PDA

View Full Version : My Winch is Jammed?

ThePig
18th June 2010, 10:32 AM
Ok, I stuffed up the other week and now my winch cable is doubled over itself.

I can't pull it out, even when i put her in low range on free wheel and back up it still won't budge...

Any ideas guys, I reallllly am not too keen on cutting the wire but I might have to.

Anyone been in this situation and got it free?

the evil twin
18th June 2010, 11:00 PM
Ok, I stuffed up the other week and now my winch cable is doubled over itself.

I can't pull it out, even when i put her in low range on free wheel and back up it still won't budge...

Any ideas guys, I reallllly am not too keen on cutting the wire but I might have to.

Anyone been in this situation and got it free?

Yep.. been there done that...

Find a sturdy attachement point (tree's are good)
Winch out of gear... pull out cable until you get to the overrun
Attach cable to tree, leave winch out of gear
Select Low range reverse (don't need front hubs locked unless its really slippery ground)
Reverse back nice and slowly
If it comes out great... inspect for damage and splice if needs be
If it breaks or just will not come out time to break out the hacksaw
If you pull tree over on top of truck fill out insurance claim or hide cable and sue land owner

ThePig
18th June 2010, 11:41 PM
Well mate, it worked.

Not at the start but i ended up using half a can of CRC and some wriggling like a mad man for 5 minutes and tried again and it came free...

Saved the cut and back to normal...

Love your work! ;)

CrazyDave
18th June 2010, 11:51 PM
Been there done that too...lucky you got yours free.

I got mine tangled way back in the spool and couldn't get it free'd up...Nightmare!

the evil twin
21st June 2010, 06:19 PM
Well mate, it worked.

Not at the start but i ended up using half a can of CRC and some wriggling like a mad man for 5 minutes and tried again and it came free...

Saved the cut and back to normal...

Love your work! ;)

Hehehe... I shoulda mentioned the CRC... well done

All the tree's near my SES Unit have a suspicious lean on them from fixing Winch Overruns... a bit of Lube goes a long way to helping get the wire out from under the offending loops as you discovered

CrazyDave...
Yeah if you get a bad one then there is nothing for it but the Hacksaw/Angle Grinder/Gas Axe if it is wire. Plasma Rope is easier, just need a Stanley knife and a box of tissues (knife to cut the rope and tissues to mop up the tears when you see the cost of replacing the rope)

CrazyDave
21st June 2010, 07:23 PM
Over the years my cable seems to be getting shorter and shorter...haha

Won't be long till I run out and I'll invest in the plasma rope....Only when i run out though as i've been known to use things until they are "useless"....Like toothpaste...haha

Timbo
22nd June 2010, 07:15 PM
If you pull tree over on top of truck fill out insurance claim or hide cable and sue land owner

LOL awesome!

White_GU
22nd June 2010, 07:24 PM
^^ haha

Kind of stuffed if it's in the middle of the bush.. who can you sue then? :D

Pegged
22nd June 2010, 07:29 PM
^^ haha

Kind of stuffed if it's in the middle of the bush.. who can you sue then? :D

The local council :)

4.2 shorty
22nd June 2010, 07:58 PM
Haha.. there's an uphill battle if I ever saw one. :P

This thread was a good read. My mates 80 series Cruiser has a jammed winch. We were only talking on the weekend about how to unjam it. Now i can tell him that the solution was found on the NISSAN FORUMS.. haha.. bloody toyotas.