PDA

View Full Version : Your Mod's in need of help.

patch697
17th October 2010, 04:46 PM
Ok you blokes your Super Mod's in need of help.

The Mav has just started over charging so im guessing the reg in the alternator has crapped itself.

The charge will increase & decrease with the engine revs.

So my question is whats the best course of action????

Just get a new/second hand replacement or fix the one I have???

Not worked on this type of alternator before but im no dummy so if its worth it im happy to pull it down & fix it.

If anyone have a good s/h alternator to suit a 90mod TB42 thay want to part with please PM me.

Im still down in melb S/E berbs & will be for a while & im happy to pick up local to this aria.

If not I can get it posted no probs.

Any help please guys as I cant be without the Mav, it like chopping off my legs.

Cheers
Paul

YNOT
17th October 2010, 04:53 PM
I'd be getting either new or rebuilt alternator. Getting second hand could fail at any time.

Tony

patch697
17th October 2010, 05:28 PM
I'd be getting either new or rebuilt alternator. Getting second hand could fail at any time.

Tony

Yeah but moneys tight Tony so i'd settle for a good S/H one for now.

Do you know anything about these types of alternators ie. can I change the internal reg or are thay a throw away?

NissanGQ4.2
17th October 2010, 06:00 PM
Agree with Tony, New or Rebuilt.. as Tony said...........second hand could fail at any time.......

YNOT
17th October 2010, 06:23 PM
Shoot Big_Fletch a PM, he's in his final year as an auto sparky apprentice. I've only ever diagnosed alternators then let the sparky's sort it out from there.

Tony

big_fletch
17th October 2010, 06:36 PM
When you say the alt is not charging has the battery light come on (on the dash) or been flickering?

Sorry only just re-read what you wrote haha.. If the reg has failed which it sounds like it probably has there are a few different options.. I will get back to you shortly on what rough prices are on a new vs rebuild for parts?

big_fletch
17th October 2010, 07:05 PM
These are only rough prices so not exact however a new alt will be around the $300 mark. To repair yours adding in reg and bearings hoping everything else is ok you would be looking roughly the same.. However that is prices up here in shepparton so i would drop in to a local auto sparky and get some rough quotes off them.

patch697
17th October 2010, 07:13 PM
These are only rough prices so not exact however a new alt will be around the $300 mark. To repair yours adding in reg and bearings hoping everything else is ok you would be looking roughly the same.. However that is prices up here in shepparton so i would drop in to a local auto sparky and get some rough quotes off them.

I'll be on the job tomorrow you can count on that,,,,,,,,,, Thanks for all your research on this im pretty stuck without the Mav so I need it back on the road asap.

Cheers
Paul

big_fletch
17th October 2010, 07:22 PM
no worries anytime, hope you work something out :bigthumbup:

Woof
17th October 2010, 07:51 PM
Hey Pauly, I had to replace mine in May this year, got the model that puts out more volty things (don't know much about this sort of stuff) and it cost me $570 which included the $120 for labour.:(:frown:
Had to get it done immediately as it is my daily drive.

Finly Owner
17th October 2010, 10:50 PM
Paul finally, I can help you, My alternator(hitachi) that I replaced recently(remember), cost me $380.00 retail. If you have anyone who has an account at Ashdown & Ingram, you can get it through them even cheaper. Wish I had known they did them, I saved heaps with the discount we are on.

patch697
18th October 2010, 05:16 AM
Paul finally, I can help you, My alternator(hitachi) that I replaced recently(remember), cost me $380.00 retail. If you have anyone who has an account at Ashdown & Ingram, you can get it through them even cheaper. Wish I had known they did them, I saved heaps with the discount we are on.

PM sent Tim..............

Cheers
Paul

AB
18th October 2010, 01:05 PM
Hey Mod, is this post under the correct category???:bananarock::bananarock::bananarock::ba nanarock:

patch697
18th October 2010, 01:22 PM
Hey Mod, is this post under the correct category???:bananarock::bananarock::bananarock::ba nanarock:

No not really but I needed it to get as much attention as possible & once I get it sorted Doggy can move it for me.........lololololololol

AB
18th October 2010, 01:34 PM
tis tis....Abusing the power like that mate, what kind of example are you giving to the fine ladies and gents on this forum?

Before you know it we will have posts scattered all over the place in a mess.

Doggy, have i taught you how to set infractions on people yet....lol

patch697
18th October 2010, 03:11 PM
tis tis....Abusing the power like that mate, what kind of example are you giving to the fine ladies and gents on this forum?

Ouch AB that hurt.................... & he's my Doggy not yours so go get your own Pitbull...............lolololololololololol

P.s. I think its time you had your signature added to..................lololololololol

Woof
18th October 2010, 06:43 PM

AB, don't worry mate Doggy is always on guard............grrrr grrrr:1062:

Woof
18th October 2010, 06:47 PM
Ouch AB that hurt.................... & he's my Doggy not yours so go get your own Pitbull...............lolololololololololol

P.s. I think its time you had your signature added to..................lololololololol

Pauly this Doggy has no master mate..................well unless you have some Schmackos with Sour Cream and Sweet Chilli Sauce, then I'm anyone's (maybe should have worded that a bit different:confused:)

patch697
18th October 2010, 09:29 PM
Pauly this Doggy has no master mate..................well unless you have some Schmackos with Sour Cream and Sweet Chilli Sauce, then I'm anyone's (maybe should have worded that a bit different:confused:)

LOLOLOL.........Not only do I have all that Doggy but I'll even had feed you, if your not the type of dog that bites the hand that feeds you that is.................lolololol

Woof
18th October 2010, 09:31 PM
LOLOLOL.........Not only do I have all that Doggy but I'll even had feed you, if your not the type of dog that bites the hand that feeds you that is.................lolololol

Gotta love this forum, and the people on it, never a dull moment:cool::cool::cool::cool:

patch697
18th October 2010, 09:34 PM
Gotta love this forum, and the people on it, never a dull moment:cool::cool::cool::cool:

LOLOL............. I see your feeling the love mate.........lololol

patch697
19th October 2010, 12:19 PM
Well will this redeem me AB????.......... I have moved my thread into the right section.......lolol

AB
19th October 2010, 01:09 PM
Better late than never I guess big guy!.....lol

Finly Owner
19th October 2010, 10:31 PM
hmmmmmm.............shut up Tim.

LOL

Mrowka
19th October 2010, 11:34 PM

Um, that's called a "cat," sir.

Woof
19th October 2010, 11:45 PM
Yeah nice one Mrowka, you will keep mate...........GRRR..........GRRR:cheers:

patch697
20th October 2010, 10:25 AM
hmmmmmm.............shut up Tim.

LOL

LOLOLOLOLOL...........Probably for the best.......HAHAHAHAHAHAH

patch697
20th October 2010, 10:26 AM
Um, that's called a "cat," sir.

LOL.............................. Brave man............hahahaha

patch697
20th October 2010, 10:27 AM
Yeah nice one Mrowka, you will keep mate...........GRRR..........GRRR:cheers:

lololol.............Watch him Doggy.....................lolololol

patch697
20th October 2010, 10:28 AM
Better late than never I guess big guy!.....lol

LOLOLOLOL..........Far be it for me to be the weak link in the chain BOSS............hahahaha

patch697
6th November 2010, 07:15 PM
Ok here's an update on what I found out when going for a Bosch over a Hitachi alternator.

Keeping in mid we are talking about a 1990 GQ tb42s here........The alternator I found that fits (bolts right in) without any mods to brackets is a VL/skyline type.

The only changes needed is the pulley & the 2 wire plug. Now I got a reco one for $160 & the auto elec changed the pulley & supplied the new plug all for the same price & all that was left for me to do was fit it & put a new eyelet on the charge wire & hook up the 2 wires that comes from the new plug which I will explain to anyone who's interested.

The main point here is you do not have to spend $450+ to get a good high amp alternator back on your Patrol as I found out.

YNOT
6th November 2010, 08:06 PM
I've been meaning to ask how you got on with this. What is the amp output of a standard VL/Skyline alternator, and for future reference could you explain when the 2 wires go please?

Tony

Finly Owner
6th November 2010, 09:31 PM
Can I guess? One is the tell tail light and 1 is the (how did they explain to me?) the initiator wire?

Am I right Paul?

patch697
6th November 2010, 09:56 PM
I've been meaning to ask how you got on with this. What is the amp output of a standard VL/Skyline alternator, and for future reference could you explain when the 2 wires go please?

Tony

Thay come in 70A & 80A depends on what car thay came in.

The 2 wires are pretty strait forward. one is a 12v & the other is the in dash light, now to hook them up all you need do is test the 2 wires (with the ignition off) that are in the plug that come out of the factory alternator & find the live wire: this go's to the wire thats marked with an "S" you will find this on the regulator itself of the Bosch alternator then just hook the remanding wire up to the other side (marked with an "L") & your done.

real simple stuff.

A little tip I went to a wreckers to find the right alternator for the job & right in front of the battery on a skyline in the loom there is a plug (male & female) that matches the factory alternator plug on our Patrol's. I used this to make an adapter plug for the new (VL/ Skyline) alternator so its all plug & play & if you wish to put a factory one back in you will not need to change a thing.

( I have also seen the above mentioned plug in the engine bays of VT commodores as well if it helps in finding one.)

I hope this helps those out to do the same.

Cheers
Paul