PDA

View Full Version : change power windows to manual

wayno
20th October 2010, 12:14 PM
Hi all, I have a burnt out drivers window motor and no power coming from the switch on my 1991 model.
On other forums people have suggested going back to manual window winders as the power windows
often play up, I dont mind having a winder on drivers door. What is involved in changing it over,
do you just get handle made up to fit into the motor gearbox or do you replace the whole assembly?
Thanks in advance to anyone who has made this change.

Bigcol
20th October 2010, 12:31 PM
hiya Wayno
to the best of my knowledge (limited as it is)
you just un-screw the arm rest, take the motor off
go to the wreckers
buy a new winder handle (most of them sell the aftermarket handles) for the GQ
make sure you get the clip that holds the handle on
walk out to car
push it on

bob's your uncle

however, I would be trying to get the electric ones fixed......... depending on your budget
maybe blown fuse? dirty fuse?
bad earth on the door motor?

because you cannot have the arm rest you have, with the manual handle, and it may look funny - to me anyway - but its not my car, its yours
dont mind me, Im arguing with myself on what I would do
hahahahahahaha

cheers

patch697
20th October 2010, 01:22 PM
Right on the money Bigcol...........Good advice.

wayno
21st October 2010, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the advice, hadnt considered that I would have to change the armrest. The window motor is seized with a burnt out armature, but while I look around for a replacement motor I might even try rewinding it, its a pretty basic motor. (how hard can it be-hahaha)

Bigcol
21st October 2010, 12:36 AM
wayno,
I'm guessing South West WA?
you could try JY Auto Wreckers / Midland 4x4 Wreckers, they are on Wildon St in Midvale, just off Clayton Street (9250 2226)
http://www.midland4wd.com.au/

good prices, great service, and if you ask, and they don't have, they can find for you
or at least give you an honest price to work on

I have been using them for years for odd's and sodd's

NO, I'm not affiliated with them, just a cheap lazy bugga, who looks for service and price

cheers

Finly Owner
21st October 2010, 11:05 PM
have seen motors on ebay

mudtrolluk
3rd November 2010, 07:24 AM
hiya Wayno
to the best of my knowledge (limited as it is)
you just un-screw the arm rest, take the motor off
go to the wreckers
buy a new winder handle (most of them sell the aftermarket handles) for the GQ
make sure you get the clip that holds the handle on
walk out to car
push it on

bob's your uncle

however, I would be trying to get the electric ones fixed......... depending on your budget
maybe blown fuse? dirty fuse?
bad earth on the door motor?

because you cannot have the arm rest you have, with the manual handle, and it may look funny - to me anyway - but its not my car, its yours
dont mind me, Im arguing with myself on what I would do
hahahahahahaha

cheers

Has any one pic's of this? my winows play up so may try it out.

wayno
8th November 2010, 09:03 PM
I tried going back to a winder handle for my drivers door but the motors worm drive is all that stops the window from being pushed down by hand and the motor has to be out to wind with a handle, so it wasnt very successful for a permanent thing.

NissanGQ4.2
8th November 2010, 09:16 PM
I tried going back to a winder handle for my drivers door but the motors worm drive is all that stops the window from being pushed down by hand and the motor has to be out to wind with a handle, so it wasnt very successful for a permanent thing.

are you sure about needing the motors out to wind up /down? I'm pretty sure i can manually wind my back power windows down with the motors in, i'll check 2morrow.

wayno
8th November 2010, 09:52 PM
Hi toddrhind,
Yes, on my motors (1991 model) the the armature has a worm drive on the shaft that spins to drive the gear wheel, trying to turn the gear wheel just locks onto the motor shaft so I have to remove the motor armature from the gearbox to be able to wind it. I might just put a clip or something temporarily to stop the winder handle spinning for security if someone tries to push down the window. I want to keep the other windows on power but the drivers door i am happy just to have a winder.
Cheers.

NissanGQ4.2
10th November 2010, 06:54 PM
Hi toddrhind,
Yes, on my motors (1991 model) the the armature has a worm drive on the shaft that spins to drive the gear wheel, trying to turn the gear wheel just locks onto the motor shaft so I have to remove the motor armature from the gearbox to be able to wind it. I might just put a clip or something temporarily to stop the winder handle spinning for security if someone tries to push down the window. I want to keep the other windows on power but the drivers door i am happy just to have a winder.
Cheers.

just had a read again of the thread and seen you were talking about the front drivers window, sorry i know on my 92GQ rear window i can wind up/down without taking the motor out, but unsure of the drivers window. How did you go with it all anyway, did you get a new motor and switch or change to manual???

wayno
10th November 2010, 08:33 PM
I have at the moment a made up handle with an extended shaft to accomodate the wider armrest that comes with power window models, the previous owner had broken a hole in the panel so he could get to the motor (i'm guessing), but if I do make this permanent and a bit more attractive I will post a pic.

sweet_gq
26th November 2010, 08:58 AM
both my drivers went with a couple of weeks. Have completely gone back to manual. Cost me about $150 for new trim, winders, and arm rests for all four doors. About the same as one motor.

I do miss the electric windows but much less to go wrong now.

B

Red/Black GQ Patrol
30th November 2010, 06:15 PM
I'm going for the change myself thanks to the people helping me getting the right way to do it.

Splashback
31st August 2011, 11:58 PM
Gday,
All issues I have had, or fixed for others have just been a crack in the circuit card of the ?amplifier? unit in the drivers door. It is a little black box about one inch by 2 looks like a relay. I think it actually is. has contacts. Any way, if your windows are intermittent or not at all, pop open this little sucker and slide out the card. on the back where the main contacts are you will probably see one slightly darker than the rest. Use good light and/or a magnifying glass. Simply apply a hot soldering iron to reseal the crack. Maybe a dab of solder on the tip to build it up slightly.
Hope this saves someone from handing over 60 bucks plus to the auto sparkies one day...

Josh

ShuttleVan1
18th January 2012, 01:26 PM
clean out the assembly then check for loose gears/belts

my third 256
20th January 2012, 07:24 PM
Gday,
All issues I have had, or fixed for others have just been a crack in the circuit card of the ?amplifier? unit in the drivers door. It is a little black box about one inch by 2 looks like a relay. I think it actually is. has contacts. Any way, if your windows are intermittent or not at all, pop open this little sucker and slide out the card. on the back where the main contacts are you will probably see one slightly darker than the rest. Use good light and/or a magnifying glass. Simply apply a hot soldering iron to reseal the crack. Maybe a dab of solder on the tip to build it up slightly.
Hope this saves someone from handing over 60 bucks plus to the auto sparkies one day...

Josh
You only need to take top of armrest off. Undo screw on top. The rest just unclips. Pull up plastic closest to outside of door and slide off.unplug window winder and pull apart and clean . Be careful that all springs and ballbearings don't escape.a little bit of emery to clean the contacts and a light spray of contact cleaner also is good i have just done this to my neighbours 2005 stl 4.2 diesel
it had 3 switches that went down adout 9 months ago / i took his main controller and put it in mine and it worked perfectly so that wasnt the problem its nice to have his patrol accross the road for referance no its not for sale i have first dibs