PDA

View Full Version : Evrigard

nickpeacock36
23rd October 2010, 12:26 AM
Hi all
i just bought one of those Evrigard rust protection gizmos off ebay. Has anybodt tried one? $169 with 8 year warranty almost sounds too good to be true.

patch697
23rd October 2010, 12:58 AM
Big chats been had on another forum about this type of product & The general feed back was there is not enough proof out there that thay work.

Sorry for not so positive feed back but thats all that came back on the subject.

Bigrig
23rd October 2010, 09:42 AM
Agreed with patch697 - they are good (supposedly) for new cars that have no paint/underbody defects where any bare metal is showing - the whole concept of the 'Cathodic Protection' is that you have a complete circuit that essentially can't be produced on cars without some other method of positively returning the electronic pulse (like fluid, some conductive material other than the body/chassis itself). Apart from the fact that there is HUGE conjecture whether the car battery in itself even produces enough voltage to adequately 'protect' the car, the system of cathodic protection breaks down the minute you expose any part of the metal (either body or chassis). Once exposed, the electrons (or whatever) cannot actually protect that part of the vehicle, and the result is it starts to rust at that spot ... sorry to be the bearer of bad news (happy to be wrong though).

By the way, the only reason I know any of this is I had an ERPS system installed in a brand new GU about 7 years ago, and sure as there is sh*t in a cat, once the car starting getting paint chips and/or underbody damage, the exposed areas started to show signs of surface rust. And yes, I know people will say "but as long as you take care of the paint etc, then it's worth it" ... not really, considering on a new car you have 6 years (minimum in Australia) warranty protection for rust development IF the paint etc are undamaged, and in a second hand car, you would have to have it resprayed/underbody sprayed at the time of purchase to warrant putting a device on (and then keep it in premium condition).

Finly Owner
23rd October 2010, 10:28 PM
Got a feeling should asked b4 buying. Well in 8 yrs ya can @least let us know. :-)

nickpeacock36
26th October 2010, 08:03 AM
Ok not what i wanted to hear, but thanks for information. Its on its way now, so i will be the Evrigard guinea pig and let you know how it goes.

ed12371
10th January 2015, 03:33 AM
Ok not what i wanted to hear, but thanks for information. Its on its way now, so i will be the Evrigard guinea pig and let you know how it goes.

Hey nickpeacock36,

In 2010, you put evrigard on your car. It is now 2015, I was just wondering if you found the product to have worked or not?

What conditions your vehicle has been through in that time?

Regards Ed.

threedogs
10th January 2015, 08:49 AM
very old thread Ed some have passed on other have left the Forum

Rock Trol
10th January 2015, 01:07 PM
My old NJ Pajero (1995) had one of these anti run systems on it, I suspect from new. It was 16 years old when I bought it and generally in good nick. However, there was some small panel damage and rust had developed on it so not sure if it was working. I was not tempted to buy one when I upgraded to the Patrol.

The other problem is that it will drain your battery if the car sits around for long periods of time. The second battery looked fairly new when I bought it but was stuffed as the car had been sitting around at the dealership for an extended period of time.