PDA

View Full Version : show us ya hunting set up.......

Timmo
7th August 2012, 10:46 PM
i will start this off

I use an old compound bow

Bow

BOW TECH OLD GLORY
62 Pound
release aid
sights

Arrows are

Carbon shafts
black stump broad heads

megatexture
7th August 2012, 10:48 PM
sweet an excuse to get the bow out haha will post pics asap haha

megatexture
8th August 2012, 10:08 AM
Bow: martin archerym14- speed flight
70 pound
65% holding weight

Arrows:
beman .500 fibreglass in trebark camo pattern.

Broad head: brand unknown.

Timmo
8th August 2012, 03:28 PM
nice Bow, love Matrins, I had a martin Couger once loved it great little bow, great to see another archer as well not many around these days.

Timmo
8th August 2012, 03:29 PM
hey guys, I know there are plenty of other guys out there that have a set up not just for archers open to all kinds of hunters..........

Bloodyaussie
8th August 2012, 04:20 PM
I would have to line all my guns up and look like a right gun nut!!!!!
Favourite is my 204 Ruger.

Cant find a good photo......
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x260/jpgpz/080720111216.jpg

Timmo
8th August 2012, 04:26 PM
nice aussie what ya hunt/shoot

megatexture
8th August 2012, 06:44 PM
myself i will shoot anything that i can get range of haha when i lived in cairns id shoot cane toads off the back balcony

threedogs
8th August 2012, 06:52 PM
Do the arrows need to have that spring grabber end on them?Do you lose many.? Love hunting but only used Dolphin torch and F.dick stabbing knife pig hunting with Bro in law, oh and half a doz ugly dogs
Anything that gets rid of ferrals or feeds you has to be good.
Do you need licence in Vic???

Bloodyaussie
8th August 2012, 06:59 PM
Found some better pics, on this property it is ferals only..
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x260/jpgpz/040620111143.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x260/jpgpz/040620111142.jpg

Silver
8th August 2012, 07:26 PM
Pay to play place called Windibindle, near St George, Qld.

Caloundra Wide

Ate one, not the other, tooooooo stinkyyyyyy

Mate just sent me a newsletter from an African Safari crowd, Cape Buffalo bow hunts........ would certainly hone one's stalking skills, and perhaps tree climbing skills :-)

growler2058
8th August 2012, 07:31 PM
Had a 1906 karl gaustaff swedish mauser action many moons ago in 6.5x55 was a helluva weapon

Silver
8th August 2012, 07:33 PM
yep, they do the job if the shooter does their part

threedogs
8th August 2012, 07:39 PM
I'd be a shooter too but keep slipping on my SH#T, couldn't get any good footing to take a shot.
Admire the Deer hunter with all the scent etc, they are a funny breed

Timmo
8th August 2012, 07:43 PM
that is a nice lookin rifle man.....................

threedogs
8th August 2012, 07:46 PM
Timmo whats available to shoot over your way, I take it you head south?

oncedisturbed
8th August 2012, 09:35 PM
nice looking boomsticks, will post mine when I get a chance, 1 of the I have no idea what brand of 12g it is as it's over a 100 years old, that another were handed down through the family.

tossing up the idea of looking at a 223 later on

Timmo
8th August 2012, 09:53 PM
Timmo whats available to shoot over your way, I take it you head south?

hey threedogs,

mate havent even let an arrow loose over this way its pretty hard to get onto property owners here as they hate hunting whether its with rifle or bow but up north around carnarven theres goats and down south pigs and deer i think im still trying to get onto property owners but with no luck and time is short im moving back to darwin and will get back to the pigs but they get boring every weekend.........................

Silver
9th August 2012, 02:42 AM
I'd be a shooter too but keep slipping on my SH#T, couldn't get any good footing to take a shot.
Admire the Deer hunter with all the scent etc, they are a funny breed

Translation of first sentence please threedogs (not the bit in caps) :-).

I'd dog pigs too, and between friends I reckon I could put together a team - Red Cattle, Great Dane, Staffie and a Bandog. Except I know for sure that they would not put their dogs put in harms way, and I am far too:
- unfit,
-slow and creaky in the joints, and
-I'd need to start on the little ones to build my confidence :-)

The people that own the Bandog used to have a bull arab/mastif/can't remember cross. It could catch crows in their back yard, which contained a garden shed, the kennel, and what was left of the lawn. Ama2ing!

I dunno much about deer hunters using scent as an attractant, but I have seen some footage of a bloke being worked over by a buck that was funny from this side of the screen. He definitely looked unhappy!! I dunno whether the hunter had scented up with buck smell, or with doe smell - if the latter I can understand the buck's disappointment :-)

oncedisturbed
9th August 2012, 08:13 AM
Timmo, have to agree 100% . Near on impossible over here in WA for shoot / hunt in any form

Maxhead
9th August 2012, 02:38 PM
Here's mine
green arrow 10kg graphite stick one piece.

With an Abu Revo Stx casting reel
With 10kg braid

Usually a hard body or soft plastic attached to the end of the line.

....oh hold on, that's fishing ...haha

..........on the move

threedogs
9th August 2012, 03:05 PM
Hunting fish, I get it, being as one with the water, Spent most of my life fishing the rest I just waste

macca86
9th August 2012, 06:10 PM
nice looking boomsticks, will post mine when I get a chance, 1 of the I have no idea what brand of 12g it is as it's over a 100 years old, that another were handed down through the family.

I'd not bother with a .223 you'd be better to get a 22/250 if that's the size you're after shoots harder flatter and slightly larger projectile and more forgiving for a clean kill compared to a .223.

I have a Remington sps stainless 22/250 with a redfield 3-9 40mm scope currently hand loading barns 55 gr projectiles at about 3200 fps according to the powder chart and load size
http://www.qldgunexchange.com/QGEWeb/product.seam?productId=89276

macca86
9th August 2012, 06:14 PM
Currently eying a remington 700 XCR II 338 Win Mag as I like power and big bangs and want to try deer pig and scrub bulls and camels
http://www.qldgunexchange.com/QGEFiles/ProductImages/89339/700XCRII_84523-prod.jpg

Bloodyaussie
10th August 2012, 09:09 AM
I'd not bother with a .223 you'd be better to get a 22/250 if that's the size you're after shoots harder flatter and slightly larger projectile and more forgiving for a clean kill compared to a .223.

I have a Remington sps stainless 22/250 with a redfield 3-9 40mm scope currently hand loading barns 55 gr projectiles at about 3200 fps according to the powder chart and load size
http://www.qldgunexchange.com/QGEWeb/product.seam?productId=89276
Here here, I would go the 22-250 over a 223 any day, the only thing a 223 has is the price of ammo but for a fast flat shooting round that will do many jobs the 250 wins hands down.

oncedisturbed
10th August 2012, 03:06 PM
Will bare that in mind when the time comes, it won't be for some time yet. Will depend on how often i can get out

boots
11th August 2012, 08:15 PM
My weapon family . 1-Black beauty Rem m700 VSSF 22-250 . 2-The green machine Tikka T3 lite stainless 300WSM , 3-Auscam -Rem model 7 in 308 win . Had a couple of lever actions when I was a lad and the urge to increase my stock is under serious consideration atm .

growler2058
12th August 2012, 08:16 PM
Well with a bit of luck and a creative accountant I should be back in the game soon with this (thanks for your input Tim) it's a Bear Legion 50-70lb draw weight. 318 fps nearly 100m/s can't wait to get out in the bush to a local park that has 90 different targets from bunny to buffalo size

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

threedogs
12th August 2012, 09:11 PM
Serious piece of kit that, what would you bring down with that setup???

growler2058
12th August 2012, 09:42 PM
Wooly mammoths ;-)

growler2058
12th August 2012, 09:44 PM
Anything from rabbits to pigs or scrub bulls even if ya game enough to get 10 meters from a pissed off bull. Specially if ya hit him in the arse hahahhaa

Timmo
12th August 2012, 10:51 PM
all good man all good

Well with a bit of luck and a creative accountant I should be back in the game soon with this (thanks for your input Tim) it's a Bear Legion 50-70lb draw weight. 318 fps nearly 100m/s can't wait to get out in the bush to a local park that has 90 different targets from bunny to buffalo size

Irish
11th September 2012, 11:47 AM
Here's my setup:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/Irishpete/4x4/001.jpg

From the bottom up: 22lr, 223, 303.

22 - Bunnies and hares Nikko 4-12 scope

223 - Hares, foxes hopefully some goats this year - Now wearing a Nikko nighteater

303 - Helped defeat ze Germans during WW2 and will hopefully add some venison to my freezer this year. Got rid of that gash looking Bushnell and it now has a very gentlemanly Redfield 2-7x33.

Have a 98 Mauser rifle project on the go at the moment, new barrel arrived a few days ago, have a nice Boyds thumbhole stock and a set of Leupold mounts. Should be schweet once it's done.

Sir Roofy
11th September 2012, 03:05 PM
Is that a modifide 303 and the ammo for them was designed to go thruogh the body not much good for
samba even in the early days of deer hunting they lost a lot by the projectile passing through

Sir Roofy
11th September 2012, 03:17 PM
well with a bit of luck and a creative accountant i should be back in the game soon with this (thanks for your input tim) it's a bear legion 50-70lb draw weight. 318 fps nearly 100m/s can't wait to get out in the bush to a local park that has 90 different targets from bunny to buffalo size

tap, tap.......who's there?

looks like something out of mad max ,besides you,d get tangled up in the scrub
with that if you have to move quickly,but then again guess you could ride out
like a scooter because it got cart wheels on it lmfao

growler2058
11th September 2012, 07:32 PM
looks like something out of mad max ,besides you,d get tangled up in the scrub
with that if you have to move quickly,but then again guess you could ride out
like a scooter because it got cart wheels on it lmfao

Ahhh Roofy you obviously haven't seen Rambo 2 or was it 3 or 4 Hahahaha look out here comes stealthy Growlr

Tap tap drip drip

Bloodyaussie
11th September 2012, 07:44 PM
Is that a modifide 303 and the ammo for them was designed to go thruogh the body not much good for
samba even in the early days of deer hunting they lost a lot by the projectile passing through
Yeah if you shoot the military stuff, Pete hand loads with a projectile suited for deer hunting.

I love that rifle and it better be left to me in his will... that and the Springfield .22!!!

Sir Roofy
11th September 2012, 07:47 PM
Ahhh Roofy you obviously haven't seen Rambo 2 or was it 3 or 4 Hahahaha look out here comes stealthy Growlr

Tap tap drip drip

your right mate havnt seen any of rambo,s stuff but that bow looks interesting

Winnie
11th September 2012, 07:51 PM

Tap tap drip drip

Crouching Growler... hidden compound bow lmao

growler2058
11th September 2012, 08:27 PM
your right mate havnt seen any of rambo,s stuff but that bow looks interesting

Around 100m per second or 318ft per second talking old school with arrow + sharp bit weighing anywhere between 300gn and 500

Tap tap drip drip

Sir Roofy
11th September 2012, 08:39 PM
around 100m per second or 318ft per second talking old school with arrow + sharp bit weighing anywhere between 300gn and 500

tap tap drip drip

looks impressive but combuson you would have to be in a clear patch so you didnt get fowled up in the bushes

growler2058
11th September 2012, 08:41 PM
Definitely mate need to sharpen the ol stalking skills!!!

Tap tap drip drip

Irish
11th September 2012, 11:13 PM

Yeah mate, it's a sporterised 303.

You're half right, the military rounds for them were designed to go through people and do a lot of damage on the way through(FMJ), but you'd have to be a bit silly to use mil surp rounds for hunting game.

There is an abundance of civilian hunting ammo available for them off the shelf from all the major manufacturers with hunting projectiles that mushroom up nicely and hang onto a lot of weight. Remington corelokts and winchester SuperX spring to mind straight away.
I make up handloads for mine using Hornady projectiles.

Silver
11th September 2012, 11:18 PM
Yeah mate, it's a sporterised 303.

You're half right, the military rounds for them were designed to go through people and do a lot of damage on the way through(FMJ), but you'd have to be a bit silly to use mil surp rounds for hunting game.

There is an abundance of civilian hunting ammo available for them off the shelf from all the major manufacturers with hunting projectiles that mushroom up nicely and hang onto a lot of weight. Remington corelokts and winchester SuperX spring to mind straight away.
I make up handloads for mine using Hornady projectiles.

Hi Irish,

I've just gone over to Hornady SSTs in my 6.5x55. I have yet to check velocity but expect it to be around 2500 fps. planned game is pig. I can confirm they kill paper targets stone dead :-) What did you go for in your .303 loads?

Sir Roofy
12th September 2012, 07:25 AM
definitely mate need to sharpen the ol stalking skills!!!

Tap tap drip drip

your not alone there,was out a little while ago and had my hearing aids in perfect for hunting
but alas the noise i was making was un bearable lmao and i thought i was being quite was like walking
on corn flakes

Irish
12th September 2012, 08:39 AM
Hi Irish,

I've just gone over to Hornady SSTs in my 6.5x55. I have yet to check velocity but expect it to be around 2500 fps. planned game is pig. I can confirm they kill paper targets stone dead :-) What did you go for in your .303 loads?

I've kept the powder charge on the low side(60yr old rifle), having some success with between 39 & 40gn of AR2208, using the 150gn Interlock soft point spitzers. Playing around with seating depth now.
I wouldn't mind trying out a few more projectile types in it, as the only others I've used for the 303 are Sierra matchkings, which are not something I want to be hunting with.
Gets to be a bit of an expensive exercise if you but a box of projectiles and they dont like your gun though, so i'm a bit hesitant.

I use the Nosler balistic tip boattails in 55gn in the 223 and they group really well, so I've just got to sit down and bust out a bunch to have on hand.

growler2058
24th September 2012, 12:28 PM
I'm excited I've got my bow
It's a Bear Mauler set at 70lb no broad heads yet but look out if yer a white dot
Sighting it in 1st grouping
Slight sight adjustment
And another adjustment
Look out white dots here I come hahahhhaahahaha
I haven't shot a bow for 10 years its a bit windy today and I was watching the sights waver all over the place but I'm happy with that so far. Got heaps of practicing to do before I go chasing bunnies and foxes on my mates property, then hopefully pigs one day

Double Tap

megatexture
24th September 2012, 03:15 PM
nice one mate what distance is that ? makes me want to upgrade my bow that one looks sweet mines like 15 yr old now maybe a new toy will get me back into it mmm..

growler2058
24th September 2012, 04:00 PM
The groupings are 10m and the scattered white dots are at 20m gotta get to a range hopefully this Saturday and set the other 3 pins out to 50m

Double Tap

growler2058
24th September 2012, 04:03 PM
Also I bought mine from an eBay store in the US was $300 cheaper than in oz and came with arrows and a release aid
Got the arrows cut down (6) to suit my draw length today and field points and bought an arm guard for $25

Double Tap

megatexture
24th September 2012, 04:51 PM
arm guard??? did you get the matching fingernail protectors also ? lol so you had no issues gettin the bow past customs? cheers, gotta love ebay ill have to check it out.

growler2058
24th September 2012, 05:54 PM
Hahahhaahaha yep and the fingernail protector. Hit my arm once with the string years ago very much hurt. But mostly to hold sleeves back from getting the string fouled
In SA there aren't restrictions on Bows or Crossbows I could of just a easily imported a 180lb compound crossbow.
When I get home ill send you a link for the joint I went through

Double Tap

megatexture
24th September 2012, 05:59 PM
sweet thanks mate always wanted a xbow too lol

growler2058
24th September 2012, 06:00 PM
May have just PM you a link dunno if it worked via iPhone tho so if not ill try again later

Double Tap

threedogs
26th September 2012, 01:55 PM
Heres a pic of some pigs my BIL got , the big white one was shot behind the ear xmas time around Maude nsw, the ginger/white dog {chico} is father of my dog {Cruiser}.
Other pig was one of 15 we caught near Invanhoe/Wilcannia way one morning. The other dog was called Herman

Winnie
26th September 2012, 01:57 PM
Didn't know Batman was into pig hunting in your first photo there.

threedogs
26th September 2012, 02:00 PM
To protect the innocent, This pic is of when my boys were in their prime. Miss Jack though.
heres Croozer now and his mate Tyson

Snafu
14th December 2012, 11:18 PM
Will bare that in mind when the time comes, it won't be for some time yet. Will depend on how often i can get out

Originally Posted by oncedisturbed

http://www.qldgunexchange.com/QGEWeb...roductId=89276

Once disturbed
Don't under estimate the 223. Yes the 22-250 has bit more punch so does the 220 Swift, but like everything there are trade off's. What do you plan to hunt and at what range's and be honest to yourself. I put it to you this way they use 223's in F Class shooting up against 308's and that can be out to 1000y, BUT they arn't your standard of the shelf rifle but just shows you what can be done. Yes I have a very modified 22-250 with a NF 5.5-22x56 scope and love it but it's also on it's 3rd barrel due to throat errosion ( this is not due to lack of cleaning ). Another round to consider and again depending on what vermin and range is the good ol 222 and its still popular. There are others eg 22PPC, 22 Waldog these are used in BR class and at the other end is the 22 Chetah barrel burner.
But first thing to think of is what vermin and what realistic range you think you'll go out to and work from there.

Timmo
3rd January 2013, 11:10 PM
I'm excited I've got my bow
It's a Bear Mauler set at 70lb no broad heads yet but look out if yer a white dot
Sighting it in 1st grouping
Slight sight adjustment
And another adjustment
Look out white dots here I come hahahhhaahahaha
I haven't shot a bow for 10 years its a bit windy today and I was watching the sights waver all over the place but I'm happy with that so far. Got heaps of practicing to do before I go chasing bunnies and foxes on my mates property, then hopefully pigs one day

Double Tap

hows the shotting going??

growler2058
4th January 2013, 07:37 AM
Still having fun with it and havent got out on any bunnies yet. And you now youre back up in pig country???

FNQGU
25th January 2020, 07:19 AM
Old, old thread, but I just picked up a new to me .22lr and shot some targets over the dam out the back yesterday. Think it shoots quite well given the two bourbon cans with lean over a foot stool on the patio table...

The locations of the groups were interesting as I was switching around through different ammo to see if there was something it really liked.

Rifle is an Anshutz 1712 with a cheap Leupold 3-9 scope on it for the time being.

.22 is just such a fun calibre to muck around with.

MB
16th August 2020, 10:10 PM
Youngest Littlen has recently divulged her unbeknownst true joy over shooting bow targets at an interschool camp earlier this year. A local Archery club throughout lockdown here has kindly got the Genesis ball rolling for home practice remotely delivered before joining officially down the road one day hopefully soon [emoji106][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/106.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/107.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
26th August 2020, 07:45 PM
A very quiet Vic lockdown birthday dinner last night for our Littlen although spirits thankfully lifted when gifted her new spoilt Bow among other mailed granny gifts from QLD :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/160.jpg
Tomorrow’s after home school project before we peg them to a round bale backstop!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/161.jpg
We might even be able to score some coin back too :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/08/162.jpg

MB
7th September 2020, 04:32 AM
Got my absolute arse kicked on yesterdays fathers day challenge :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/31.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/09/32.jpg
I was happy to even hit the round bale let alone the target, cheeky little sod :-)

FNQGU
7th September 2020, 08:51 AM
Nice one mate. Great to see the younger generation getting into it.

PeeBee
7th September 2020, 10:11 AM
Sharp shooter!! Get her out in the paddock to guard the GU from steering wheel chewing beasts!

MB
16th December 2020, 10:49 PM
Was hoping to show y’all my first ever lever fever Winchester purchase (In truth Browning designed told) model 94 30-30. Post lockdown heavier feral cleanup desperately needed out at the scrub block as an all rounder. Unfortunately she’s straight back this afternoon to the shop for Mr Smith to sort out that apparently “always” faithful 1895 cowboy action [emoji23]
Here’s what a shiny one looks like, short & light enough to hopefully get the job done humanely with more than enough punch within the scrub hopefully eventually [emoji1696]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/88.jpg

PeeBee
17th December 2020, 12:24 PM
Love the look of that rifle.

growler2058
17th December 2020, 09:57 PM
This is my dirty-30
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82655&stc=1

PeeBee
18th December 2020, 02:06 PM
My Marlin 45-70 with muzzle brake and mercury tube recoil in buttstock, noisy beast or a mule, luv it.82656

growler2058
18th December 2020, 05:16 PM
I want a 45-70, but need a second safe first :biggrin:

Avo
18th December 2020, 11:05 PM
No more to say,free pig dog,useless http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/99.jpg

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

MB
18th December 2020, 11:40 PM
That’s gotta be America surely Avo Mate ?

MB
18th December 2020, 11:46 PM
Space Cowboy Time [emoji1783]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/100.jpg
Purists Seething [emoji22]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/101.jpg

PeeBee
19th December 2020, 06:53 AM
So how does that sighting system work @MB? It can only be aligned at one distance due to the offset or is the scope a wide MOA 1:1 magnification only? Is your rifle a top eject?

MB
19th December 2020, 08:17 AM
Red dot [emoji837] minute of angle (MOA) I believe Philstar and yes top eject. Not sure if I’ll keep it on yet, previous owner installed mate.

PeeBee
19th December 2020, 08:40 AM
Let me know if you don't as it might go well on mine - side eject, just need a different mount. Maybe it would be better with a higher mount in line with the barrel? Kind of looks odd unless you are a hammerhead shark!

Avo
19th December 2020, 11:13 AM
Model 1 Lithgow 22,single shot very nice little gun and accuratehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/103.jpg

Avo
19th December 2020, 07:24 PM
Mad Mike n his hunting dog,look at the drool

Np all around but have more cats than foxes,hate cats this doghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/109.jpg

growler2058
19th December 2020, 08:01 PM
Old hunter from the 40’s [emoji6]http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/111.jpg

growler2058
19th December 2020, 08:01 PM
Faaaaaast hunter 22-250http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/112.jpg

growler2058
19th December 2020, 08:03 PM
For hhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/113.jpg
unting pigeons made of clay

MB
20th December 2020, 09:30 AM
For h
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/115.jpg
unting wabbits made from Akubra’s :-)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/116.jpg
Cheap little Boito 20” weed sprayer, only good for a close range fluffle colony though!

MB
20th December 2020, 09:36 AM
Czech Armory CZ .22 Magnum (WMR)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/117.jpg
Much tidier if you want to cacciatore stew up some wabbits without damaging the meat.

PeeBee
20th December 2020, 09:58 AM
Czech Armory CZ .22 Magnum (WMR)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/117.jpg
Much tidier if you want to cacciatore stew up some wabbits without damaging the meat.

Beautiful timber on that rifle.

Bidja
20th December 2020, 12:48 PM
Faaaaaast hunter 22-250http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/112.jpg

Nice, had a Ruger .243 22-250 heavy barrel with Nikko 3-9x40 variable on top / loading press_dies and a few others arms. All got stolen 1983 when first moved to NSW from Vic (miss it but never bothered buying more).

Life was such that could pass different loads over velocity sky screens. Excellent external ballistics.

growler2058
20th December 2020, 01:04 PM
Nice, had a Ruger .243 22-250 heavy barrel with Nikko 3-9x40 variable on top / loading press_dies and a few others arms. All got stolen 1983 when first moved to NSW from Vic (miss it but never bothered buying more).

Life was such that could pass different loads over velocity sky screens. Excellent external ballistics.

I’m thinking of putting a muzzle brake on it so I don’t lose site focus after each shot. Love the thing though. The hornady ammo moves along at 3900fps

MB
20th December 2020, 04:37 PM
Growler Mate, where’d you score that stock leatherwork from, looks great and practical too. Wasn’t Old Mate from Southern Cross WA on here in the day by any chance?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/125.jpg

MB
20th December 2020, 08:49 PM
Any and all advice truly appreciated if keen on passing down knowledge please Gentlemen [emoji120]
Contemplating tonight saving/investing next year into reloading after finally sitting back to absorb cartridge prices on the new but old 30-30.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/126.jpg
First ever personally owned centerfire rifle up on the block and to be honest a little shocked at their near 12g rarer speciality needs 1oz slug similar prices.
I do understand an investment would need to factor in yearly volumes required but honestly wouldn’t even know where to start in regards quality equipment/supplies and or a threshold to just say pay a store $2 each?

Plasnart
20th December 2020, 09:27 PM
MB sorry mate can't help you but you just brought back fond memories of growing up in the bush. High school had a gun club. Kids coming to school with backpacks and sheathed shotties raised nobody's eyebrows. Was just normal. Teacher running the gun club would be busy packing cartridges daily in a small room, door open, off the main corridor. Ka-chunk, ka-chunk, packin' ammo. Lunch time was accompanied by shots ringing out for the hour every day, just across the road from the footy oval. Boom, boom, boom. Imagine that happening in an urban school today? Fark there'd be cops called, heat-seeking chopper overhead, school locked down, councillors called in to help the traumatised staff and children. What the fk happened to our society.....

Bidja
20th December 2020, 11:39 PM
MB Mark suggest you call O'Reilly's Firearms High Street, Thornbury (03) 9480 3366_. O'Reilly's been in the game a long time, use to go there and would be a good start. Note they have an online store (joined up with others).

https://hallsfirearms.com.au/product-category/reloading/

Good for a browse as a start. There would be second hand presses around but would buy new dies/tools.

MB
21st December 2020, 06:00 AM
Thank you John, appreciated mate!

growler2058
21st December 2020, 03:51 PM
Growler Mate, where’d you score that stock leatherwork from, looks great and practical too. Wasn’t Old Mate from Southern Cross WA on here in the day by any chance?

Got it up in Hahndorf mate, at Leather smith there. It was for 12ga but he gave me some new rivets so I could resize it to the 30-30

PeeBee
21st December 2020, 04:24 PM
Any and all advice truly appreciated if keen on passing down knowledge please Gentlemen [emoji120]
Contemplating tonight saving/investing next year into reloading after finally sitting back to absorb cartridge prices on the new but old 30-30.
First ever personally owned centerfire rifle up on the block and to be honest a little shocked at their near 12g rarer speciality needs 1oz slug similar prices.
I do understand an investment would need to factor in yearly volumes required but honestly wouldn’t even know where to start in regards quality equipment/supplies and or a threshold to just say pay a store $2 each?

I was told that one of the major ammo companies in the US has gone under - might be Remington, so there is a shortage of ammo everywhere. When I went to get a box of the 410g 45-70's the price had jumped from $88 to $149, and they only had 3 boxes on the shelf, and no more on the way, so i bought the lot. I have a simple lee loader and will be loading my own as well. I used to do handloads when i had my 7mmRem Mag because that thing was dear to shoot.

Mickhead
21st December 2020, 04:56 PM

Mark mate you are going to spend a bit of cash on equipment. I use a lee turret loader to do mine, prob spent around a grand on stuff. Dies, ultrasonic cleaner, primer seating tool, powder thrower etc, but I can reload a 4570 plinking round with black widow 350 gn hard cast and
Trail Boss for less than 50c a round. And 44 mag and 308. Probably take a long time to pay off, but everyone needs a hobby 😀

Mickhead
21st December 2020, 05:04 PM
Got a fair bit of gear from westernfirearms on the internet, like this one...8267282673

MB
21st December 2020, 05:04 PM
Thank you Gentlemen, appreciated Mates!

growler2058
21st December 2020, 07:08 PM
I’ve got a MEC set for reloading 12ga. Paid $200 or $250 with 800 primers, 800 wads 40kg of various size lead shot and a phucktonne of once fired shells, oh and he threw in a simplex press as well. I haven’t used the simplex need dies for probably 22-250, 30-30 and 308
Good fun loading for the shotty though

MB
21st December 2020, 07:41 PM
I’m sold now thanks Growler Mate, not as expensive as I first guesstimated with Mickhead’s advice for under a grand startup too.
Just subscribed to this channel found for some great ‘tips’ out there in Youtubey land too!

https://youtu.be/NEiJmmqwq-s

jack
21st December 2020, 07:44 PM
I was told that one of the major ammo companies in the US has gone under - might be Remington, so there is a shortage of ammo everywhere. When I went to get a box of the 410g 45-70's the price had jumped from $88 to $149, and they only had 3 boxes on the shelf, and no more on the way, so i bought the lot. I have a simple lee loader and will be loading my own as well. I used to do handloads when i had my 7mmRem Mag because that thing was dear to shoot.

Yeap Phil, it’s Remington that went under. I was talking to a guy for Winchester on Friday and he told me. Everything is in short supply and gone up because of the situation in the USA, 22 magnum rounds are now $30. Worldwide shortage of projectiles.

Winnie
21st December 2020, 07:49 PM
Have a chat to our local industrial sparky mate too MB, he is very educated in reloading.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

MB
21st December 2020, 08:03 PM
Thanks Winnie, a good idea but I can’t even get that Sod to bring my missing chainsaw back [emoji23]

Mickhead
22nd December 2020, 05:21 PM
I’ve got a MEC set for reloading 12ga. Paid $200 or $250 with 800 primers, 800 wads 40kg of various size lead shot and a phucktonne of once fired shells, oh and he threw in a simplex press as well. I haven’t used the simplex need dies for probably 22-250, 30-30 and 308
Good fun loading for the shotty though

Mate thats keen given shotty shells are cheap, does it work out better than buying them by the slab?

mudnut
22nd December 2020, 05:41 PM
I’m sold now thanks Growler Mate, not as expensive as I first guesstimated with Mickhead’s advice for under a grand startup too.
Just subscribed to this channel found for some great ‘tips’ out there in Youtubey land too!

https://youtu.be/NEiJmmqwq-s

Sorry, Mark. All I heard was white noise. Will have to play that a few times to take in what she was saying.

growler2058
23rd December 2020, 07:00 PM
Mate thats keen given shotty shells are cheap, does it work out better than buying them by the slab?
Does when I got 40kgs of shot and primers. Definitely cheaper to load OOSG

MB
26th December 2020, 07:14 AM
Young sniffer just found another winter’s wallow, earnt his brekkie today [emoji23][emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/12/150.jpg
Quite lucky really the grass hasn’t grown back around it, that’s an exact path I usually slash through with the tall tractor [emoji609][emoji51]

MB
31st January 2021, 09:07 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/01/226.jpg

MB
29th January 2023, 04:11 PM
Honestly getting a lot of enjoyment out of out smarting-trapping critters these days, a very holistic hobby [emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2023/01/38.jpg

My personal best (PB) to date is 5 x untrained unruly assorted Brumby’s in an old round yard via Teff awaiting a big twuck [emoji23]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2023/01/39.jpg

Pete49
30th January 2023, 12:55 PM
done good MB any feral, especially cats, taken out of the wild is a plus for wildlife