PDA

View Full Version : Diff oil leak oil seal problems

Andrelr
21st October 2010, 03:35 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently bought my Nissan gq 92 2.8 td. It had a diff oil leak on the right side witch was repaired with the oil seal on the right and it worked out ok. the old one was similar.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/20.jpg
For precaution I told the mechanic to put new oil seal on the left side also, but that's when the problems started, its now being opened for the 4th time because it is always coming out oil 1 or 2 days after reassemble.
the old oil seal was the one on the left (in the pic) and the new is on the right, why is there a difference?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/20.jpg
I bought original one from nissan, also one of the times trying to repair it, the oil seal was found loose, any ideas?

Thanks for the help in advance:smiley_thumbs_up:

YNOT
21st October 2010, 08:53 AM
The different seals will be from different manufactures, as long as they are both made to the same spec they should both do the job. As to why it now leaks continually with a series of new seals, that's anyones guess! How does the axle look where the seal runs, is it scored? If you can't get the Nissan seals to hold, try getting aftermarket.
Another possibillity is you may have a slightly bent diff housing.

Tony

Roady
21st October 2010, 04:13 PM
Is the outside diameter of the new seal the same as the old one? they look different sizes. Is the housing original? Could be out of a different model.
Had problem yesterday at work were a axle had broken, got a second hand unit from another GU but it would not fit.

Finly Owner
21st October 2010, 10:51 PM
just thinking outside the box, is there any evidence of damage to sealing surface? Are you using a new seal every time? as 2nd hand ones can be damaged.

Otherwise I can't offer anymore than what's been said already.

Andrelr
22nd October 2010, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the replies:smiley_thumbs_up:

Bent diff housing i guess not, because it did not leak before, just changed it for precaution,

New seal every time, always Nissan ones.
This time I will put new king pin bearings.

I don't know if the housing is original, but the same seal on the other side fixed the problem:confused:

Thanks everyone, I will give news when I get it fixed.:bigthumbup: