PDA

View Full Version : Converting A GU 4.5,3.0,2.8 to td42

growler2058
2nd August 2012, 02:07 AM
OK I'm putting a flame suit on :sterb032::eck05:I imagine some Q and U guys will be ready to give me what for.
Orighty here goes. Agatha's body is starting to look not quite as sexy as when she was a young girl......soooo an upgrade of sorts will need to take place in the next 12 mths i rekon.It seems you can get a 4.5 GU pretty cheap but i dont want petrol. I want my TD42 still and my lift and my locker and my 5spd. Can such a conversion be done and if yes whats involved. Am I better off looking for a 2.8 or 3.0 for a conversion. I havent totally dismissed looking for another Q with a good body, but i kinda want something a little bit bigger, and i figure its gunna be the same amount of work either way. Ive been going hard on the search button the last couple of nights but cant find anything definitive or detailed enough to help me decide. Ive got a complete troll as a donor engine mounts etc g/box cross member. I'm in a state of confusion I love me tuff N ruff as guts Q, but gotta do something.

my third 256
2nd August 2012, 07:50 AM
hey growler what about getting a gu with a blown 3lt motor i rekon you could get it at a good price
if you want some help to do the conversion let me know and i can give you a hand
ps hows the chillies im ready for them
stephen

Bob
2nd August 2012, 09:22 AM
Kat's GU is for Sale. It is a 4.5 and Auto.
Plenty of Power and Comfort. Now that you are getting up in years you will need your comfort RAFLMAO

taslucas
2nd August 2012, 10:13 AM
I choose to ignore this "growlers" fellow from now on......

Lmao

Most the time it sounds like the issues that arise from putting a TD42 into a rd28 or zd30 are that the gearbox and diff ratios aren't suited to the TD42. Youll have the whole lot there to change over so I'm guessing it should match up?
Is there any extra computer loom type stuff that the GUs have?

How could you cut up Agatha?

Tap, crackle, pop

MudRunnerTD
2nd August 2012, 10:55 AM
Hey Growls,

Mate my understanding is that you will have quite a bit of trouble getting your car certified as a TD42 if you do a conversion in a GU.

I understand that your engine MUST be out of a Newer car than the car your putting it into?? Regardless of the fact that the GU came out with a TD42 i am not sure if you will slip through the cracks or not bud?

97_gq_lwb
2nd August 2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah wake up to yourself just buy a a nice late model straight gq with a blown up 2.8 and convert it like i did lol.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8171-rd28-to-td42-conversion-gq

White Elephant
2nd August 2012, 01:04 PM
Yeah wake up to yourself just buy a a nice late model straight gq with a blown up 2.8 and convert it like i did lol.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8171-rd28-to-td42-conversion-gq

x2..go the mighty Q!

Although, I had to rebuild my blown up 2.8...But she's still going!

threedogs
2nd August 2012, 01:05 PM
As with mudrunner the motor going in needs the same emission as required for that year on the motor coming out. So thinking the earlier the GU you buy the cheaper and easier it may be. You'll need to convince the powers that be that pollution is set up correctly

growler2058
2nd August 2012, 01:16 PM
Hey Growls,

Mate my understanding is that you will have quite a bit of trouble getting your car certified as a TD42 if you do a conversion in a GU.

I understand that your engine MUST be out of a Newer car than the car your putting it into?? Regardless of the fact that the GU came out with a TD42 i am not sure if you will slip through the cracks or not bud?

Something i need to check. We do get it fairly easy in SA with rego requirements. I was thinking Early early GU when did they loose the silver top td42, anyone know?

guterra
2nd August 2012, 01:18 PM
The 2.8s use a gearbox out of a 350z. (Smaller box). The 3ltrs are the same box as 4.2s but have a dual mass flywheel instead. Also slightly different diff ratio, but nothing a set of 33s or 35s won't fix... 2.8s I believe are basically different from box back...

97_gq_lwb
2nd August 2012, 03:11 PM
They went black top in the gq

Winnie
2nd August 2012, 09:59 PM
You are dead to me.

growler2058
2nd August 2012, 09:59 PM
You are dead to me.

Hahahahahahahahahahhahaa

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

Benno7
2nd August 2012, 11:20 PM
Why not spend the money on the GQ?
Say if you were to going to spend $10000 on a GU you could get all the body work looking like new on the GQ and have plenty left over for other goodies.

growler2058
2nd August 2012, 11:26 PM
Why not spend the money on the GQ?
Say if you were to going to spend $10000 on a GU you could get all the body work looking like new on the GQ and have plenty left over for other goodies.

Wellllll i was thinking i need somethin a bit bigger

NissanGQ4.2
23rd August 2012, 07:40 PM
Thread moved mate, not sure it should be in the DIY Section anyway, unless you are going to be doing the work yourself, but never the less have moved your thread into the Questions relating to DIY sub-section

Cheers

Todd