PDA

View Full Version : Smoke, what is normal?

molongmick
16th October 2010, 08:38 PM
I just did a short trip to Mt Canobolas to have a look at the snow with kids, which they enjoyed, but when reversing up a slight decline, I noticed that the patrol would blow smoke upon acceleration.

The engine/patrol has only done 2000km and was not doing anything silly. Checked the smoke it was black.

I assume that this is due to excess fuel/unburnt fuel. Is this an easy issue to resolve and should be I be overly concerned?

The engine blows smoke under acceleration in normal situations, and while stationary.

Michael

YNOT
16th October 2010, 11:03 PM
Black smoke is unburnt fuel, and a small amount is normal especially on initial acceleration, but what you have described sounds a bit excessive to me. It may be something as simple as the fuel you are currently using. Fuel companies supply a winter blend diesel to cold climate areas during winter (obviously), but with the unseasonal cold snap we're having at the moment you may be running on a regular blend that is not suited to the cold. I may be completely wrong but it's something to consider.
With your Patrol being so new I would be taking it back to your Nissan dealer and getting them to check it out.

Tony

molongmick
17th October 2010, 12:19 AM
Cheers for that Tony, I thought of the fuel, but had just filled up with winterblend fuel in Orange, There was a sign on the pump, winter Vortex, bought the diesel from a caltex outlet.

Will have a chat to the Nissan dealer when I go into town next.

Cheers Mick

OVER.THE.HILL
18th October 2010, 08:50 PM
hi molongmick,
im in the orange area to ,and noticed when that cold snap hit, my patrol was blowing a bit of smoke on starting when cold.
ok when it warmed up.
i use bp diesel its cleaner.
Kables BP servo up peisley street orange.
roy.

molongmick
18th October 2010, 09:34 PM
hi molongmick,
im in the orange area to ,and noticed when that cold snap hit, my patrol was blowing a bit of smoke on starting when cold.
ok when it warmed up.
i use bp diesel its cleaner.
Kables BP servo up peisley street orange.
roy.
Cheers for that Roy, Will try BP next time i'm due to fill up.
Went up to the nissan dealer, asked them, their reply was to wait until the 10 000km mark to see what it is doing then. It's not a major concern as I lknow diesels do blow some smoke, but the Rodeo I had before blew hardly anything.

I will keep an Eye on the smoke and see if it gets worse or improves.

Cheers Mick

tariadamar
27th October 2010, 06:01 PM
it may be just letting in a little to much fuel at super low revs when the turbo isn't forcing the air in. if that makes cents. like the fuel to air mixture is way to high untill the turbo winds up abit and leves out the ratio to proper running.

molongmick
27th October 2010, 07:11 PM
Talked to a few mechanics and they have said the same thing. It doesn't appear to blow smoke while the engine is reving higher, as when driving, so it makes sense. Time will tell I suppose.

tariadamar
27th October 2010, 09:24 PM
yeah well i asked a mechanic. so it does make sense.

the ferret
28th October 2010, 12:56 AM
It shouldn't blow smoke at it's age, it's over fueling, most likely requires pump adjustment at your Nissan dealer.

macca1
28th October 2010, 11:25 AM
Hi Michael,
I assume that being in the snow would be at some altitude therefore air would be thin, not sure if GU3.0 has altitude compensation built in but I would ask the question at Nissan :1087:

Cheers Macca