PDA

View Full Version : GQ Crawler gears Possible D.I.Y

shorty
30th July 2012, 04:06 PM
Has any one installed crawler gear in low range transfer gq case rock hoppers or marks adapters can it be done at home or do you need presses etc?

nissannewby
31st July 2012, 01:18 PM
Can be done at home mate they come with instructions and if you have a manual along side these instructions you cant go wrong.

gu4500
4th August 2012, 12:11 AM
From what I recall of the fitting instructions, you need to obviously strip down the transfer, then if fitting 3.7:1 gears, you do need to have a die grinder or similar to "make some room" internally for the larger gears.

Just be aware that even the transfer case from a GQ / GQ isn't light and you'll need either help or mechanical help to get it in/out.

I'd guess a dry transfer case (no oil/fluids) is near enough to 40kg..... and a gearbox/transfer case together I'm told is up near 150kg?????

And when I got my Marks gear kit, it as sent by Aus Post or courier? would have been 10-15kg, I remember carrying it home from my work at the time on the train, and the walk, and I reckon my arms nearly fell off due to size/shape etc.......

shorty
15th August 2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks guys as soon as i can scratch up the coin for the parts i will get into it had a ride in a gq with marks adapters 85% reduction gears what a difference cant wait!