PDA

View Full Version : Rear Storage Systems

nickpeacock36
19th October 2010, 08:08 AM
G'Day all

Does anyone have a good DIY rear storage system that they dont mind sharing? The shop bought ones look great but are pretty expensive. Or do you think they are worth the money? If so which ones do you recomend?

Tony
19th October 2010, 10:31 AM
Before making or buying a storage system think carefully what you want to use it for.
Possibly the most important decision is whether you plan to carry a fridge now or in the future.
If you do want to carry a fridge keep it as low in the vehicle as possible - if it is perched on top of a drawer system
it is likely that your better half will not even be able to look into it when it is open even if it is on a fridge slide.
Imagine this situation in addition to a 50 mm suspension lift as well when you later decide a suspension upgrade is required.
(Nearly every 4X4 benefits hugely from a suspension upgrade.)

Also certain other upgrades one might contemplate in the future such as fitting longe range fuel tanks will require the
(temporary) removal of the storage system.

Some manufacturers offer a fridge drop system to help lower the fridge to a practical height particularly for the ladies.
However I feel that the engineering is not up to scratch on this one yet.

Essentially, planning is important particularly because it is likely that your finances will not allow simultaneous upgrades.
Additionally a cheap system will likely fall to pieces over time and not really perform to expectations. A thousand km of corrugations
on the aptly named Plenty Highway can destroy much more than just a poorly constructed storage system.
Generally look for robust well engineered solutions that make your time out and about a pleasure not a pain!

nickpeacock36
19th October 2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the info Tony, very wise words i think. A friend of mine mentioned the height issue also and when i mentioned the drop down systems he told me they can weigh as much as 25KG which is another issue when trying to keep the weight down
. I fancy having a crack at a 2 drawer system that goes at the side of the fridge.

Before making or buying a storage system think carefully what you want to use it for.
Possibly the most important decision is whether you plan to carry a fridge now or in the future.
If you do want to carry a fridge keep it as low in the vehicle as possible - if it is perched on top of a drawer system
it is likely that your better half will not even be able to look into it when it is open even if it is on a fridge slide.
Imagine this situation in addition to a 50 mm suspension lift as well when you later decide a suspension upgrade is required.
(Nearly every 4X4 benefits hugely from a suspension upgrade.)

Also certain other upgrades one might contemplate in the future such as fitting longe range fuel tanks will require the
(temporary) removal of the storage system.

Some manufacturers offer a fridge drop system to help lower the fridge to a practical height particularly for the ladies.
However I feel that the engineering is not up to scratch on this one yet.

Essentially, planning is important particularly because it is likely that your finances will not allow simultaneous upgrades.
Additionally a cheap system will likely fall to pieces over time and not really perform to expectations. A thousand km of corrugations
on the aptly named Plenty Highway can destroy much more than just a poorly constructed storage system.
Generally look for robust well engineered solutions that make your time out and about a pleasure not a pain!

Finly Owner
19th October 2010, 10:28 PM
DIY drawers......take a look at my pics in members rides.......not sure how to link it here.

NissanGQ4.2
19th October 2010, 10:38 PM
DIY drawers......take a look at my pics in members rides.......not sure how to link it here.

here you go Tim

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?696-Finly

Finly Owner
19th October 2010, 10:45 PM
cool Todd how do I do that?

NissanGQ4.2
19th October 2010, 10:53 PM
cool Todd how do I do that?

Ab might be able to explain it better but i will give it a go.

just go to the thread that the info you want is on and highlight everything in the addy bar....( where the htpp:// is up the top )

Right mouse click and select copy.

Now in the message you want to post the link, just select Insert link ( icon left of envelope )

Right mouse click on where the http:// is and select past ( should paste in what you previously copied )

Select ok

Gee, i hope i explained that ok

Bigcol
19th October 2010, 11:10 PM

mmmmmmmmmm
I keep a thinkin'
but not done any doin'

every time I think I have it nailed down on what I want, something else pop's in the head, and I change my mind - again
I think
this time
that
I will have the Fridge (40L engel) on a slide on the floor on the passenger side, with a single (?) draw on the right of that
with maybe a "flap" so when the fridge is not in, I have a flat floor
or
have 2 thinner draws on the right, 1 for tools & 1 for other equipment
or
have 2 draws along the bottom, and the fridge slider on top
or
or
or

see my problem??

cheers

Woof
19th October 2010, 11:16 PM
I have a Drop Down fridge slider in the back of the Q for my 60l Engel fridge/freezer, one of the best things that I have bought for the Q.

Finly Owner
19th October 2010, 11:17 PM
Ahh a drawer underneath looks great.

Finly Owner
19th October 2010, 11:27 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1350-Rear-Storage-Systems&p=14618#post14618

just trying Todds lesson

NissanGQ4.2
20th October 2010, 05:17 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1350-Rear-Storage-Systems&p=14618#post14618

just trying Todds lesson

How did you go Tim, looks like you have it all sorted now :)

Finly Owner
20th October 2010, 10:06 PM
How did you go Tim, looks like you have it all sorted now :)

Thanks Todd, no need for AB, your tutoring did very well mate.

NissanGQ4.2
20th October 2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks Todd, no need for AB, your tutoring did very well mate.

No worries Tim.... I'm relatively computer literate but always, for some reason find it hard to explain 2 someone how to do the same thing. Glad you could work my ramblings out :)

Chambo Off to Work We Go
27th October 2010, 11:21 PM
Just ordered one from 4wd Systems. $1358 + install.
Gets done next Friday.

PS: Not always a bad thing that the missus can't see into the fridge. THey have a habit of thinking it runs better with the lid slightly ajar also. Grrrrrrrr!

TOECUTTER
10th November 2010, 06:44 PM
Hey,

I went for the cupboard option.

Bit of a PITA to retrieve some stuff, but for the ease of building it works a treat.

I keep a small toolbox, Tirfor Jack, spare parts, a small steel pistol safe, compressor and other bits and bobs like straps and stuff.

not a real goo photo, but here is a link

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1566-Toecutters-GUII

cheers

TC

Alburypete
28th February 2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the info.