PDA

View Full Version : Tough Dog Coils and Procomp Shocks

nismo404
28th July 2012, 12:24 PM
Hey guys, have purchased some 4" tough dog coils for my 89 GQ LWB Safari. In the front I'm running heavies to suit the PTO winch and bumper. However I haven't been able to decide between light/mediums or heavies for the rear. I plan on building a rear bar with a winch, dont do much towing apart from a motocross bike trailer occasionally and the only other gear I'll carry would be 4x4 gear, camping gear, hunting gear etc. I've been told to go with the heavies by a mate who had the same truck as he said the weight will add up. I don't want to compromise offraod performance too much though and want decent flex. I'm personally leaning towards the lights. Can anyone whos run Tough Dog srpings comment on them?

Also I've seen a few people running procomp es9000 shocks. Can anyone comment on the quality? I'm not looking to spend huge money on shocks and for the price they look alright?

Cheers guys

Ben-e-boy
28th July 2012, 09:11 PM
if you put soft springs in the back, the rear end will do all the flexxing and the front wont work properly, spring rate plays a big factor with flex

Lewy
29th July 2012, 11:15 AM
I have used pro comps on my old 80series with 4" lift.. I did not like them on the road they where just way to soft. Off road I found them to be good.. But you get what you pay for and pro comps are cheap!! Would I get them again? Well no I wouldn't!! After running the tough dog adjustable they would just be crap LOL

Lewy

nismo404
30th July 2012, 08:09 AM
Cheers Ben and Lewy. I think I'll go with the pro comps for now as they are cheap and being a student that means alot. In regards to the flexing ben, would I have to have weight in the rear with the heavies to make it work with the front heavies? Also does anyone know when manufacturers says thing like 0 kgs to 300, do they mean an empty standard truck, ie no gas no people etc.

Ben-e-boy
30th July 2012, 08:49 AM
Cheers Ben and Lewy. I think I'll go with the pro comps for now as they are cheap and being a student that means alot. In regards to the flexing ben, would I have to have weight in the rear with the heavies to make it work with the front heavies? Also does anyone know when manufacturers says thing like 0 kgs to 300, do they mean an empty standard truck, ie no gas no people etc.

when you get your springs you need to tell them what weight you are carrying, and they'll give you the spring rate to suit, if your front springs are too heavy for the wieght it wont flex properly in some situations, not all,

My front spring rate is for dual bateries, side bars and side steps, bullbar and winch. I didnt end up getiing a winch, the second battery has been removed and the side bar and steps have been removed. So, in some situations my front end dosnt work as well as I want it too. I works well in diagonally opposing ruts, but if i drive up a step or something with 1 front wheel the back does all the flexxing, and the front is a bit ordinary

nismo404
31st July 2012, 08:46 AM
Cheers Ben, I think my front should be ok with the front heavies. It's 24volt so the batteries won't be changing and neither would the PTO winch or bar work.

It's just the rear that got me stumped. At first they shop said heavies in the rear but then thought said mediums. I know at times when I'm offroad I'll have two mates in the back 170kg, my rear winch and bar work 90kg, 4wd gear 40kg, miscellaneous gear 30kg, so all up just over the 300. While at other's it would be minus the extra bodies so 150kg. The heaviest towing I would do regularly would be a 3 bike motocross trailer, once every 6 weeks. I think I might go for the lights and maybe when I do tow throw in some airbags. Does that sound like the best option?