PDA

View Full Version : No Bull Myth Busters Thread

AB
19th October 2010, 08:57 PM
Ok, I have had enough of unsolved myths and hoaxes floating around the internet about certain things and have decided to start an official myth busters thread.

I would hope that the members on this forum will be honest about solving myths about anything bought up in this thread and or try it out to see if its plausible or just another full of it myth.

First subject is pulling apart a 6V battery to find a bundle of AA's inside?

Has anyone tried this and can prove It's true or just another hoax?

If we havent had a 100% confident reply in a week than I'll bloody buy one myself and find out and post pictures of whats inside.....Maybe a container of battery acid which sprays my pretty boy face and turn me into a monster but It's worth a crack to finally put this myth to rest...haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBQDGvhr3kE&feature=fvw

Woof
19th October 2010, 09:03 PM
From memory, when I was a kid, (yeah yeah they did have batteries back then Plassy) they have flat square looking plates in them, maybe things have changed since then.

AB
19th October 2010, 09:16 PM
Bugger this, I'll be back in an hour and find out!!!

NissanGQ4.2
19th October 2010, 09:26 PM
I would say...full of it myth.

1....why would you bother to label the batteries just to put in side another battery???
2....why would you use different brand batteries in another battery....panasonic....enerergizer...few other brands

BUSTED!!!!!

Next one we do can we blow something up AB??????

AB
19th October 2010, 09:30 PM
Well there you go folks, I hope someone here appreciates this as I just ruined my only torch in the house and if theres a blackout then Im stuck using the ciggy lighter...lol

But, no bull I just ripped it open and found 4 x D batteries....You can see Im not lieing as I have not pulled it fully open...Hoping to put it back together now to see if it still works...haha

Finly Owner
19th October 2010, 09:45 PM
Now if you could keep it all in good shape, and use rechargable batteries you could keep swapping for freshly recharge batteries, into the original case

Maxhead
19th October 2010, 09:50 PM
Your a clown AB, where did you find that clip?? lololo

Woof
19th October 2010, 09:54 PM
OK they have 4xD cell batteries in there, but...............do they work in a torch that uses D cells??????????????????????????????

Finly Owner
19th October 2010, 10:50 PM
OK they have 4xD cell batteries in there, but...............do they work in a torch that uses D cells??????????????????????????????

No because the torch only uses two "D" cell batteries

hahahahahaaaaa....heheheheheheeeeee.ROFLMAO

NissanGQ4.2
19th October 2010, 10:54 PM

how very true Tim *LMAO*

Woof
19th October 2010, 11:37 PM

Not my Maglight Tim....................gotcha:049::049:
Speaking of Maglights, I got mine from Coles and it is a LED one and only cost $29 so keep an eye out for them.... Damn I'm guilty of :hijacked:

Finly Owner
20th October 2010, 12:33 AM
Not my Maglight Tim....................gotcha:049::049:
Speaking of Maglights, I got mine from Coles and it is a LED one and only cost $29 so keep an eye out for them.... Damn I'm guilty of :hijacked:

"batteries not included"?

AB
20th October 2010, 08:52 AM
I was just thinking that, I wonder how much 4 x D batteries cost compared to the 6 volt pack...haha

Yeah that vid was full of it, I thought everything on youtube was the truth....lol

patch697
20th October 2010, 10:59 AM
I thought everything on youtube was the truth....lol

This is not the sort of comment I need to hear coming from you AB......Our illustrious leader...........HAHAHAHAHAHAH

AB
21st October 2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks to the 4wd Australia Association they have busted a lot of myths about how dangerous the public portray 4wd's to be.

Here is an extract of some hard facts regarding 4wd's singled out as the dangerous vehicle in rollover's and centre of gravity myths.

More to come later about other myths and public perception of our 4wd's.

There seems to be this perception that 4WDs have some inherent centre of gravity problem. It goes without saying that any larger vehicle has a higher centre of gravity.

But it should be noted that the height of the BODY of a vehicle is almost irrelevant to its centre of gravity: the majority of the mass of a heavy 4WD vehicle is in the engine, gearbox, chassis, fuel tanks and drive train.

The centre of mass of these components is actually only a little higher than a sedan vehicle: it is only that height which is the difference of the larger tyres and rims that are fitted plus a little. Any engineer will tell you why: it’s to do with how drive trains and how universal joints have to work (this does not take into account highly “lifted” competition vehicles).

In order of rollover ease (highest to lowest) you could classify vehicles: B-Double, Semi Trailer, Heavy Truck, Bus, Light Truck/Delivery Van, Heavy 4WD, People Mover, Light 4WD, Sedan, Sports Car, Go Kart.

This is completely consistent with a study carried out by Monash University and the Victorian police which in fact found that the large four-wheel drives are not as easy to roll over as has been portrayed. In fact several of the utility style vehicles were substantially more likely to roll over than the Heavy 4WDs.

As to dynamic handling there are many vehicles which have scored less than a sports car in the moose/swerve/hook/slalom test. The classic was the Mercedes A160 which rolled when a journalist tested the vehicle! Further a fully loaded vehicle will have very different characteristics than an unloaded one: a delivery van for example.

Why is the 4WD singled out for special mention as to its handling?

Finly Owner
21st October 2010, 10:38 PM
perfect text