PDA

View Full Version : GQ Gearbox question

poltac
22nd July 2012, 04:52 PM
Hi guys lost 3rd gear in my box pulled box out and found clutch pack burnt out was wondering is any later model box's will fit
it is 1992 4.2efi wagon
thanks

NissanGQ4.2
22nd July 2012, 05:07 PM
Not sure mate, why do you want 2 put it a later models boxes clutch pack in anyway???

Where about's are you located???

Cheers

Todd

poltac
22nd July 2012, 06:21 PM
Hi Todd got offered 2 later model box's i think gu auto's
just thought i could save time by putting in a complete box
i'm in perth

NissanGQ4.2
23rd July 2012, 04:11 PM
If the boxes are the same as yours which should be a RE4R03A, I can't see why not. There should be a tag located on the gearbox with the model number.

But do you know the history of the boxes you have been offered? Not much point putting in a second hand box only for it fail a week later.

While you have it out and if money permits I would be putting a rebuilt kit through it, not just the clutch pack.

Wholesale Automatic Transmissions in Vic are good, if you read the first post in my gearbox rebuilt thread there will be contact details for them if your interested.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5942-RE4R03A-Gearbox-Rebuild

Cheers

Todd

poltac
23rd July 2012, 07:51 PM
Contacted them
Exchange gearbox $2880 plus freight $185 each way
Rebuild kit $1200 plus convertor

Got offered a box out of GU for $800 done 150,000kms with warranty or
one from GQ been rolled for $200 I remove it

$2880 maybe a good box but hard to justify on a old patrol which has done 330,000 kms
nearly by another patrol for that price

NissanGQ4.2
23rd July 2012, 08:38 PM
Don't think the GU one will fit, If your not looking at spending money, go the one out of the GQ, still now guarantee it works or won't fail a week down the track.

If your looking a keeping the GQ, You might want to rebuild your one when you have time and money permits, and then flog back off the s/hand one

waflyer
24th July 2012, 07:53 PM
Hi mate,

I'm in Perth as well and just finishing off a rebuild of an RE4R03A myself, as I couldn't justify an exchange box at that price either, especially given I didn't pay a lot for the Patrol in the first place.

I got quoted by Wholesale Automatics for a friction kit, seal kit, pump bush and band at about $660 I think (can check?). However, I ended up going to Driveline AP in Osborne Park. They do all the standard parts off the shelf and beat Wholesale Automatics by $60. The reason being that they supply Wholesale Automatics anyway! The manager Brian is a top guy so if you feel brave you can get the parts from him. Perhaps Wholesale Automatics have quoted for a full set of steels on top as well. I found I only needed to replace the reverse steels so I saved a wad there.

Just around the corner from Driveline AP is Perth Torque Converters who are reco'ing mine for $480, which is about $85 more than Wholesale Automatics but means no freight charges.

My box should be going back in this weekend all being well. I have been documenting the rebuild (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12897-Patrol-GQ-Auto-RE4R03A-Missing-Gears-Diagnosis-and-Repair) and will be updating the thread soon all being well. I wouldn't say it is a hard job to rebuild one so far but it takes lots of time!!!!

All up I reckon it will stand me at about $1300 to fully reco which (if it works) will be a hell of a saving, so worth keeping in mind if you don't mind swinging the spanners for a few evenings....

Sam

P.S. If you don't fancy the rebuild yourself and end up with a replacement leaving the old knackered box going spare I will have it off you if you wan't it gone....

poltac
25th July 2012, 08:14 PM
thanks waflyer waiting on a call back about the gq box will give driveline AP a call
if i go with another box you are welcome to the old one it looks like a clutch pack has worn/failed only removed valve body and it looks like the frictions in one of the clutch packs has worn
might pull it apart on the weekend and check
Thanks

waflyer
26th July 2012, 02:29 PM
might pull it apart on the weekend and check
Thanks

If you want to pull it apart to check the frictions you will need a clutch spring compressor. I have one you can borrow if you like.

However, if you do strip it down I would strongly suggest bagging and labelling all parts in order as you take them off. It makes reassembly much easier (learn't this the hard way before - don't take offence if you think I am telling you how to suck eggs! :tongue:)!

NissanGQ4.2
26th July 2012, 04:15 PM
If you want to pull it apart to check the frictions you will need a clutch spring compressor. I have one you can borrow if you like.

However, if you do strip it down I would strongly suggest bagging and labelling all parts in order as you take them off. It makes reassembly much easier (learn't this the hard way before - don't take offence if you think I am telling you how to suck eggs! :tongue:)!

You don't need a spring compressor, you can make one up yourself, but in saying that a bought spring compressor would of made my gearbox rebuild a whole lot easier.

Now you tell me I should of bagged and tagged all the parts!!!!

If you do it yourself I will suggest you also measure the springs and write down what clutch pack it came out of just in case you get things missed up, my springs didn't match the manuals specs and a lot of guess work was involved!!!

poltac
27th July 2012, 08:31 PM
how different are the diesels to the petrols in the gq

NissanGQ4.2
28th July 2012, 05:07 PM
how different are the diesels to the petrols in the gq

You might want post this question up in a new thread