PDA

View Full Version : Hi Lift Jacking Points on new Patrol, is the tow bar safe?

BigAL.H
8th August 2012, 12:42 PM
Hi, Iv e just got a new Patrol and will be mostly sand driving when off road, have got my matrax and am getting a Hi-Lift jack. I have bought a jack mate for lifting by the wheels, a Bumper Lift for lifting from the bulbar and wondered if the need arises would it be safe to lift from the tow receiver or tow bar itself at the rear ?

MudRunnerTD
8th August 2012, 12:47 PM
Yep take the receiver out and slot the hi-lift straight into the Towbar.

I am a big fan of an Exhaust Jack for Sand mate! do yourself a favour bud, buy an Exhaust bag jack for 95% of what you are going to be using it for ;)

Les Penrose
3rd September 2012, 05:55 PM
exhaust jack is great - but be careful what it rubs up on - suggest using the floor mats as spacers

threedogs
3rd September 2012, 06:05 PM
You may find your Bullbar has cut outs to except a high lift, if not you can buy gadgets to fit your hubs so you can lift from there as well
Make sure you have a nice strong jacking plate, 300x300mm minimum.

My bad, yeah you can use the towbar, just remove the hitch receiver and insert Jack

paddywagon
8th November 2013, 08:26 PM
I have a factory steel nissan bar on my gu which does not have the capability of being lifted by my jack. Has anyone thought of and/or gone ahead with cutting some sort of slot like those arb bars that ARE compatible?

macca
8th November 2013, 09:05 PM
If you use the Hilift in the tow receiver remember it is really unsafe to do.
If you can get both rears off the ground, unlikely, it will want to move sideways. Same at the other end lifting from the middle area of the bull bar.
I firmly believe a Hilift should only lift a corner at a time, as TD said use a base plate & a lift mate (which you have) and lift the wheel then chock or block it to do what you need.

Lift Mate video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgQJDuoJORg

Plate that helps with that dangerous side movement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdfKrBAMMAI

Accessories available
http://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-recovery-equipment/hi-lift-jacks/100Accessories.php

happygu
8th November 2013, 09:09 PM
If you use the Hilift in the tow receiver remember it is really unsafe to do.
If you can get both rears off the ground, unlikely, it will want to move sideways. Same as lifting from the middle area of the bull bar.
I firmly believe a Hilift should only lift a corner at a time, as TD said use a lift mate and lift the wheel then chock it to do what you need.

Well said Macca,

You can easily get both wheels off the ground by lifting through the Towbar receiver, but it is a dangerous practice, as the vehicle can slew sideways it someone leans on it, or the wind catches it. Would be OK if all wheels are on, and no-one is nearby, but quite dangerous if you have a wheel removed.

Mic

PS : Exhaust jack is much safer

outback
9th November 2013, 01:35 AM
I have a factory steel nissan bar on my gu which does not have the capability of being lifted by my jack. Has anyone thought of and/or gone ahead with cutting some sort of slot like those arb bars that ARE compatible?
Not a smart move rearranging the Nissan bar. It is airbag compliant and you cutting it could place it out of compliance. Insurance nightmare.
Try looking for a bolt on to the mount points of the bar as an at best. failing that sell the Nissan one on fleaby and buy an ARB one.

macca
9th November 2013, 07:26 AM
Good advice if you have an air bag fitted vehicle.
Mine doesn't have airbags so have been thinking how to lift from the ends of the bull bar with the high lift.
It would take some modding of the bar for the load it would have on it.
TJM do something like it, a mates 100 series has the "T" cut-outs on the ends of the bar for a Hilift.
The bar on this GU has them a bit wider, heading in the right direction.

threedogs
9th November 2013, 08:03 AM
Remember the hi-lift is not called a widow maker for nothing, always leave with the handle in the UP position.
Basically on older 4x4 you would jack up your 4x4 then push it off the jack onto higher ground hopefully.
They can also be used as a winch ,be it slow. carry spare shear pins . Inspect and spray after use ready for next time.
Being coil sprung you'll find you'll be jacking till the cows come home to get a front wheel off the ground,
but as stated there are gadgets for that

Edit, with all the newer 4x4 being plastic the towbar is the only safe place to lift