PDA

View Full Version : Finally replaced split-rims - what a nightmare!!

monty
5th August 2012, 03:45 PM
Hi all,
I finally took the plunge and replaced the 750R16 split-rims on the GQ. How easy does that sound?
After lots of enquiries went to BobJane and enquired about new wheels and tyres (BFG AT). They sounded knowlegable, and indeed contacted the wheel makers to check suitable sizes etc as I stipulated that I didn't want to put mudguard flares on. So day of fitting (Saturday 4th) collected car and was told that the size was ok i.e. legal. I was doubtful so drove straight to police station and was told they were marginal. On a good day OK, but if copper was nasty I would be booked. So the size fitted is this; CSA Ranger wheels 16x7 and BFG 265/70R16. The tread sticks out about 1-2cm. So I went to 4wd supplier and bought Bushranger flexy flares. Has anyone tried fitting these? What a &%$#. I got one rear on. Took best part of 5 hours to thread wire into about 2/3 of distance and then I gave up. I did all the right things like squirting wd40 until it ran out other end etc. Trying to push by gripping with pliers wore a hole in my palm. So having spent nearly 2500 on wheels and tyres (not legal), another 180 on flares that I can't get on, I'm really pissed off.

Another question; the tyres look about 1.5 to 2 inches smaller diameter. So does than now mean that my speedo is also now out of whack? By how much and in what direction?

look forward to answers and comments. Boy did I teach my dog some new words!!
cheers

Silver
5th August 2012, 06:26 PM
How frustrating!

In theory, the diamater of your new tyre is 2x(265mm 0.7) +16" converted to metric. In practice, who knows. And who knows what dia your 750 R 16s were without more info.

Best suggestion I can give is to go to the tyre manufacturers site and look for the diameter, most will list it.

If the tyre is smaller diameter and thus circumference, it is travelling less distance for each rev, so your speedo will be saying you are going faster than you are, likewise odo will say you have travelled more ks.

I have a roll of Bunnings Garden Edging to replace the damaged glass flares on Silver, my trusty Mav.

Once again, I feel your frustration. Grrrr!

growler2058
5th August 2012, 06:52 PM
HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA sorry to laugh mate but i feel ya pain with the flares, bastard of an idea. I ripped my wire out and riveted hoop iron on the underside to keep the shape. Even after i got the wire in it would work its way out and would carch me whenever i walked past. Let me tell ya its just as much of a pr!ck to get out after. Ill go take a coupla pics of my hoop iron fix

growler2058
5th August 2012, 06:56 PM
Here ya go mate I did have the rivets painted black time to go over them again

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

nissannewby
5th August 2012, 07:13 PM
Going by your tyre placard for a GQ that tyre and rim combo is legal. Have you checked out what your placard says?

threedogs
5th August 2012, 07:24 PM
Hey Newby must have been the skinny wheel pack with the 6" rims ,Tyres would've been inside guards with the right tyre/rim combo. BJ got it wrong
The wide wheel pack option came with flares I think

nissannewby
5th August 2012, 08:19 PM
It would be interesting to see if the tyre placard reflects this. I also think that if it came with the 750R16 option you could run slightly larger tyres than the ones with the 265/70R15 placard.

threedogs
5th August 2012, 08:35 PM
Would be similar to a DX set up, If you wanted to run 285s ,you'd have to fit flares.
Nice job with the hoop iron Growler???

growler2058
5th August 2012, 08:37 PM
Would be similar to a DX set up, If you wanted to run 285s ,you'd have to fit flares.
Nice job with the hoop iron Growler???

Does the job better than the stupid high tensile wire thats provided. Absolute @#$% of an idea that!

MC97GQ
6th August 2012, 08:27 AM
Monty,

Get onto a tyre place like Beaurepairs, Goodyear etc. They should be able to inform you of the diameter of your new and old tyres. When i changed the rim size 14" to 15" on my wifes old Holden Apollo/Toyota Camry, they told me the correct tyre profile as to not throw out the speedo.

I would have mentioned Bob Jane but it sounds like they gave you a bit of a bum steer to start with.

Good luck fitting the flares

Mark

97_gq_lwb
6th August 2012, 08:52 AM
Their is an online calculator somewhere http://www.csgnetwork.com/tiresizescalc.html
Or use google their are a few about.
I have two rx patrols one has the original skinny 6 x16 inch non split rims and no flares the other had flares and ti style mags .

monty
6th August 2012, 07:44 PM
Hi everyone,
thanks for replies and sympathy. I'll look into checking speedo errors potential etc. By the way, I contacted a 4wd repair place today & they quoted $50 per arch to fit remaing three. I wonder if they would be ok without the wire support? They almost look like they would be self-supporting anyway. They only need to hold their shape for an inch or so. Anyone fitted them without adding wire/steel or whatever? And for the benefit of any South Oz people, the law is that the tread has to be inside the guard, but OK if sidewall sticks out. Go figure. Anyway my tread is out be a bee's d!ck.
cheers

growler2058
6th August 2012, 07:46 PM
They look sh1t without the wire.
If you have or can get hold of a gps you can check you speedo.

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

nissannewby
6th August 2012, 11:00 PM
I have mine fitted without wire and they hold their shape fine you will need 2 people to get it work but stretching it a little while putting the screws in helps.

growler2058
6th August 2012, 11:30 PM
When i ripped the wire outa mine in disgust the rears looked sh@t and they drooped enough that the tyre now was exposed

GQ TANK
7th August 2012, 12:11 AM
I run 750r16 Split rims and 265/75/16 hercules AT both are the same size (height) = 32"

The hercules are wider.

Lawrence
16th August 2012, 08:03 AM
I have those flares on mine. Yes they were let say "problematic" to get on. i am wishing now though that i had gotten the wider ones as with 265 75 16s, they are just covered marginally.

Robo
30th September 2012, 12:33 AM
Gee the 7" negative off-set of rims must be wide to make tyres stick out.
I've got 8' rims, neg 13 mm offset and there inside the flared guards.

threedogs
30th September 2012, 12:39 AM
One of my mates turned his split rims into 8" wide jobs to run some better rubber in hindsight and I have that in bucket loads
What was his point 8" wide sunnys would do the same, tyre repairs are easy too, wouldn't think many run tubes these days

BigRAWesty
30th September 2012, 09:43 AM
Just a small side note on the flairs? Wouldn't you fit the wire before fitting the flair? So it's flat?

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...

Clunk
30th September 2012, 10:31 AM
Just a small side note on the flairs? Wouldn't you fit the wire before fitting the flair? So it's flat?

Correct

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Robo
9th October 2012, 04:55 AM

X3 fitting wire before hand.
Try this calculator for the old and new tyres, should give you the difference.
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_size_calculators.html
cheers