PDA

View Full Version : Remote Central Locking Install

Irvs
12th August 2012, 02:15 AM
Gday guys, my Mongoose central locking (MDK4100G) and remote keyless entry system (MCL2000) rocked up the friday arvo after work so with the mediocre instructions that came with it i pretty much went on a wing and a prayer and fitted them into my maverick hoping for it to work all smoothly when I pressed that little black button the first time.

Started on the rear doors first because I thought they would be the biggest trick because the lock button is closer to the B pillar, on taking the door card off my first thoughts where that I would have to cut the door somewhere and that no matter where I put it, it would interfere with the windows but eventually I managed to squeeze it in behind the outside handle near the lock mechanism and run the wire parallel with door lock wire as it runs mostly horizontal through the rear doors, I drilled a couple of holes in the door skin to mount the actuator with the supplied screws, I just located it where I wanted it and drill the first hole then fixed it in place and held another actuator against it to find where the next hole needed to go, worked fine till the last door.....

Rear Drivers side

Close Up

On my rear drivers side I should have shortened the wire more as I did on the last door (Passenger Rear) but as I started on this door I was dubious about cutting it short, It has a fair bit of resistance in the push and pull as it is now and when you move the lock by hand it is quite stiff but it still operates fine so I'm leaving it for now.

The front doors where easy to fit the actuator, the hardest part was actually getting the wire in past the speaker wire as its a pre terminated loom with 5 bullet head style crimp connectors on it but I managed, fixed the actuator in the same fashion as the rear door, held another up for reference and drilled, they aren't going anywhere the way I screwed them in, 40mm screws through the plastic housing of the actuator (supplied in install kit)

Front Door

Close Up

I Fit the control box up above the drivers bay fuse box with some double sided tape as it's only about 50mm square and light to boot so I didn't want to drill through the steel and have bolt holes showing, I also mounted the Remote Entry relay/reciever at the same height but towards the engine bay more with double sided tape again, ran the loom with the CB wires through the back of the centre console and under the glovebox and down the passenger bay plastic cladding for the left side. No photos of the control box gear sorry, it was late and I forgot.

The keyless system comes with an LED blinking light the you can mount somewhere visible from outside the car to give you confirmation that it's locked (Also looks like an Immobiliser light/deterrent) which I mounted out the side of the plug/screw cover just above the Instrument cluster and near the base of the A pillar on the drivers side, there is also 2 pink leads that are the indicator flash wires for the visual confirmation of locking/unlocking, I just took them straight to the front indicators and wired them in and it worked fine.

If you wanted to put another brand of keyless entry system w/immobiliser or alarm system that's possible too with the Central locking kit as the control box that controls the actuators just has a brown and a white wire on it that you hook into.

Was a relatively simple job, bout a 3 out of 10 on the difficulty scale, was time consuming for me as this is the first time I'd pulled any panels off the maverick, Only had it for 3 days and it was dark when I started. Took me 8 hours and boy was I glad when I got to bed, absolutely knackered.

Will do the rear barn door as well but need to get another actuator first, will pick one up from Jaycar, was going to set it up on the secondary output of the Remote system but I would need to fit in a relay or two more and it's just not worth the extra tinkering.

Also the remotes come with the capability of fitting a key inside which I haven't done yet but may, not sure about it just yet.

Also installed some LED strip under my hood for lighting the engine bay ( nothing worse than getting someone else to hold a torch and they wander around with the light), runs off a bonnet switch from Jaycar, negative switched, works on the same principal as a fridge light, pretty happy with it, it's bloody bright alright, should only be using about 26 watts or so.

Put some in a mates Hilux rear canopy too just on a regular switch, it's crazy how bright it gets in there now.

Irvs

snewin
12th August 2012, 03:31 AM
Great work. Love the idea of the LED's under the hood on a negative switch.....I'm stealing the idea.

Irvs
12th August 2012, 10:35 PM
Haha, go for it, easy job and a 5 metre roll is about 20 bucks delivered off ebay these days

I went down to jaycar today and picked up another actuator for the rear barn door, the fit was pretty easy, just joined into the wires with some connectors near the relay box.

You can see the screw and part of the body of the actuator down the body and the wire clamp at the top of the pic

Inside the door

Wire Clamp

Overall really happy with it, cost about 170 to install and took about 10 hours total but that was mostly due to me doing it in the dark.

Irvs