PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild 1981 mq patrol begins!

grey ghost
25th July 2012, 08:31 PM
Hi all, its been a month or so since ive been on here. We have been working on the "Grey Ghost" engine to get her back on the road, and im pleased to say shes running better than ever before! some of the changes made where: two new inline fuel filters plus all new fuel lines,new plugs, replaced key barrel ,new distributor cap and new points, rebuilt and cleaned carbi and mucked around with timing!Not bad for someone who knows nothing about engines! so the next thing is to start replacing the rusted and poorly bogged body!see attached pics. Im going to be up for two doors a bonnet a back tail gate and some cut and weld plates for the roof arms and above the left side rear wheel where someone has bogged and its starting to fall out ! anyway take a look and WISH ME LUCK!
Cheers
gg

MQ MAD
26th July 2012, 09:49 AM
Looks good for a base
Ive got a good shorty roof here,doin nothin but taking up space,you come get it its yours

Finly Owner
28th July 2012, 12:21 AM
I have A SET OF SHORTY SPRINGS i BELIEVE TO BE 2" LIFTED LEAFS IF YOU'RE INTERESTED.

Tim

aussiemale
30th July 2012, 05:44 PM
Have a strange feeling that GG will finish his project well before me LOL. Keep the pics coming mate

grey ghost
1st August 2012, 06:07 PM
hi Mq Mad thanks for the offer! but my mate thats helping me said we should be good with what we have .Cheers GG.

MQ MAD
2nd August 2012, 10:06 AM
hi Mq Mad thanks for the offer! but my mate thats helping me said we should be good with what we have .Cheers GG.

Thats cool, just hate to see stuff being chucked out ....

Are you a northside or southside brissie lad ???

White Elephant
2nd August 2012, 01:12 PM
Good stuff, I love seeing the old buses get a new lease on life!

grey ghost
2nd August 2012, 06:14 PM
In Capalaba area . Do you know any wreckers that have some mq/mks ? really struggling to find parts / panels anywhere! did a quick call around today but nun of the 4x4 wreckers have any in the yards. discovered today the front left shocky has broken & detached & the main steering arm is bent (seems to be common i think as its unprotected) so im on the hunt for these this weekend. Repco quoted me $290 for two new front end shocks. going to have to be cheap and get some out of a wreck ...........if i can find one! what other models where compatible with the mq as far as panels go?

grey ghost
2nd August 2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the offer Tim but the Ghost has them already fitted

GQ TANK
2nd August 2012, 07:51 PM
Try bursons and supercheap

MQ MAD
3rd August 2012, 09:58 AM
In Capalaba area . Do you know any wreckers that have some mq/mks ? really struggling to find parts / panels anywhere! did a quick call around today but nun of the 4x4 wreckers have any in the yards. discovered today the front left shocky has broken & detached & the main steering arm is bent (seems to be common i think as its unprotected) so im on the hunt for these this weekend. Repco quoted me $290 for two new front end shocks. going to have to be cheap and get some out of a wreck ...........if i can find one! what other models where compatible with the mq as far as panels go?

Get onto Finly Owner (TIM) he is down your neck of the woods, if he cant help ive got heaps of stuff out here
Do a google for my location ,ill be northside brissie bound next week if thatll help ya

grey ghost
4th August 2012, 09:47 AM
gotta give a huge thumbs up to the boys at Boss Wreckers ! spent Friday afternoon stripping an 85 MQ and ended up with...........four wheel flares, driver door, driver front panel, 2x front end shockies and two checker plate running steps for the bargain basement price of $380!!!!! :Yahoo!:
So Sundays looking like MQ fitting, V8 racing, BBQ, some cold beers and good mates!

grey ghost
7th August 2012, 03:46 PM
The Result of a good day and plenty of beer:beer:

Finly Owner
11th August 2012, 12:22 AM
I have a set of 5 32"x15" Muddies on Rims at least 85% tread on main 4 tyres. If interested. They are located at alexandra hills/mt cotton. The boys who have seen them can vouch for them.

I'm asking $500 for the five.

Tim

Finly Owner
11th August 2012, 12:27 AM
I also have a rust free tailgate, good grille MK, other rims and tyres, and odds and ends.

Also if I can't help, try Bega Rd Wreckers at Kingston. He gets MQ/MKs in.

Tim

grey ghost
12th August 2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks Tim, definitely interested in the set of muddies . just working hard atm to earn more $$$s to keep the rebuild going . ill be in touch !

grey ghost
7th September 2012, 04:26 PM
well .......the rebuilds been put on hold until i find a dizzy for the ghost as shes back firing and missing badly!coil and point and spark has all been checked/replaced .:frown:

threedogs
7th September 2012, 04:34 PM
Been reading your other thread as well, is there anything you may have missed when you changed all this stuff.

Do FRP have fibreglass panels to suit your model??

MQ MAD
8th September 2012, 10:46 AM
Do FRP have fibreglass panels to suit your model??
FRP do the aftermarket flares for these, and oh my you need a 2nd mortgage just for them, hate to know what glass guards and panels would be