PDA

View Full Version : Ironman Winch?

ajcambo
16th October 2010, 07:29 AM
I'm looking at buying a winch, are Ironman Winches any good?

arinol
30th November 2010, 06:39 PM
id like to know the same thing, is there nobody out there who has had any experience with the ironman winches or knows someone who has.

Matmobile
8th December 2010, 01:32 AM
I have been told that for the price they are great but get bigger than you think youll need

Dhuck
8th December 2010, 10:30 AM
I was as well. If using a bigger brand (Warn) you can get away with a 9500 lb on a Patrol. As suggested above go for the bigger Iron Man. I would suggest the 12000 lb.

indigothecat
14th April 2011, 03:15 PM
I was at a recent ARB family day and the Chap from Bushranger products was there. (http://www.bushranger.com.au/vehicle_recovery_winches.php) His best price on the 9000lb was only a hundred bucks of the online price. I have been looking around for a suitable one for the '01 GU and see that the Ironman seem to be popular. We have the factory bar which mentions "use only Warn XD 9000", though I was never any good with being told what to do.:1087:.

Has anyone got onto these Bushranger winches?

ZORDO
14th April 2011, 04:26 PM
I have sold quite a few Ironman winches & only had i fail & that was one of the early models that weren't sealed.
I can knock off $100 on the price
Cheers

big_fletch
14th April 2011, 06:12 PM
I have sold quite a few Ironman winches & only had i fail & that was one of the early models that weren't sealed.
I can knock off $100 on the price
Cheers

Just out of interest zordo what is the price on a 12,000??

molongmick
14th April 2011, 06:34 PM
I got TJM ox 12000lb for $999

HippoNZ
14th April 2011, 08:09 PM
I was at my local ARB store last weekend, the fella there said the new bushranger winches were cheaper, just as good as warn and came with closed solinoids meaning you can breath easier when your crossing deep water. Not so many moving parts from what I understand (correct me if im wrong lol) so they are a more tighter sealed unit.

big_fletch
14th April 2011, 08:10 PM

That's what I was actually originally going to get, to bolt into my tjm bar..
How do you find yours mate? I reckon that they would both be a good option and both are known for being a strong unit..
The other winch I have heard many good reports about is the avenger mako

molongmick
14th April 2011, 08:12 PM
I'm happy with it so far, though I haven't done any serious recoverys yet, will let you all know when I have serious go at it.

growler2058
14th April 2011, 08:17 PM

was that with steel cable or rope mate?

molongmick
14th April 2011, 08:21 PM
was that with steel cable or rope mate?

Would only go wire with these as they are internal brakes

growler2058
14th April 2011, 08:25 PM
Would only go wire with these as they are internal brakes
Ahhhhhhhh......k

molongmick
14th April 2011, 08:28 PM
That's what I was actually originally going to get, to bolt into my tjm bar..
How do you find yours mate? I reckon that they would both be a good option and both are known for being a strong unit..
The other winch I have heard many good reports about is the avenger mako

Was going to go the Avenger, but decided not to as the loacl OL store does not stock them. The avenger with rope and external brake 12000lb was about $1300 from memory, and wire a touch over $1000.

Forced Offroad
14th April 2011, 08:57 PM
I've had and used the tigerz 11 winches, both 12000 and there comp spec lowmount 10000.....for some reason i realy like these winches for what they, $1000 0r less with rope and fairlead. I had the lowmount comp spec tigerz11 winch and did a winch hill that the comp bloke did with there highmount, chalk and cheese between them both but from that day I was convinced on them.....The winch I do want will cost more than my truck....

I have seen the ironman winch in use and pulled out a really bogged gu (all qg's got through :) ) double line pull and it worked well

AB
14th April 2011, 09:06 PM
Good read, I'll be in the market soon with Bluey so good to hear some feedback!

Forced Offroad
14th April 2011, 09:29 PM
There was yet another winch Comparo in a 4x4mag that has the word action in it.... ;) If someone still has that issue it gives a run down on the most popular winches...If I recall the ones mentioned so far were also rated well, another dark horse I think was the Mako winches...
Mako winches http://www.4wdshop.com.au/recovery/makowinch.htm
And superwinshes....
The biggest thing is you buy a winch for insurance off the track..... so look at what you want to use it for, are you going to look for trouble to winch out,or to have a winch just in case..

ZORDO
24th April 2011, 07:59 PM
Just out of interest zordo what is the price on a 12,000??

Hi mate.
i can do a 12000lb Ironman winch for $799 + freight depending on your location
Cheers

GUte
25th April 2011, 01:29 PM
A mate has one and is always having dramas with it, especially after driving through lots of water. It must be one of the older versions that weren't sealed.

I love my tigerz, was $845 for 12000lb with plasma rope, so much better to work with than steel
http://youtu.be/GDJ3QjvRZT0

red92gq
25th April 2011, 09:32 PM
A mates had one of the 95000 ironman winches for some time, He treats it an the rest of the car like s### an has managed to kill his winch.
But it died while he was'nt using it . The remote box inside the solinoid box shorted out an wound the winch in tight on the bullbar, stalling the motor an burning the motor an the control box out .
His vehicle was sitting in his driveway after a big day out when it decided to do itself in.