PDA

View Full Version : Any comments on 235/85/16 size on GQ?

monty
20th July 2012, 09:31 PM
Hi
Replacing split-rims on 4.2 diesel GQ. Without extending guards I have been told I can put on (obviously new wheels) 235/85/R16. A mate has told me that this isn't a good option and I should extend guards and get 6-8" rims. If I do trips like Birdsville Track, Simpson etc are skinnies OK? Anybody got first hand experience running this size in this type of country?
Secondly, any comments on tyres for this country driving on 235s? Regardless of size I'm thinking BFG or Cooper. Maybe Pirelli or Michelin if available???? Most likely All Terrain type tread patterns.
Really need help setting my mind.

nissannewby
20th July 2012, 09:39 PM
I would go to a 265/70. Not sure what the range is like for the 235/85 but the 265's are a dime a dozen and are around the factory size for the GQ. You wont have to extend guards with a 7" rim and 265's

healy
20th July 2012, 09:41 PM
Go a 31x10.5 on a 15x8" rim -22 off set is my opinion that's what I've got now they are just over the guards

Petit caillou
21st July 2012, 12:14 AM
Hi,

I use 235/85/16 INSA TURBO on my GQ SWB, They make a very good job ? im very happy to use them, unfortunatly it's not interesting on th road but very good for the mud.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6171/s6000302b.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/s6000302b.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Regards
Pierre

GRA.GU
22nd July 2012, 06:49 PM
Gooday Monty, I've run 235x85x16 tyres on both my current GU and on my old Troopy, and done plenty of desert and tough tracks. They'll go anywhere you want, and you get the added benefits.
1. They are lighter than most larger wheel/tyre combinations to the extent that I can take 6 wheels for about the same weight or less than 5 of my mates oversize ones.
2. They are cheaper than bigger tyres.
3. They are a favourite size on work vehicles in the outback [not to mention military vehicles] and therefore are easily obtainable.
Unless you are prepared to go to a very much bigger tyre it is my opinion you'll get none of the flotation benefits in practice that are often claimed by people making assumptions based on the tyres width. Adjust your tyre pressures and you'll match any tyre, within reason, on sand. The only advantage a wider tyre has is on sealed roads where the lower aspect ratio leads to less squirming in fast cornering, and also more rubber contact for perhaps better braking.
I've usually run BFG ATs which, with their fairly sharp shoulder give good turn in on dirt corners. They also have stronger sidewall s than many of their competitors, and so you have less trouble with punctures when touring. However, tyre brands are controversial as you know. Having said that, I have seen good early reviews of the new Cooper Maxx.
Although oversize ones are fashionable, there is no practical improvement in offroad performance, unless you are prepared to go to a much larger diameter and put up with the gearing, cost, weight , steering geometry and other disadvantages so created,
For some further reading on the subject Monty, have a look at this;
http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html
Cheers,
Graeme.

monty
23rd July 2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks Graeme (and everyone else who replied). Whatever I do it has to be better than split-rim 750R16. Really bad vibration at 95kph regardless of how often I get things balanced, rotated and alignment. looking forward to a better ride, more tyre options etc. and better mileage from rubber. I've often taken two spares (i.e. one in back) and even this size takes quite a bit of space. One plus for splits is they are very easy to repair in the bush if you take care.
Just a quick one; does anyone think the 95k vibration is the splits/tyres or something else like worn joints?
cheers

MudRunnerTD
23rd July 2012, 09:44 PM
Gooday Monty, I've run 235x85x16 tyres on both my current GU and on my old Troopy, and done plenty of desert and tough tracks. They'll go anywhere you want, and you get the added benefits.
1. They are lighter than most larger wheel/tyre combinations to the extent that I can take 6 wheels for about the same weight or less than 5 of my mates oversize ones.
2. They are cheaper than bigger tyres.
3. They are a favourite size on work vehicles in the outback [not to mention military vehicles] and therefore are easily obtainable.
Unless you are prepared to go to a very much bigger tyre it is my opinion you'll get none of the flotation benefits in practice that are often claimed by people making assumptions based on the tyres width. Adjust your tyre pressures and you'll match any tyre, within reason, on sand. The only advantage a wider tyre has is on sealed roads where the lower aspect ratio leads to less squirming in fast cornering, and also more rubber contact for perhaps better braking.
I've usually run BFG ATs which, with their fairly sharp shoulder give good turn in on dirt corners. They also have stronger sidewall s than many of their competitors, and so you have less trouble with punctures when touring. However, tyre brands are controversial as you know. Having said that, I have seen good early reviews of the new Cooper Maxx.
Although oversize ones are fashionable, there is no practical improvement in offroad performance, unless you are prepared to go to a much larger diameter and put up with the gearing, cost, weight , steering geometry and other disadvantages so created,
For some further reading on the subject Monty, have a look at this;
http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html
Cheers,
Graeme.

Hi Graeme,

Mate what country are you in? I am not so sure that the stats that you suggested are accurate for Australia to be honest, i am happy to stand corrected though but i'd be surprised to hear from others that a 235/85R16 was a common offroad tyre in Australia?? Not sure about that at all?

I think that the OP would have a Devil of a time trying to match that in the Outback of Australia. As Nissannewby notes a 265/70 he will get anywhere as that is the factory spec size on a Nissan Patrol (before they went to 17s, even then they stayed with a 265 on a 17) and a Toyota Landcruiser, Prado and likely a Hilux too. Staying in a 16 inch rim then a 265 is without a doubt the best option.

Personally I'd go to a 285/75R16 (33) as the tyre nearly every Outback Traveller is running and therefore most tyre shops and wreckers have that size for sure.

GRA.GU
24th July 2012, 11:56 AM
Mudrunner, Admittedly new vehicles and certainly tourists are running wider wheels, but older working vehicles often run [or ran] that size. Mine was a 97 Toyota and it was a very common size on 70 Series work vehicles. Also on Land Rovers. And a very common conversion for those abandoning split rims.
Having pulled wider tyred vehicles out of sand bogs, I have yet to see it demonstrated that there is an advantage off road in wider tyres of the same diameter. Not saying skinny is superior, just that there is no obvious advantage in off road performance. For that reason on my own 07 GU wagon I chose to go to 235x85 when replacing the STANDARD 235x80.
The only point that nobody has mentioned which Monty should also take into account is that cosmetic appeal of a wider tyre may improve his resale slightly, but for practicality the 235 is a good tyre.
Re the vibration Monty, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the splits. I think it was 1 of the reasons people went to tubeless but of course unless you can swap with a mate it's difficult to say for sure.
Cheers fellas.

Winnie
24th July 2012, 11:59 AM
Wider tyres give you a bigger footprint. That means more contact with the ground, which means more traction.

DX grunt
24th July 2012, 01:20 PM
Mine's a GU, but.....

How does that song go? Skinny girls, skinny girls, skinny girls, I love ‘em, I love ‘em, I love ‘em. lol

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Mytruck18Jun2010002.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/Mytruck18Jun2010003.jpg

Rossco

GQ TANK
7th August 2012, 12:14 AM
235 85 r16 are the equvliant to the 750 r16