PDA

View Full Version : Hard to shift into second gear on start up!

slatz_73
25th July 2012, 09:50 PM
I have a 4.2ltr TD GuIII patrol, first thing in the morning it's hard work to get her into 2nd gear without double shuffling. When she warms up she's not to bad. I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on why I'm having the problem. I don't know whether it's something relating to the clutch or whether it is a gearbox problem.

Cheers, Slatz_73

Silver
25th July 2012, 10:14 PM
cold weather and gear box oil becoming thicker as a result - at least that's what happens to Silver. May or may not reflect underlying wear in the gear box, but usually responds to change in oil viscosity. Do you know if what is in the box is the oil recommended for your climate?

slatz_73
25th July 2012, 10:37 PM
G'day Silver,
unsure what the oil viscosity is, I live in Sydney. I had the oil changed by my mechanic who owns the same model patrol ('04 model). I have been thinking about buying the oil from Nissan and giving it a go. I've owned the truck now for 4 years and she has 300,000km's on her. The previous owner was a sales rep and did highway miles and had her regularly serviced sounds like a cliche, but I knew his mechanic. I'll start with the oil and see how I get on. Cheers.

Silver
25th July 2012, 10:44 PM
Ask your mech for his advice? He would know what oil he used at a minimum, and may have a suggestion for now?

Armed with that info you'll probably get some more tips on here.

The manual - including the one that came in the glove box, will have a chart that says what to use when the vehicle is new. Where to go from there with various ks is the art I guess.

davo94
26th July 2012, 07:09 AM
Put the recommended oil in it. I have a slightly higher than standard grade in mine and it's the same. Was fine before I fitter the new oil.

honest271
26th July 2012, 05:06 PM
Try semi synthetic Penrite i had it put in mine and changing gears no worries 375k on the clock.
cheers honest

Ben-e-boy
26th July 2012, 05:23 PM
you have the wrong oil. you need a friction modified oil, castrol vmx 80, has the friction modified addative

Tank
26th July 2012, 05:53 PM
Its a common problem over here with colder weather so we run a slightly finer oil 75w

johno90
26th July 2012, 05:56 PM
If its pretty bad you can always use auto oil in it. 90% of new 4x4 come with auto oil in there manuals as it can give a really smooth shift.

Gilbert
27th July 2012, 05:57 AM
I had a similar problem and went to a fully synthetic gear oil. It helped a lot and made for smoother shifting all around. I never thought that using a synthetic would make such a difference but it did on my machine.