PDA

View Full Version : Minimum mods to take 'trol from stock to Simpson

snewin
11th August 2012, 04:46 AM
I'm planning to take the family through the Simpson Desert in winter 2014. I'm starting to plan early due to being excited and the costs involved in taking my stock TD42T up to desert tackling condition.

Searching on here I've found excellent lists of what to check, what to take and what to see out there, but haven't had muck luck finding what I should do as a minimum to my truck.

I'll throw my initial thought out there...

Priority Stuff

Suspension upgrade plus lift
Snorkel
Dual battery system
6 off-road tyres on steel rims
Bash plate over steering components
Long range fuel tanks
Duel wheel carrier
Roof Rack & rooftop bag
Air compressor

Stuff I'd like

Intercooler
3" exhaust
Winch
Front Lokka locker

So considering I'm talking mods/upgrades only am I on the right track? Is something glaringly obvious that should be on the list?

AB
11th August 2012, 06:53 AM
You've definitely got your priorities sorted. What about a long range fuel tank or aux fuel tank?

Roof rack would also be on the priority list as well.

threedogs
11th August 2012, 07:19 AM
Can't do the Simpson without an Engel, Long range tanks is a must as fuel usage will be up around 180 ltrs.
2" lift ,new AT tyres, 2 spares on rims, dual batteries. Spare belts + hoses, Tyre repair kit
EPIRB, UHF, sand flag .Full service prior to departure

macca
11th August 2012, 07:47 AM
From your priority list you can cross the desert without a locker and possibly a bash plate, might stop sand getting in the bottom of the radiator though.

Your like list would be nice to have again not neccesary for this trip.

Long rang tanks are excellent but are pricey, lots of people use gerry cans. A car full of family make proper stowage of fuel and tyres a very attractive solution so the LR tank and rear wheel carrier though expensive will make the trip more comfortable.

Good recovery gear, as in rated snatch straps etc are a must, long handled shovels are handy digging and covering fire pits, putting coals on a camp oven, digging the toot and clearing sand from under / around a bogged vehicle.
This is a good way to carry it too,

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Shovel-Holder_22.aspx

A good mod and I mean good, dont save on this one; is a roof rack / basket. Seen poor quality ones fall off with 150kg of gear all over the side of the track.
Add a quality (e.g. MSA4x4) roof top bag and storage is taken care of. They are dust and waterproof and all the lighter bulky stuff can go up there.

http://www.msa4x4.com.au/Products/TourerPacks.asp

Something we took last time, mainly for my 80year old Dad, we all found it was a great addition to the camp.
And the ladies are happier with the toot sorted.
We set it away from camp behind a bush or sand ridge so no need for a shelter in our situation. Line with a degradeable garbage bag, it goes in the hole when packing up, burry the lot, and all is clean and tidy.

http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Jimmys-Thunderbox.html

Great time planning a trip like this, have fun.

Cheers Macca

snewin
11th August 2012, 07:54 AM
Long range fuel tank. Great idea. Don't know how I missed that one. OP edited to reflect this.

I see that 4wd Systems have two that replace the existing main and sub tanks taking the capacity to 159 and 78L respectively. 237L is a lot of fuel!

Engel, belts, hoses, puncture repair kit, tool kit, UHF and sand flag are all on the cards as is the full service.

An EPIRB is a great idea too - a quick google search shows for sale $279 or 3 weeks hire for $150 so that's cheap peace of mind, especially with 3 kids.

Recovery gear - excellent. I have an old one from Opposite Lock but it's been used a bit so I'll spring for a new kit before the trip. We're planning on getting a rooftop tent or at least an annexe off the side of a roof rack, so yeah a quality one is on the cards. If we get the rooftop tent then the dual wheel carrier is a must as there'd be no-where else to put the 6th wheel. OP edited to reflect this.

macca
11th August 2012, 08:08 AM
Was editing while you posted, sorry mate

threedogs
11th August 2012, 08:12 AM
An exhaust jack or plastic tracks might be worth considering. 2nd vehicle is best recovery item you can take

Spare MAF sensor

macca
11th August 2012, 08:18 AM
Forgot the obvious,

Ability to let air out of tyres and put it back in.

All the traction aids in the world do not compare to the tyre pressure you run.

We had 16psi in the Simpson and only got bogged once, when I tried to get over a ridge in third instead of second.
Was trying something different and it didnt work LOL

Macca

snewin
11th August 2012, 08:27 AM
Yep, the father in law is coming in his 'cruiser.

Exhaust jack is definitely on the list of things to get.

I'm adding air compressor to the OP, good one. Might install it permanently in the cargo area.

threedogs
11th August 2012, 08:31 AM
You wont need much for the Simmo , homework is your best friend here and good prep work. Don't forget your your camera for sunrise and sunset. Gotta love the Simmo

Headrest dvd player for the younger at heart.

snewin
11th August 2012, 08:38 AM
Yep we go the dvd player for the back of the headrests. Little turd loves thomas the tank engine. I have nightmares about that tune being played over and over again. Keeps him happy though.

I tried to find the MAF sensor on my rig but can't see one. Perhaps it doesn't have one. 2000 GU TD42T?

It seems as if it's more about what to take with you and less about what you do to your truck.

Stropp
11th August 2012, 11:15 AM
no maf sensor on td42.

threedogs
11th August 2012, 01:49 PM
Workshop manual, and some tools, once you have your list of everything you need to take, remembering some items may have 2 or 3 purposes.
lay it out with the father inlaws stuff. Don't double up and share equipment between the 2 vehicles.
Just remembered what about a water bladder or under body water tank? gotta have water.
2 4x4 3 to 4 people in each is a lot of water.

Thirsty
11th August 2012, 08:27 PM
Sat Phone, You don't have to buy one. you can rent them. Best to be safe than sorry.
Cheers

snewin
11th August 2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks thirsty, I saw them when I looked at the epirb. Great idea. I used to live in Raceview about 5 years age. A short stumble away from Brothers lol.

Flo-w
13th August 2012, 10:19 PM
I talked with a guy a while ago who did 4WD tours for some 30 years. He said that sand tracks or whatever you want to call them get him out when bogged in 90% of the time. And much easier and not just in sand.
It has already been mentioned but only once so I thought to push that point a bit.

BG0067
14th August 2012, 09:35 AM
Ahh -- I will be following this thread closely..

We might see you out there snewin even though there is a lot of sand. We have a similar plan for winter 2014,
Our vehicle is a 98 - 4.5. So I am slowly getting the gear organised as well.

- 50mm suspension lift.
- Long range tanks both main & aux (4.5's are thirsty buggers)
- 60 ltr water tank installed in rear cargo area.
- and assorted spares.

snewin
14th August 2012, 01:21 PM
When the time comes we'll swap itineries.

BG0067
14th August 2012, 01:26 PM
When the time comes we'll swap itineries.

Sounds like a plan

Mitch.mccabe
3rd September 2013, 05:48 PM
Awesome thread to keep in mind, How'd you go? have you done it yet

Mitch.mccabe
3rd September 2013, 05:49 PM
Don't worry re-read the OPWinter 2014

MudRunnerTD
3rd September 2013, 06:03 PM
Hey snewin are you going to join out Forum Meetup in the Middle July 2014 crossing the Simpson? Going to be a great trip.

happygu
3rd September 2013, 07:33 PM
Snewin,

You COULD cross the Simpson in a stock Patrol, and Nissan did this recently with their 50th Aniversary Trip and others have done with 2wd's, but the modifications can make it easier, safer, and more reliable....

Buy good quality gear, and most of my gear is ARB or similar quality, but I did buy a cheap crappo Roofrack, and it broke.

Keep your fuel low and out of the vehicle if possible, and that is where long range tanks come in.....
I have a stainless steel water tank, and it is great, but you could rig up an easy to use water supply using smaller gerry cans.

I wanted to keep the water low too, so that is why I made up a custom tank, which suits my needs,

Air Compressor is a must, as airing down will stop you getting stuck as often.

I carry two complete spares, and recommend it, but if you have the right tools and knowhow, you can get away with a tube or tyre carcass as your extra spare.

Pre-Trip vehicle check is a must too.

Mic

Definitely a good idea to keep your fuel low, so

megatexture
3rd September 2013, 07:38 PM
You will have to get one of ab's roof rack bags I've herd they are awesome , they are due to be ready around that time as well!
:smileyvault-cute-bi
The spare wheel bag is a quality piece of work also.

oncedisturbed
4th September 2013, 12:15 AM
i want a roof top bag :)

megatexture
4th September 2013, 01:42 AM
Ditto, lol wonder if I can pre order lol

arbee
4th September 2013, 09:15 PM
well im planning on doing the simmo next year as well so there`ll be a few of us out there, keen on the lists as well and mine is a 4.5 and agree they are thirsty, so i too will keep an eye on this thread...cheers