01:47 PM
You wont need any extras with the 2" lift, just coils and shocks.

Thanks Threedogs, this is also my question.

Morton
14th August 2012, 06:38 PM
dont forget about your rear brake proportioning valve, when you lift the rear by 50mm (often ends up more) you should also adjust the valve spring, many will tell you it is not needed but dont listen, it is needed 100%, it is actuated by weight in the rear to compensate for the additional weight & the braking required to pull up a heavier vehicle, hence you lift it it doesnt do its job, you will feel it in an emergency braking situation especially when towing something, do the adjustment, one day it will save your life

ibs87
14th August 2012, 09:13 PM
what would upgrade the suspension without a lift? i find my patrol is real stiff over bumps and stuff. WA roads arn't the most smoothest. I had a toughdog setup on me old patrol but that had a 3" lift. would changing springs n shocks fix it??

stets
16th August 2012, 03:52 PM
Change to tough dog big bore adjustable shocks. Set the harshness of your ride to suit your personal taste

Tap,tap,tapping in your head

ibs87
18th August 2012, 04:06 PM
so just changing shocks would do?.. nothing else