PDA

View Full Version : Dual Battery setup

groundsplash
18th October 2010, 09:10 PM
thanks for the welcome everyone, I have a dual battery sytem installed by the previous owner how can I tell what the set - up is for and what it is capable of ? the vehicle had been used for towing but has never been off road as far as I am aware.

Woof
18th October 2010, 09:18 PM
Just moved your question to here mate

AB
18th October 2010, 09:35 PM
Depends on what type of batteries are in there mate but they can be used for many reasons.

1) spare battery that still gets charged whilst driving but not used when starting incase the other one goes flat.
2) Running a fridge
3) Lights, etc

I guess you could check to see if any extra cables are running off the batteries and find out where they are going. I'm hopeless with electrics so hopefully someone else can throw some more suggestions at you.

Maxhead
18th October 2010, 09:53 PM
As AB said above, the spare battery should run all your accessories and main battery is for starting and is isolated so it can't be drained by your accessories. Both batteries should charge while driving.
The type and capacity of your batteries will indicate what you can run and for how long.

molongmick
18th October 2010, 11:27 PM
As AB said above, the spare battery should run all your accessories and main battery is for starting and is isolated so it can't be drained by your accessories. Both batteries should charge while driving.
The type and capacity of your batteries will indicate what you can run and for how long.

Ditto
When I have finished with my setup it will be purely used to run the fridge, UHF and other accessories. The isolator installed in my truck will allow me to charge a second battery in the engine bay as well as charging the battery in the camper (when hooked up).

As AB said, follow the cable coming off the second battery, chances are they run to the cargo area of the patrol.

Hope this helps

Woof
19th October 2010, 06:48 PM
Always handy to be able to use the Aux Battery to start the vehicle if the main cranking battery goes flat or dies for some reason, I'm running a Red Arc system in my GQ and all I have to do is join 2 plugs together and the Aux battery will start my Q.
I had to do it when my Alternator chucked it in.

AB
19th October 2010, 08:43 PM
Whilst we are on this subject has anyone here got the calcium batteries by chance?

Finly Owner
19th October 2010, 10:06 PM
i suppose I should ask the obvious, Do you know what voltage your system is?
If yes, and you know it's 12V, then also look for a battery isolator switch(follow the main battery cables, on each battery). Then as the above have said is appropiate.

Maxhead
19th October 2010, 10:15 PM
Whilst we are on this subject has anyone here got the calcium batteries by chance?
No, I haven't even heard of them till I googled:D

i suppose I should ask the obvious, Do you know what voltage your system is?
If yes, and you know it's 12V, then also look for a battery isolator switch(follow the main battery cables, on each battery). Then as the above have said is appropiate.
Good point, I think we all assumed it was 12v as he's local

Finly Owner
19th October 2010, 10:48 PM
What don't you have 24v down there?

HEHEHEHeeeeeeee

molongmick
25th October 2010, 05:26 PM
I probably went a bit overboard with my cabling. I put 4 gauge cable in from the main battery to the isolator, then 8 gauge from there to the rear of the patrol to run into the van. I will run 4 gauge from the isolator to the second battery when installed.

While on the topic, Does anyone know a good site on the WWW to but battery trays etc and other parts ofr the patrol?

Finly Owner
26th October 2010, 02:13 AM
ebay has battery trays

groundsplash
27th October 2010, 04:18 PM
thanks all who commented have traced the cables and discovered a battery isolator and strange looking socket like a mini cigarette lighter in the cargo area

AB
27th October 2010, 04:30 PM
Does it look like this?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:QBC6zswpWAZv8M:http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w338/DaMaine1/CigaretteLighterSocket.jpg

Finly Owner
28th October 2010, 12:05 AM
frige etc 12v power supply

groundsplash
17th November 2010, 03:23 PM
yep thats the one (sorry for not replying earlier was over in WA) whats does it do?

AB
17th November 2010, 04:26 PM
Like what Finley mentioned above It's a 12 volt plug which can run many things fridge, external lights, charge up batteries (phones, laptops, cameras, etc).

It won't run power tools, TV's etc.

Most likely the previous owner would have had a fridge in the back.