PDA

View Full Version : Did you know, I didn’t?

janderson
27th July 2012, 07:04 PM
SA Police have now confirmed that it is a legal
requirement nationwide and it’s the driver’s
responsibility to ensure compliance

Australian Design Rules and the Vehicle Standards Bulletin
govern Trailer design and Towbar design. While both are
very clear about minimum strength requirements for safety
chains, drawbars, towbars and towing hitches, there is no
mention of the humble shackle used to connect the safety
chain to the towbar. We’ve recently heard from reliable
sources that South Australian Police have been fining people
towing trailers for not using a rated shackle to connect the
trailer to the vehicle, and while it’s not a legal requirement in
any state as far as our research has revealed, it may be a case
of better safe than sorry, particularly if you’re planning to
travel through SA!
Tvans have a Gross Trailer Mass of 1500kgs, and a Topaz has
a GTM of 1990kgs, so make sure that when you buy rated
shackles you find ones with a maximum Safe Working Load
(SWL) or Working Load Limit (WLL) greater than the gross
weight of the trailer. Generally this will mean and 11mm
rated D shackle or Bow shackle for the Tvan and a 13mm
rated D shackle or bow shackle for the Topaz, but check the
SWL or WLL before making your purchase.
Rated shackles are available from most 4wd
stores, automotive stores, hardware stores, and
specialty lifting and rigging stores.
A great tip when installing your shackles is to attach a lanyard
to the pin and attach the other end to the trailer. This way,
if your pin works its way loose over corrugations, it won’t
just fall off and get lost. Don’t forget to do the same to the
shackle body too…
to ensure compliance.ure compliance.

threedogs
27th July 2012, 07:12 PM
Wouldn't trust my camper trailer, Jet ski, Boat what ever on a HARDWARE style shackles, too much to lose. You should always use rated equipment. Why risk a weak link for the sake of a few dollars.

to answer your question, no I didn't know that, thought it was common sense

growler2058
27th July 2012, 07:18 PM
Ahh S.A. the police state ;-)

boots
27th July 2012, 07:20 PM
X2 I agree

Silver
27th July 2012, 07:42 PM
I have seen some junk used on safety chains, including alloy Karabiners from the $2 shop.

This move also puts a question mark over the use of a padlock alone, instead of a shackle

Thanks for the heads up, and don't forget, if you have two chains, they are supposed to be crossed so as to cradle the hitch if it falls off.

megatexture
27th July 2012, 08:09 PM
mine came with one chain so i added a 2nd one to be sure but they both mount on the same location if i cross them over it just crosses at the mount makes no cradle lol

janderson
27th July 2012, 08:18 PM
its now all states

Silver
27th July 2012, 08:23 PM
mine came with one chain so i added a 2nd one to be sure but they both mount on the same location if i cross them over it just crosses at the mount makes no cradle lol

yep, the two chain cross over deal applies in WA to trailers over a certain weight, according to a mate of mine from there. Probably out of date now :-)

What is also interesting is what keeps a boat in place in the case of a head on, for instance. Not a lot, sometimes :-)

years ago, just Nth of the Pine Rivers Bridge in Brisvegas, we came across a 4 m boat sitting on the road............. then a fair bit further, a car straddling the boat trailer, which was still attached to the tow vehicle................. towies and the law were in attendance, so we didn't stop, but there must have been an interesting story there

megatexture
27th July 2012, 08:31 PM
like the one i saw today a Kesmac Forklift (truck mounted) that ran into the front of a house in miskin st indroopilly(brisbane) it looks like it let go from the back of the truck as it was driving up a hill and took off down the hill i drove past in total shock.

oncedisturbed
27th July 2012, 09:19 PM

LOL come to WA, in the rpocess of moving past police state to prison state

didn't have a clue this was the case but thought common knowledge / sense

Finly Owner
27th July 2012, 09:42 PM
A single chain is meant to attach to opposite side on towbar, creating a single chain cradle. And Qld "small trailer building" schedule states rated shackles to be used.

Tim

Clunk
27th July 2012, 10:18 PM
Never saw the use of chains on trailers and such like until I moved to Australia, wasn't a requirement in the UK before I left........ Maybe I'm being a bit naive here but if a caravan or trailer came off the towball, wouldn't there be a greater risk of pulling you off the road when tethered with chains? I don't have one but have always used the chains when towing trailers since living here.

taslucas
27th July 2012, 10:28 PM
Never saw the use of chains on trailers and such like until I moved to Australia, wasn't a requirement in the UK before I left........ Maybe I'm being a bit naive here but if a caravan or trailer came off the towball, wouldn't there be a greater risk of pulling you off the road when tethered with chains? I don't have one but have always used the chains when towing trailers since living here.

Its the risk of the trailer or caravan coming loose from the vehicle and crossing into oncoming traffic, pedestrians, houses, rolling back down the hill or just generally turnig into a heavy out of control projectile!

growler2058
27th July 2012, 10:36 PM

Thats the idea of crossing the chains to catch it so it doesnt nose dive into the road.
Got a mate that a few years back going down a steep rutted hill bounced boat and trailer off the ball and through the back windscreen. came close to one of his kids!!

Clunk
27th July 2012, 10:37 PM
Its the risk of the trailer or caravan coming loose from the vehicle and crossing into oncoming traffic, pedestrians, houses, rolling back down the hill or just generally turnig into a heavy out of control projectile!

I guess it must happen a lot more than I was aware of then. Specially in suburban and built up areas.

taslucas
27th July 2012, 10:38 PM
I guess it must happen a lot more than I was aware of then. Specially in suburban and built up areas.

Not if ya got a chain! lol

Clunk
27th July 2012, 10:57 PM
All good points gentlemen, never new about crossing the chains though. My father in law was told me his brother had a bad accident towing his caravan out on the open road, slipped off the ball, ended up flipping over, pulling his car over and rolled a couple of times and ended up in a field. Wrote bothe car and caravan off but was lucky to get away with a few cuts n bruises an a broken arm. Not sure what happened or if the chains were crossed or not....... That's why I was a little dubious about them.

How long have they been a requirement cover here?

growler2058
27th July 2012, 11:01 PM
Since Adam n Eve

growler2058
27th July 2012, 11:01 PM
I cant ever remember not seeing em. But not shackles used to just be a threaded bolt type set up

Clunk
27th July 2012, 11:04 PM
Since Adam n Eve

Who're they then, your neighbours!!!???

growler2058
27th July 2012, 11:08 PM
My Kids :-)

Finly Owner
27th July 2012, 11:34 PM
I myself have been a victim of rushing to put trailer on. Drive off, got down road a bit, slowed and hit a bump and felt a hit. Ahhhh sh#t the trailer! I hadn't locked the safety lock down. It came off landed on the crossed chains and hit my plastic bumper on the commodore. So I drove around the corner slowly knowing the trailer was going to follow. Pulled over in a safer spot and reconnected trailer, and went to do job I was heading to do.

Tim

janderson
28th July 2012, 06:06 PM
Australian Standard AS 4177.4-2004 ‘Caravan and light trailer towing components – Part 4: Safety chains up to 3500kg capacity’, or be a safety cable with a certified load capacity of the same
http://ozhitch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/adr62-02trailercouplings.pdf

Safety Chains
14.3.1.2. For trailers up to 3.5 tonnes ‘ATM’, the safety chain must comply with
AS 4177.4 - 2004 Safety chains up to 3500 kg capacity; or
14.3.1.2.1. be a safety cable with a certified load capacity not less than that of a
chain complying with AS 4177.4 - 2004.
14.3.1.3. For trailers over 3.5 tonnes ‘ATM’, the safety chain must be made from
steel of a minimum 800 MPa breaking stress, conform to the mechanical
properties of Grade T chain as specified in AS 2321 - 2001 Short Link
Chain for Lifting Purposes and must be of a size such that the minimum
breaking load exceeds the ‘ATM’

It would appear that both my Trailer (1999 model) and Campervan (1982model) don’t conform to these rules. The largest rated bow shackle that fits the chains on both trailers is 1.5Ton.

threedogs
28th July 2012, 06:36 PM
Recently had a trailer rego'ed from scratch, never asked a question about chains. only wanted receipts for the steel used. could of rego'ed a keg on pram wheels if I had receipts

I only used rated shackles cause its a safety thing

ghostrider_oz
28th July 2012, 07:04 PM
Interestingly I registered a trailer in Tassie approx 6 -8 months ago and did the right thing went an saw my local inspection site asked them what needed upgrading etc and so forth, go told that the rules hadn't changed in Tassie but the inspectors were now expected to ensure chains were rated so off came the old chains and on went $8.50 worth of rated chain.

Now I do not use a rated shackles at the moment (although they are good qualilty marine shackles not $2 shop ones) but I specifically asked the inspector and he said that it wasn't a requirement.

Although I have been meaning to buy a rated one - think I will now!!

Old Wal
1st August 2012, 06:26 PM
Just reading this thread. As others have said it is ( should be ) common sense.
Over here in good old VIC. it appears that anything goes ( not legally however ) , and I have seen all sorts of dodgy things. Should't underestimate the importance of safety chains - my older brother is a Paramedic &
he attended an " accident " where a trailer detached from a tow truck , crossed the median strip on a divided h'way and collided with an oncoming car, killing the driver.
I once had a 12 x 6 trailer come unhooked ( due to my carelessness - distracted by the neighbour ) , didn't check that all was well before driving off. FORTUNATELY I had attached the safety chains. Gives me the creeps just thinking about what could have happened. If my old man was alive he would still be kicking my backside.

itchyvet
15th September 2012, 07:28 PM
I cant ever remember not seeing em. But not shackles used to just be a threaded bolt type set up

Years ago with a HIRE trailer loaded with camping gear and car loaded with family, traveling the highwat at highway speed, hit a ditch running across road, car went beserk, felt like a giant had hold of the tow bar and was shaking it trying to roll the car, incredibly powerful, applying the brake only made things worse, allowed the car to roll out and come to a stop, checking found trailer had unhitched and the chains were the only thing holding things together, don't like to think what would have happened without the chains.
Turns out the hitch was faulty, and the Hire company went broke a month later, explained why the hitch was in such poor shape.
IMHO, NEVER disregard your chains OR the hitch, better yet, get a hitch that cant' disconnect.

The BigFella
15th September 2012, 09:40 PM
I do some awesome miles towing and have always demanded the use of rated shackles, rated tow ball and the best thing of all a hitch lock.
The hitch lock is that last peace of mind you get when you average 5000k's a week, even if I do have a mechanical failure I rest knowing the hitch lock keeps the whole thing connected.

HammerBuilder
11th October 2012, 07:55 PM
SA Police have now confirmed that it is a legal
requirement nationwide and it’s the driver’s
responsibility to ensure compliance

Australian Design Rules and the Vehicle Standards Bulletin
govern Trailer design and Towbar design. While both are
very clear about minimum strength requirements for safety
chains, drawbars, towbars and towing hitches, there is no
mention of the humble shackle used to connect the safety
chain to the towbar. We’ve recently heard from reliable
sources that South Australian Police have been fining people
towing trailers for not using a rated shackle to connect the
trailer to the vehicle, and while it’s not a legal requirement in
any state as far as our research has revealed, it may be a case
of better safe than sorry, particularly if you’re planning to
travel through SA!
Tvans have a Gross Trailer Mass of 1500kgs, and a Topaz has
a GTM of 1990kgs, so make sure that when you buy rated
shackles you find ones with a maximum Safe Working Load
(SWL) or Working Load Limit (WLL) greater than the gross
weight of the trailer. Generally this will mean and 11mm
rated D shackle or Bow shackle for the Tvan and a 13mm
rated D shackle or bow shackle for the Topaz, but check the
SWL or WLL before making your purchase.
Rated shackles are available from most 4wd
stores, automotive stores, hardware stores, and
specialty lifting and rigging stores.
A great tip when installing your shackles is to attach a lanyard
to the pin and attach the other end to the trailer. This way,
if your pin works its way loose over corrugations, it won’t
just fall off and get lost. Don’t forget to do the same to the
shackle body too…
to ensure compliance.ure compliance.

Did you also know that over 98% of trailers & caravans that are registered n sold in australia are not 100% built to all of the Aust Design Rules n Regs for as little as above to the other end of the chain is not permitted to be welded to chassis of trailer/caravan.
YOU ALL SHOULD CHECK THE FULL AUSTRALIAN DESIGN RULES N REGULATIONS BEFORE PURCHASING YOUR NEXT TRAILER/CAMPER & EVEN TAKE A COPY WITH YOU WHEN YOU ARE SHOPPING ROUND AS YOU WILL BE SURPRISED AS JUST HOW MANY NON-COMPLIANT VEHICLES ARE ON THE ROAD TODAY & ITS THE PURCHASERS RESPONSIBILTY NOT THE MANUFACTURER AT FAULT IF IT ALL TURNS PAIR SHAPED DUE TO THE CURRENT LAWS & REGS. ONCE THE INSURANCE COMPANIES REALISES THIS IT WILL BE A FREE TICKET FOR THEM TO NOT PAY OUT IN A TIME FOR A CLAIM.
FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY & PIECE OF MIND DON'T BUY IMPORTED EITHER UNLESS YOU TICK ALL THE AUS DES RULES BOXES WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB N DON'T BE BULLIED INTO PAYING A DEPOSIT ON ANYTHING TILL YOU DO YOUR FULL HOMEWORK.
CHEERS N HOPE THIS WILL HELP ALL SOMEHOW 1 DAY.

outback
9th January 2013, 02:52 AM
HamerBuilder
You made this point: "Did you also know that over 98% of trailers & caravans that are registered n sold in australia are not 100% built to all of the Aust Design Rules n Regs for as little as above to the other end of the chain is not permitted to be welded to chassis of trailer/caravan"

Not objection nor questioning it but do you have a specific reference to this point. I ask as my new van has the chains welded to the draw bar. If this is non compliant it needs to be fixed. Van is new, 3 months, so manufacturer can do with appropriate persuasion. Also I notice that at many "leisurefest" etc meetings/sales things selling vans most have the chain welded.

threedogs
25th February 2015, 08:57 AM
It may be AS standard to use a rated shackle for you trailer/camper but just talking to the laser cutter.
He thought it was LAW and the 2 shops he went to to buy some shackles both asked if he'd been pinged.?
He said no but curious he rang the RACV and they never heard about it,as I said earlier I like my gear so only used rated shackles.
The LC believes it was started on Face ache and spread [chinese whispers].
can anybody show that its LAW not AS to use rated shackles, mad if you dont IMO..
Then the question of chain used ,who welded it, etc, etc,Again never knew chain couldn't welded.
would need to see it in LAW not AS.

Winnie
25th February 2015, 09:22 AM
Nice thread dig 3dogs.
So are you saying that I shouldn't use hiking carabinas?

threedogs
25th February 2015, 09:47 AM
I just want to know whats legal by LAW, all this thread says is Aust standard.
As I said it came up at the Laser Cutters this morning

Winnie
25th February 2015, 10:05 AM
Yeah I'm not sure it is law... you're right this little thing did start on facebook so odds are it's not right haha

Clunk
25th February 2015, 10:06 AM
Google it.....

Cuppa
25th February 2015, 10:13 AM
A quick google reveals all the stuff about legal requirements for rated shackles for towing to be a social media myth.

http://withoutahitch.com.au/trailer/rated-d-shackle-requirements/

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/townsville/2014/08/08/myth-changes-requirements-shackles-used-towing-trailer/

http://www.goseeaustralia.com.au/article/901/National_rules_short_on_specifics_but_South_Austra lian_police_urge_rated_shackles_for_towing_safety/

BigRAWesty
25th February 2015, 10:41 AM
My brother is a cop and chased up the latest ebay page about qld drives coping the paper work for not using rated shackles.

To the best of his ability to dig he found (and his super confirmed) that rated shackles are not a required item by law.

However.
If pulled over the copper is well within his rights to defect you if he believes the items are not up to the task. As with any bit of the car.

So. As far as we have dug it's not a legal requirement but you'd be silly not to.

threedogs
25th February 2015, 11:28 AM
Thanks Kallen totally agree why risk your pride and joy with junk hardware or even Marine which would only be Stainless.
BUY properly rated shackles that suit the weight you are towing. or if you only have a bolt change it for a graded bolt, and zinc plated.
Chain on my camper has 50mm long links maybe bigger but crossed under the towbar with rated shackles its not going anywhere,
especially with the O'Brien coupling

Just read the GoSee link by Cuppa. sounds strange as when I went to get my trailer rego'ed
all they wanted was a current weigh bridge ticket,and receipts for all material used.
Not once was I asked what chain or shackles were used, they didnt even want to see it.
If I go and get some stamped chain I wouldn't be able to get a shackle big enough to cover the
camper weight.
I bet most caravans and camper trailers would fail the AS set, but who cares seems nobody
$40,000 CT and a $2 shackle =

Does every one here use rated shackles????

the evil twin
25th February 2015, 12:09 PM
I do, mainly because they are cheap insurance.

Don't forget tho that Shackles are rated against a standard for lifting etc and depending on grade will have a design factor of between 4 and 7 times breaking strain.

What that means is the AS cannot be directly applied to the use of the shackles for towing applications
IE there would need to be another legislation that links Rated Shackles (and chain for that matter) to ADR's or Traffic Acts in the various states.

Bottom line of that is if the breaking strain (not WLL) of the shackle exceeds the load all is tickety boo and the shackle is fit for purpose.

threedogs
25th February 2015, 12:16 PM
and say so all of us, it hard convincing ppl that the SWL and WLL do no apply to towing.
But thats been done here before.
Main thing is you buy the best you can to cover your pride and joy,
It would tick me off big time if insurance knocked you back for a $2 shackle,[buy rated please]

Bigcol
25th February 2015, 12:54 PM
one other thing to consider

I have a Van 2200Kgs loaded
I have 2 chains
I have 2 Bow Shackles
BOTH Bow Shackles are rated at 1.5t each

combined max for BOTH shackles is 3t - well under my loaded weight - legal...........

the individual shackle - either D or Bow does NOT have to be greater than the Mass being Towed - but combined (unless you only have 1 chain)

a 3t rated Bow Shackle is rather large, and wont fit the chains anyway............

BigRAWesty
25th February 2015, 01:38 PM
one other thing to consider I have a Van 2200Kgs loaded I have 2 chains I have 2 Bow Shackles BOTH Bow Shackles are rated at 1.5t each combined max for BOTH shackles is 3t - well under my loaded weight - legal........... the individual shackle - either D or Bow does NOT have to be greater than the Mass being Towed - but combined (unless you only have 1 chain) a 3t rated Bow Shackle is rather large, and wont fit the chains anyway............

Yea a 3.7t shackle is getting quite large.

the evil twin
25th February 2015, 01:44 PM
Yea a 3.7t shackle is getting quite large.

I had a student once who was adamant that an 8,000 Kg snatch strap meant that you needed a minimum 8 ton rating on the shackles shackles.

I said 'I like your logic but there is one small issue' and showed him one

janderson
25th February 2015, 03:23 PM
Thanks Kallen totally agree why risk your pride and joy with junk hardware or even Marine which would only be Stainless.
BUY properly rated shackles that suit the weight you are towing. or if you only have a bolt change it for a graded bolt, and zinc plated.
Chain on my camper has 50mm long links maybe bigger but crossed under the towbar with rated shackles its not going anywhere,
especially with the O'Brien coupling

Just read the GoSee link by Cuppa. sounds strange as when I went to get my trailer rego'ed
all they wanted was a current weigh bridge ticket,and receipts for all material used.
Not once was I asked what chain or shackles were used, they didnt even want to see it.
If I go and get some stamped chain I wouldn't be able to get a shackle big enough to cover the
camper weight.
I bet most caravans and camper trailers would fail the AS set, but who cares seems nobody
$40,000 CT and a $2 shackle =

Does every one here use rated shackles????55444

This is whats recommended in QLD.

I just set this up to make it easier to hook up. 3500kg rated. Chains on camper were to short anyway.