PDA

View Full Version : BigCols baby

Bigcol
20th October 2010, 01:30 AM
well, I've had my beastie for nigh on 7 yrs I think,
I haven't done much with it untill the last 2 years, just slowly updating and small mods for Touring with it.

tis a 1989 Deluxe version (?) wagon
TB42 on Gas
electronic ignition
extractors & 2 1/2 exhaust
Sony CD/MP3/USB/Aux stereo & Kenwood Amp with boom box
DVD players in the front head rests
GU cargo Barrier
Dash Pod with pitch & roll meter
Overhead Console with UHF radio
cruise control
dual batteries
2" lift
Engel plug in rear
Cibie Super Oscar's with 35w 6000L HID upgrade - AWESOME
moved rear seats back 60mm for extra leg room in rear seat
some interior parts from UK spec GQ's

mods to do still
replace bent Ally roo bar
fit rear work light
re-wire all internal gadgets through as little as possible fuse blocks, instead of how it is now
fit rear air bag's for load leveling when Van on

on the road
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/Car/BridgetownCVanPark.jpg
something to watch
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/Car/MoodyBluesyourwildestdreamsDVD.jpg
moving the rear seat
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/Car/oneseatmoved.jpg
Engel
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/Car/105_5848.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/P1040753.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/P1040752.jpg

I hope you guys like it. I sure do ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !:049:

cheers

Maxhead
20th October 2010, 07:10 AM
Looks good mate, got all the goodies inside as well.
...and even better infront of the Jayco

Good luck with all the future work

AB
20th October 2010, 08:43 AM
Very nicely set up for touring mate, well done!!!

patch697
20th October 2010, 11:06 AM
Nice setup mate, I like seeing these Rigs being used for how thay were intended instead of rotting away as oversize shopping trolleys.............Top stuff

Finly Owner
20th October 2010, 10:18 PM
Hey Col nice grey haired nomad looking toy mate. The internals show your a bit more devoted. Indeed reason to be proud.

Woof
20th October 2010, 10:42 PM
Nice Col, very nice mate

Bigcol
21st October 2010, 12:57 AM
thanks fella's
I am trying to decide on which way to go with the dash area.......
I have my GPS sitting on top of the dash pod, and have the reverse camera monitor on top of the dash..... and a battery monitor on there as well
with wires every where.
thats the need for re-wiring that place.
I have a heap of ideas, just lacking the motivation at the moment
I'm thinking of moving the stereo into the pod, and fitting the pitch & roll gauge where the stereo was
plus better interior lighting
plus better dash lighting
plus
plus
plus

I'll get there one day

cheers

patch697
21st October 2010, 11:46 AM
thanks fella's
I am trying to decide on which way to go with the dash area.......
I have my GPS sitting on top of the dash pod, and have the reverse camera monitor on top of the dash..... and a battery monitor on there as well
with wires every where.
thats the need for re-wiring that place.
I have a heap of ideas, just lacking the motivation at the moment
I'm thinking of moving the stereo into the pod, and fitting the pitch & roll gauge where the stereo was
plus better interior lighting
plus better dash lighting
plus
plus
plus

I'll get there one day

cheers

Good onya Col & please keep us updated with pics & run downs on what you did as others find this type of info very helpful when doing there own mods besides all that we just love pic here...lolol

Cheers
Paul

Woof
21st October 2010, 07:40 PM
Hey Col, when you have finished doing all of that stuff and have got the bugs out of it...............can you do mine:smile::smile::smile:

billy61
7th November 2010, 06:08 PM
yea right looking dvd in bumby car

Troy
11th November 2010, 09:50 PM
How do you find the Jayco. I have to update my old camper trailer, orders from the wife to buy an outback swan/hawk to make camping a touch more comfortable. I think she might be right though.

DX grunt
11th November 2010, 09:55 PM
Very nice.

Love the DVD's in the back headrests. Awesome. I'm looking at doing something like that for my pod.

Take care out there.

Ross

ripper
17th December 2010, 12:49 AM
Col is your dash pod a factory option, or hand made?

sweet_gq
17th December 2010, 12:18 PM
Hi Col

How did you move the rear seats back 60mm? WOuld be very interested in this as a mod

Ben

Bigrig
17th December 2010, 12:29 PM
Nice setup old mate - definitely go the poly bags in the rear for touring/weight support on the rear springs. I leave mine down all the time unless towing, and they definitely make a huge difference - worth every penny!! All the best.

Bigcol
3rd January 2011, 08:31 PM
sorry for the late reply Troy & Ripper & Sweet_gq
I forgot all about this posting - DOH

Troy - the Jayco is the ducks nuts for camping in, admittedly if I was wanting to do the Simpson etc a camper trailer would be better, but for general use - at least once a month we go away for the weekend, and it is comfortable as. the Swan/Hawk are both very nice inside, but I went with the Flamingo for the Kitchen area - entertaining is outside under the awning not inside the Camper.
in my opinion, it was well worth the money spent to buy it - 2nd hand ofcourse, but only 18mths old when I got it.

Ripper - the dash pod I brought off eBay ages ago.... I do know of a few people who have made their own, but the price was right, so I ebayed it.

Sweet_gq - after much design R&D I went to XLR8 Fabrications here in Perth ( http://www.xlr8fabrications.com/index.htm) I have to get some photo's when I can wrestle the camera off the boss, as I dont think I have any on this computer

cheers all
again, sorry for the tardiness of my answering - I work FiFo, so dont always remember to check in

ripper
3rd January 2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks Col. I think yours looks a bit bigger than others I've seen, and if I'm gonna do it, I may as well get as much space as I can.

Bigcol
4th January 2011, 12:13 AM
hey Ripper,
yeah, it sits neatly (read no more room) between the dash binnacle and the Farkenhell bar
I believe that it was originally from Department Of The Interior http://www.consoles.com.au/Nissan_GQ_pods.htm
I think I picked it up for about $100 + postage off of eBay
there was one on there the other week before Xmas, I missed out on it, as I was going to get it for a mate as a pressie
you could always make one if your that kind of handy person http://forum.patrol4x4wa.com/index.php?topic=129.0 off our WA Patrol forum

cheers

Bigcol
4th January 2011, 12:20 AM
hey Ben,
I'm off to work tomorrow, but when I return, I will hopefully gain access to the camera and take some pic's for you
basically, the front edge of the bracket that the seat base swings on, we cut the front off and moved it back 60mm into the middle of the bracket......... I hope this sort of explains it........ instead of the bracket that is bolted to the floor being an "L" shape, it is now a "T" shape - bolt holes on either side of the center section......... aaaahhhhhhhh how to explain.......?????????
you also need to remove the "bump stop" at the back of the seat, and turn the locking bracket for the seat base around for the seat to lock down properly

should also say, that if you have a cargo barrier, it will also need to be moved back and modified
I am thinking this is in English, so hopefully you will understand
but I think I am thinking in Gibberish.......................

cheers

ripper
4th January 2011, 12:39 AM
Thanks Col, I was wondering how you would screw a pod down, that thread shows it clearly. I've bookmarked it for later.

Bigcol
4th January 2011, 12:47 AM
and another for you Ripper

http://forum.patrol4x4wa.com/index.php?topic=2075.0

cheers

Patrica
11th January 2011, 10:42 AM
Looks like you're in the cabin of a 747 with the DVD headrest

ripper
11th January 2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks Col.
I'm working on plans for my centre console at the moment. Any luck I'll get the frame of it done this week, then work out how to upholster it.

Bigcol
19th February 2011, 02:28 AM
hey Ripper, how did you go?
get it all sorted?

ripper
19th February 2011, 01:47 PM
That'd be nice, but no, not done. One major drama here ATM, and a few minor ones.
Centre console mod has been put on the back burner for a little while.

On the positive side, I found what caused a fusible link to blow. I did something stupid with it :-)

Bigcol
6th April 2011, 01:56 AM
On the positive side, I found what caused a fusible link to blow. I did something stupid with it :-)

ahhhhhhh that silly bug, mate of mine did the same thing recently, and I have nearly done it a few times.......... at the last second gone "hang on" and just saved myself

Bigcol
16th May 2011, 11:54 PM
MINOR UP DATE

I brought my self a 1999 GU DX 4.2L Diesel Wgn in Feb, still getting the feel of it after the GQ for sooooo long
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/GU%20DX/passengerside.jpg

very happy with it, only mods so far are XLR8 Sliders and rear light Bracket
and changed the tail lights to UK spec - and they ALL work - (ebay is such a nice place for goodies)

light bracket
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/GU%20DX/XLR8LightBracket.jpg

sliders
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/GU%20DX/PassengerSideXLR8Sliders.jpg

brought a dash pod for the GU's, I have it sitting there, to see how it looks & "feels" when driving, seems ok so far, will fit my UHF and some gauges into it (water temp/oil pressure and if I can find - dual battery gauge)
I also brought a pillar pod, but thats for when I get Pyro & Boost gauges

so thats all so far

cheers

Clunk
17th May 2011, 12:00 AM
looks very neat indeed mate.......... pick it up from West**e Auto by any chance?????????

DX grunt
17th May 2011, 12:04 AM
Nice truck, Col. Any chance of a quick pic of the dash pod and where you're gunna mount it? Would the pod fit into a ute or not?

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

Bigcol
17th May 2011, 12:14 AM
Clunk, - yeah man, got it from them - was advertised as a Turbo (has the stickers on the side) but its not
so got a fare sort of discount in the end

Rosco - I will go out there now - in the dark - and hope like hell my camera will make a decent shot
just for you mate

I actually got it from a guy who advertised it as for a GU Ute
tis the same (again) as the ones sold by Dept of the Interior
sits on top of the dash mat, with Velcro

back in a few with a pic for you

cheers

Bigcol
17th May 2011, 12:38 AM
okies then Rosco................

head on
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/GU%20DX/P1010177.jpg
from the side
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/GU%20DX/P1010178.jpg
through the windscreen (mind the bugs?)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/GU%20DX/P1010179.jpg

also fitted on of my "new" LCD lights into the interior light Rosco, Dayam, good investment for you

cheers

Clunk
17th May 2011, 12:39 AM
nice one bigcol...... looks the goods? so what have you done with your GQ?

DX grunt
17th May 2011, 12:40 AM
okies then Rosco................

head on
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/GU%20DX/P1010177.jpg
from the side
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/GU%20DX/P1010178.jpg
through the windscreen (mind the bugs?)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/GU%20DX/P1010179.jpg

also fitted on of my "new" LCD lights into the interior light Rosco, Dayam, good investment for you

cheers

Thanks heaps. I'll pm you in the next day or two.

Rossco

Bigcol
17th May 2011, 12:42 AM
you can just see the rear of her lurking in the carport on that first picture

have to remove the reversing camera + probably the DVD head rests (dont think it will be a selling point with them in)
and also my Cibie's
and maybe the Amp & Sub - although, I think I will leave them in there, and just get new ones for the GU

cheers

Bigcol
17th May 2011, 12:49 AM
ALSO

had it Dyno'd at United's the other day, Matt was still on holidays, but Steve sorted it for me

first off.........
tis a TD42 NA, running with 3" lift and 33's (Micky T's Baja MTZ's) has Diesel Gas fitted as well

now
on diesel only
88Kw (119Hp) / 3717RPM & 257Nm / 2243 RPM

with Gas on as well..........

92Kw (125Hp) 3823 RPM & 273Nm / 1593 RPM

not bad for a Std motor......

not bad for a base line to start working from either

cheers

Clunk
17th May 2011, 12:51 AM
you can just see the rear of her lurking in the carport on that first picture

have to remove the reversing camera + probably the DVD head rests (dont think it will be a selling point with them in)
and also my Cibie's
and maybe the Amp & Sub - although, I think I will leave them in there, and just get new ones for the GU

cheers

ah yes, so I see after looking again lol............... fancy selling your dash pod out of it????

Bigcol
17th May 2011, 12:59 AM
no worries mate -
for you - $7000.00, and I will throw in the rest of the car for free........

sound like a deal you cannot pass up??????????????

cheers

Clunk
17th May 2011, 01:01 AM
no worries mate -
for you - $7000.00, and I will throw in the rest of the car for free........

sound like a deal you cannot pass up??????????????

cheers

hahahahahahaha sounds like a good deal but unfortunately not one the boss lady will let me go for :(

timbar
17th May 2011, 03:18 AM
good score Col

growler2058
17th May 2011, 06:21 AM
Nice n white mate very neat lookin rig

nowoolies
17th May 2011, 10:15 AM
onya col
now you gunna come out and play on the 29th and get her ......DIRTY ???????

Bob
17th May 2011, 10:23 AM
Another Good Looking GU and white as well. Top Marks

Sir Roofy
17th May 2011, 01:51 PM
Wil be interesting to see how your fuel will go towing and just touring with the gas mix,could be a good combination for out back with a long range tank and extra gas as well

Bigcol
17th May 2011, 04:21 PM
hey Paul,
you should have seen both mine & mikes after we did the reccy for that trip - his with mud, mine with dirt - both with new pin stripping hahahahaha
at this stage I will be along for the trip on the 29th, probably TEC or something, whatever Mike decides

hiya Roofy,
yeah, not to sure about using the Gas at the moment though, as I have been told EVERYWHERE it would work a heap better if it was Turbo'd....... true enough as well
when I put the gas on at the moment, yes - it is noticeable (a whole 4Kw?????) but the smoke will have every greenie this side of the boarder chasing me
put it on gas - gas will burn quicker than the diesel, so it spews - and I mean SPEWS black smoke (un-burnt diesel) - far to embarrassing for the small amount of gain at the moment

but
a Turbo is on the list of things to get - then it will be well worth it

just got to get someone to buy my Beastie - when its ready for selling - and then see how it goes then

cheers

Sir Roofy
17th May 2011, 04:37 PM
hey Paul,
you should have seen both mine & mikes after we did the reccy for that trip - his with mud, mine with dirt - both with new pin stripping hahahahaha
at this stage I will be along for the trip on the 29th, probably TEC or something, whatever Mike decides

hiya Roofy,
yeah, not to sure about using the Gas at the moment though, as I have been told EVERYWHERE it would work a heap better if it was Turbo'd....... true enough as well
when I put the gas on at the moment, yes - it is noticeable (a whole 4Kw?????) but the smoke will have every greenie this side of the boarder chasing me
put it on gas - gas will burn quicker than the diesel, so it spews - and I mean SPEWS black smoke (un-burnt diesel) - far to embarrassing for the small amount of gain at the moment

but
a Turbo is on the list of things to get - then it will be well worth it

just got to get someone to buy my Beastie - when its ready for selling - and then see how it goes then

cheers

ok so then you must have picked the rig up pretty cheap then if its belching that much smoke
and your saying once turboed up youll get more horse power and no smoke very interesting in deed

Bigcol
17th May 2011, 06:28 PM
no no no Roofy, on the contrary, I think you have miss understood what I was saying

there is nothing wrong with the rig - in fact when I had it Dyno'd at United Fuel Injection, it is running better than when Nissan first sold it
and it cost me more than $20K is all Im saying about the price - it was advertised for $25K

now, Tony will probably explain the workings of a Diesel better than me, but I will try

for each cylinder there is a finite amount of air & fuel put into it to work at an optimum
you CAN adjust your fuel through injector timing and some mods to the pumps themselves I have heard, but you are still governed by the amount of area for the air & fuel mixture
mine, I can only surmise is working at its optimum at the present to have the dyno figures I have

once you add MORE fuel into an already optimum ratio, you start to not burn all available fuel - why sometimes you see diesels smoking, and sometimes others are not

now Gas (LPG) by its nature, burns at approx 110% - so it also helps to burn excess air - and has a higher combustion point than Diesel
but
when it is added to a cylinder that is already burning at top efficiently, you end up with some fuel NOT burning,
in my case - Diesel, because the gas will burn quicker & faster then the diesel
so it blows black smoke when on diesel AND Gas

now,
if I add extra air - TURBO - I will then have MORE air available for the extra fuel I add (adding the gas to it)

so as I had been told from the onset, the Diesel Gas systems will only work efficiently on a Turbo motor, and not gain enough on a NA motor to make the instillation worth while.

as it is already on my car, it will stay and when the Turbo goes on, kewl more power
if it wasn't on my car, I dont think I would have fitted it, unless I was wanting more power AFTER I had fitted a Turbo

in much the same way as in the 3L you can re-chip them, as they are electronically operated fuel pumps for more power, with Mechanically operated pumps - early TD42, you cannot, so Gas injection is another way of increasing the power available

I think that could possibly explain it........

cheers

Sir Roofy
17th May 2011, 06:52 PM
well done col understand it now was just going the long way round thanks for that

Bigcol
17th May 2011, 07:17 PM
no worries mate......
how are you going with your TB45?

Dark 1
17th May 2011, 07:47 PM
Top stuff Bigcol, welcome to the gu family. Looks the goods mate, please keep the piccies coming we like piccies.

Sir Roofy
17th May 2011, 07:53 PM
shes going ok needs a tuneup on the gas side running at 23l per100 will put up with till i go to wonnangatta thursday week then toolangi after that
so if i have any money left ill get it done

GUtsy ute
17th May 2011, 07:54 PM
Top stuff Bigcol, welcome to the gu family. Looks the goods mate, please keep the piccies coming we like piccies.

X2 on the pics, nice GU you have too, Bigcol.

Bigcol
17th May 2011, 09:29 PM
Roofy,
I know with my Beastie, she only gets 2 tuneups a year
once at beginning of winter
once at beginning of summer

they are a sneaky lot with the gas, they put additives in in winter, to stop it freezing the lines too much - more wax and something else, dont remember
then in summer, they take them out again
so you CAN have all sorts of misery trying to get it running good.

with mine, I wasnt too concerned with the economy side of things - its Petrol / Gas
so it is tuned for performance on Gas (can spin 11R tyres on dry road if your not careful) - and get only 250-300Kms out of an 80L Gas tank (200Kms with aircon on and towing the van)
funny enough, I still LOVE my Beastie, thats why I still havent got around to selling it yet...... but the rego is due soon, once I pay that, a different story will emerge I am sure

cheers

ripper
17th May 2011, 10:11 PM
Just curious Col. In what ways is your GU better than your GQ? You say you love your GQ, so I'm wondering what made you update?

Bigcol
18th May 2011, 01:17 AM
Just curious Col. In what ways is your GU better than your GQ? You say you love your GQ, so I'm wondering what made you update?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
this is a VERY hard question to answer believe it or not............

first off, I need a run down of the Beastie

she is 22 yrs old, 1 small piece of rust behind rear bumper, I've had her for 6/7 yrs, spent a small fortune on upgrading and mods and keeping her on the road, and only done about 60K kms in that time
as stated, tuned for Gas performance, so when towing the van, it is not that noticeable untill you hit a hill just how much you really do loose with the gas (like looking for straight road for about 5kms to over take someone doing 90Kms)
plus the fuel capacity wasn't good for me, 200Kms out of the gas towing the van - with aircon on, plus the approx 200kms out of the Petrol(55L tank) - N#1 main reason
(did a trip Perth to Gerro with NO petrol as the elect pump shagged itself after we left, very expensive for gas when you can find it - Cataby 220kms from Perth, Dongara 300odd kms from Perth)
(did another trip Gerro to Perth with NO gas, as one of the relays shagged itself just after filling up in Gerro, so driving in Petrol (when its tuned for gas) makes for a very HOT engine with plenty of stops to cool the motor down)
first thought was to rip out the Gas system, fit a long range tank, re-tune for Petrol and run it like that for awhile.........
but
the need to spend more money on some newer mods was N#2 main reason
Steel winch bar
front diff lock
long range tank, as well as upgrade the reserve tank
re-do interior for more room - Im not a little fella 6'1" 100+kgs, and my missus although smaller than me, is still nearly my size, and my daughter is the same size as me - long story, but she goes wherever we go
and although the motor has only done 230000kms, why not upgrade now while doing the rest of the mods - ie LS1 of Ford 5.4L, but what about my fuel range?

so now I'm looking at around $20K to do what I want, how I want, without doing a dodgy job
hhhmmmmmmmmmm

okay, upgrade to a newer car, with as many mods already done that I wanted
I was going to go for a brand new GU, but again there was problems

GU 3.0L Auto - 2.5t towing capacity
GU 3.0L man - 3T towing capacity
GU 4.8L Auto - 3.5T towing capacity

hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe a 4.8L

wanted a GU4.2L diesel - 3.5T towing capacity
but the last of them was 2006, and I only found 3 for sale - with NO extras, but wanted the earth for them (cheapest was $55K)

hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm still leaning towards the 4.8L

the Boss (War Office) didnt like the new shape GU's (2005 on), but loved the older shape (1998-2005)

well then, the TD42 is looking very nice thank you

the biggest plus was the fact my son (6'5") fits in the back seat without his knees in MY back

sooooooo, got more room in the back for my adult sized kids, more room for me as driver
has a steel winch bar
has DARK window tinting
and its a Diesel - longer range for touring and a single fuel to carry

so, yeah, it was time to update the age - the fuel - the range - and slightly more comfortable, with more internal room

there is an even funnier story regarding the first vehicle I brought to replace the Beastie............
but thats for another day

hhahahahahahahahaha

cheers

ripper
18th May 2011, 01:46 AM
Thanks Col. Didn't realise it would be that tricky for you to answer.
I know GU's are bigger inside, and I'd heard they were more comfortable too (not sure how much more though), and was just interested as to what made you swap.

big_fletch
18th May 2011, 10:31 AM
Very nice GU mate, will make a very capable touring and towing vehicle..
Congrats on the update

Sir Roofy
18th May 2011, 10:43 AM
Roofy,
I know with my Beastie, she only gets 2 tuneups a year
once at beginning of winter
once at beginning of summer

they are a sneaky lot with the gas, they put additives in in winter, to stop it freezing the lines too much - more wax and something else, dont remember
then in summer, they take them out again
so you CAN have all sorts of misery trying to get it running good.

with mine, I wasnt too concerned with the economy side of things - its Petrol / Gas
so it is tuned for performance on Gas (can spin 11R tyres on dry road if your not careful) - and get only 250-300Kms out of an 80L Gas tank (200Kms with aircon on and towing the van)
funny enough, I still LOVE my Beastie, thats why I still havent got around to selling it yet...... but the rego is due soon, once I pay that, a different story will emerge I am sure

cheers

thanks for that col not realy concerned to much new about them playing with the fuel when i get some change will get her tuned
air gas might be out a tad

DX grunt
18th May 2011, 11:44 AM
Congrats Col - over 1,000 views of your truck.

Bigcol
18th May 2011, 01:30 PM
best add some more then - hahahahahaha

with my floor in the back, I was lucky to buy second hand this setup
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/P1010181.jpg

the "lid" on the passenger side lifts up and out the way when the fridge goes in...... (where the MQ/MK hub caps are)
and it has Engel plug and ciggy plug already fitted

I'm happy with it.....

cheers

Bob
18th May 2011, 01:33 PM
Great set up mate

Bigcol
18th May 2011, 01:34 PM
also forgot to add

the space is for an Engel fridge slide (up to 40L I think), mine is an ARB type (40L), hence why its not been fitted in there yet
have to sell that one, and get an Engel one....

cheers

Bigcol
15th November 2011, 10:42 AM
well its been awhile since I have been on, and seen this thread - I forgot all about it.......
whats news?
well.......
I have had my friendly neighborly mate Mike come over and help me (read I was the apprentice) and do a heap of things over the last few months
I was getting phyked up for my holiday - so I was a typical 1st year apprentice - got in the way
PICTURES WILL FOLLOW - dont yell

1) re-wired a heap of things
a) removed Stereo (Amp & Sub) out of Blue car and fitted it
b) fitted new front & rear speakers & the Amp & the Stereo Head
c) fitted a new Fuse box in the back, against the Cargo Barrier
d) re-wired the Engel & 12V plugs in the back - can now run BOTH my Engels & another Item (or 1 Engel & 2 other items)
e) re-wired my "camping Lights" - reverse work lights
f) remove (from Blue Car) and re-fit electric Brake Controller
g) wire up a new Anderson Plug to Rear
h) re-wire my and fit new Trailer Plug

Still to do -
move Stereo Head Unit & UHF to Dash Pod
fit 7" GPS to where radio's used to be

2) Had a talk with Matt from United Fuel Injection, we made a deal and
and
he fitted up the Factory Turbo & Inter-cooler from the motor I had
as well as fitting a new 3" exhaust

DAYAM
goes like stink now
up from 88Kw on just Diesel to 107Kw with the Diesel & Gas
and from 257Nm on just Diesel to 300+ with the Diesel & Gas

All I know is I can now drive it like I stole it - not drive it like I'm 97yrs old

ever seen the "cat eating Shyte grin" that's ME
(can not for the life of me work out why Photo bucket will NOT upload a .PDF file - it used to)
otherwise I would put up the Dyno figures

so I have to re-charge the camera battery and get some photo's for ya'all

patch697
15th November 2011, 10:46 AM
Sounds awesome can't wait to see your piccies.

Bigcol
17th November 2011, 01:33 AM
well, I fitted an awning today
much impressed that things did not go wrong as per usual

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/GU%20DX/fullyout.jpg

where the Amp is hidden
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/GU%20DX/AmpHidden.jpg

rear area Fuse Box
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/GU%20DX/rearfusebox.jpg

cheers

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 04:37 PM
wow, havent updated this for a long long time

best get the diget out

threedogs
26th November 2014, 04:43 PM
you'll need some led strip lighting on a dimmer for your awning now
and yes one is red

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 05:14 PM
well, first of all, I added Pyro & EGT in a pillar pod

then I added a Water Temp and Oil Pressure - sitting in the dash pod (which STILL hasn't got anything in it mind you.......)

they lasted about 2 1/2 years

then I was sick of the gauges all over the place and wanted to neaten up my dash.......
so I went for the pillar pod again, but with Autron 3 per gauge....... 3 of them in the pillar pod

top is
EGT & Pyro & Cabin Temp
2nd is Oil Pressure & Water Temp and Engine Bay Temps
3rd is Batt 1 & Batt 2 & Amp draw

this little lot (all wiring Pod and extras) came in at just over $1000.00

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 05:15 PM
they have been in over 12months now, and MAN are they the ducks nutts

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 05:24 PM
then SWMBO kept asking me what the time was.... when travelling

so I got a Left Hand Pillar Pod for her side, and put a Clock and Compass in it

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 05:28 PM
then, I thought, these 2nd glove boxes look alright - and since mine has no airbags on the passenger side

so made up the 2nd glovebox - full of crap at the moment

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 05:30 PM
also forgot to add
the space is for an Engel fridge slide (up to 40L I think), mine is an ARB type (40L), hence why its not been fitted in there yet
have to sell that one, and get an Engel one....
cheers

I did end up getting the Engel Branded Fridge slide........ has had a fare workout over the last few years

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 05:31 PM
currently holding my recovery gear & First Aide gear and car blanket

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 05:38 PM
let me see, what else..........

ahh yes, I had some LED lights on the back - on the XLR8 light bracket
till some C*nt stole it off the back of my car
what I had.....

what I have now

threedogs
26th November 2014, 05:47 PM
that looks like "FERRETS" light bracket

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 05:49 PM
I also had, as soon as I brought her in Feb 2011, some XLR8 sliders fitted

after many many months (years actually) of hassling, I eventually got my new sliders with scrub bars from XLR8

next step in that direction is convincing XLR8 to build the rear step that I want..... here's to good luck for me I say............

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 05:50 PM
that looks like "FERRETS" light bracket

nah mate, got it off XLR8 about 3 years ago - probably march / april 2011 just after I brought the Beastie

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 05:53 PM
couple of years back - well, early last year I think
I scored a 7000lb winch for her
before

after

photo was taken on Sunday when we had the 21Patrols down at Dwellingup

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 05:55 PM
also had recovery points put in on all 4 corners way back when the winch went in - no pic - its raining outside

you can just make out the yellow on the front ones in that last pic..........

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 06:01 PM
ummmmm what else..............

I was trolling through eBay about 2 years ago, and found a shelf I liked for the back door
only 1 problem, while I was emailing the seller - someone went and clicked the "buy it now"

so the seller said he had another, but it was "soiled" - one of the edges was plazma cut wrong (as its stainless steel)
so he offered it to me cheaper
so I snapped it up
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/IMAG0850_zps87be1812.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/collorr/media/IMAG0850_zps87be1812.jpg.html)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/IMAG0851_zps3aafed8a.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/collorr/media/IMAG0851_zps3aafed8a.jpg.html)

it gets an absolute caning every time we go out / away....... 2nd best bit of kit I have brought

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 06:08 PM
then, because I tow a van most times, my bestest bit of kit has to be the Clear view mirrors I brought
started off with these

to these

to these

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 06:15 PM
the reason its taking so long to do the mods I want, is because I am also doing Mods to my camper
started off with this

then the new (to me) Patrol with mods done to the camper - did a custom front box for it

then I upgraded the Camper to an Expanda......

Stropp
26th November 2014, 06:16 PM
attachments dont work

I was trolling through eBay about 2 years ago, and found a shelf I liked for the back door
only 1 problem, while I was emailing the seller - someone went and clicked the "buy it now"

so the seller said he had another, but it was "soiled" - one of the edges was plazma cut wrong (as its stainless steel)
so I snapped it up

it gets an absolute caning every time we go out / away....... 2nd best bit of kit I have brought

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 06:17 PM
making a box for the front of the Jayco was the easy bit
moving the Gas bottle, re-running the gas lines, moving the hand brake cable - they were the hard bits.......

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 06:19 PM
attachments dont work

mmmmmm not sure why.......
it shows on mine
then it dont
then it does

WTF????

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 06:22 PM
what happens if you click on them Stropp?

do they work then???

(they are for me.........)

Stropp
26th November 2014, 06:40 PM
invalid attachment ??

what happens if you click on them Stropp?

do they work then???

(they are for me.........)

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 06:44 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmm
curious and curiouser

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 06:47 PM
the reason its taking so long to do the mods I want, is because I am also doing Mods to my camper
started off with this

then the new (to me) Patrol with mods done to the camper - did a custom front box for it

then I upgraded the Camper to an Expanda......

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/Jayco%20Flamingo/Bridgetown_zps7d6c1097.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/collorr/media/Jayco%20Flamingo/Bridgetown_zps7d6c1097.jpg.html)

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 06:54 PM
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/IMAG0175_zps902c5fd0.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/collorr/media/IMAG0175_zps902c5fd0.jpg.html)

thats the box on the draw bar

this is the new (1 yr old already...)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/IMAG0232_zps3458f68e.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/collorr/media/IMAG0232_zps3458f68e.jpg.html)

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 06:59 PM

so I snapped it up
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/IMAG0850_zps87be1812.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/collorr/media/IMAG0850_zps87be1812.jpg.html)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn309/collorr/IMAG0851_zps3aafed8a.jpg (http://s307.photobucket.com/user/collorr/media/IMAG0851_zps3aafed8a.jpg.html)

hows that Stropp??

Bigcol
26th November 2014, 07:05 PM
funny, because some of the photo's were on Photo bucket
and some were on my computer

but

the ones of the door table were on my puter - and didnt work
and the ones of the different Van were on photobucket - and didnt work

so re-uploaded them all, and it worked...........

I just dont know why.........

Stropp
26th November 2014, 07:33 PM
hows that Stropp??

better i can see them now sort of (my eyes are roo ted)

Moozle2000
5th December 2014, 07:27 PM
Nice clean rig mate, you've done a great job
what trips have you taken her on touring?

Bigcol
5th December 2014, 07:36 PM
well, the GQ did
Pth, Kal, Esperence, Augusta, Pth several times
pth - Pt Gregory - more times than I can remember
pth, Gerro, Carnarvon, Exmouth, Carnarvon, pth a couple of times
pth, Gerro, Carnarvon, Gascoyne, Kal, pth
lots and lots of Pth, york, northam, pth
and so many more I cannot remember - 7 years of happy travelling in her......

the tidy whitey
Pth, gerro more time than I can remember
pth, Hyden, Esperance, Denmark, Augusta, Pemberton, pth a couple of times
pth, Kal, Esperence, Walpole, manjimup pth a couple of times......
pth to Southern Cross a few times
Pth to Katanning a few times
pth to kal a few times.......

only had her 3 yrs........ so clocking up the miles in her as well........

Bigcol
9th August 2020, 12:50 PM
wow
6 years since I updated this thread, what a thread dig

in the 9 years I have owned her, she has now done 369K - started with 220K when I brought her

I have basically just driven her to death, figuratively as well as actually

when I had the turbo & intercooler put on, I was told that I would be lucky to get 100K out of the black top before it died, well, I got just a smidgen under 150k

I cracked a piston........... :(

she is currently in getting re-built, to better than before

I was quoted between $15K and $19k to "re-build" the TD - thats was new liners and all, which I mulled over and stewed over for 8 months, before buying another TD GQ for the motor (only 260K's silver top)

so the thought was to swap the engines and away we go,
however
I lernt a near fatal lesson about old age
1. I am not as young as I used to be
2. I am not as young as I think I am
3. injuries take longer to heal when your older.........

simples, get a car, take the motor out 1 weekend, roll car out of the way, take other motor out next weekend
spend a weekend cleaning engine bay and swapping GQ wiring plugs to GU and get all ready for transplant
have a week off (as we were going away)
then the next weekend put engine into Pooie (Tidy Whitey's name) - because every time you want to do something (change radio, rewire spot lights etc) it all goes to poo

yeah, nah
didnt happen
first weekend, radiator out, air con out tail shafts off
pulled muscle in left shoulder trying to un-do bolts not touched since factory build

6 weeks later after healing and trip, un-do all ancillaries in engine bay, and take exhaust off, then exhaust manifold off, pulled muscle in lower back bending over all freaking day

another 8 weeks after healing and another trip on holidays, start on the bell housing bolts, all but 3 came off - the 2 at the top had me stumped, and one under the starter motor was a ba$tard, finally came off, but at the cost of a reefed muscle in my right shoulder

12 weeks re-hab, and convalescing
finally make a socket/spanner to un-do those 2 bolts at the top of the engine/bell housing
un-do engine mounts, attach hoist, lift out engine, place on the ground
all up, including re-hab and convalescing, a weekend job (that I used to do), was closer to 7 months

but wait - there is more

a month later when I went to move the motor and crane out of the way from where it was sitting, to a better position, when I let it down onto some blocks of wood, the damn thing fell over onto my little tow - yeap - broken

shittingmongralbastardspasticarseholewankerfukking thing

so Pooie (tidy whitey) and her new-ish motor sat outside under the back patio for another couple of months while I dreaded having to get HER motor out, and the physical cost to doing that
I happened to be at a mates workshop, (with another mate who was getting some work booked in to be done) - he asked me about Pooie, and said, well you do know we told you about 100K for a black top with turbo
yeah yeah yeah
when I said, she still runs, baddly, but runs, he said send me a video, maybe you have only snapped a piston
so I did
and yes, he said I had cracked a piston, and he could re-build her for me
which he currently is doing, as it is at his house with the engine out and stripped

so, eventually she will be home soon, and back to being the great beastie she was before