PDA

View Full Version : 305/70r16's mickey thompson baja claw ttc

belken
29th July 2012, 08:16 PM
Just went out and bought 5 new mickey thompson baja claw ttc's

How has anyone found these tyres for wear and tear?

Im finding that its a nice smooth ride on the road as well as off road.

next will be the 3 inch lift im putting in this week

MEGOMONSTER
29th July 2012, 08:21 PM
After seeing what the CLAWS did today wouldn't mind a set. WOW, no double WOW WOW

growler2058
29th July 2012, 08:26 PM
Howdy mate welcome aboard jump over to the intros and say gday something we ask all members to do cheers
Will be lookin a claws for my next set of tyres

04OFF
30th July 2012, 09:07 AM
The only bad thing ive heard about them, is that due to the tread design, the car will tend to slip sideways on mud/clay tracks worse than others, ive not seen this myself, only heard second hand.

Id too be interested in this style of tyre, so perhaps you could test out this "rumor" so we can get the facts ?

threedogs
30th July 2012, 09:15 AM
I run Mickey T 305 x 16 MTZs and if claws are better hang onto your hat. MTZs not the best wearing muddy I've ever had, but still quiet

nissannewby
31st July 2012, 12:21 PM
Hey mate we run a set in the same size as that. The wear rate isnt great and as they wear the certainly get noisier. Offroad however the sliding sideways part has been fixed with the new ttc design and isnt as bad they are a very good tyre but dont expect a huge amount of k's out of them wear wise. Also as the claws wear the lugs tend to wear uneven making them feel like a knobby motorcycle tyre at slower speeds. But awesome tyre for offraod :)

97_gq_lwb
31st July 2012, 12:43 PM
I was told they are great going forward but not much traction going backwards down hill.
Not that you would be going backwards too often anyway.

nissannewby
31st July 2012, 12:54 PM
They can be great on sand if you reverse them as instead of pushing the sand out they draw it in under the tyre.

threedogs
31st July 2012, 01:08 PM
AH they are directional then, would never put a set of directional tyres on my 4x4 again.IMO
Apart from sounding like every bearing in you 4by is shot, nah not a big fan. never again

Moosehead
15th September 2013, 11:32 PM
Best tyres I have ever used. Tried the Mickey Thompson MTZ's but prefer the BAJA Claws 305/70/R16 on my GU Patrol. Each set have worn evenly and NOT scalloped like some other brands I have tried over 20+ years on this and previous vehicles. I found them the best (comparing to other tyres I have owned) when on gravel roads at cruising speed where they bite through the loose gravel on sweeping bends and resist drifting out like other tyres I have owned like BF Goodrich and Desert Duellers. I found that new they give the best grip from that deep tread but they will give long life and wear right down giving good value. Just don't expect the worn down but still legal to grip like new as that new deep tread is unstoppable. I usually keep a near new set for going on big trips etc and then put the worn but legal set back on for daily commuting to get the wear out of them to the end.

MEGOMONSTER
16th September 2013, 05:47 AM
I really like the look of directional tyres.

protege146
4th October 2013, 05:12 PM
I really like the look of directional tyres.

What kind of rims is this? Love to have them for my GQ...

MEGOMONSTER
4th October 2013, 05:59 PM
What kind of rims is this? Love to have them for my GQ...

They will be Mickey Thompson rims

protege146
4th October 2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks MEGOMONSTER!!! hopefully they can ship internationally..