PDA

View Full Version : New rubber suggestions...

alterastro
18th July 2012, 09:21 PM
My Trol is in desperate need of new rubber. The existing ones look silly from the side don't you think? :smileyvault-cute-bi

I think I've narrowed it down to General Grabber AT2's, Hankook RT03's or Cooper STT's but your thoughts are welcomed!

Also, can you tell me the largest size I can fit without a lift? I think the current ones are 235/80 R16's and thinking I can go to 285/75 R16's or are they too big/too small?

Cheers guys

Nick

Winnie
18th July 2012, 09:30 PM
285/75R16 should be alright mate.
My boss used to have the General Grabbers, and he raves about them all the time. Have you looked at Maxxis tyres?

rusty_nail
18th July 2012, 09:34 PM
My Trol is in desperate need of new rubber. The existing ones look silly from the side don't you think? :smileyvault-cute-bi

I think I've narrowed it down to General Grabber AT2's, Hankook RT03's or Cooper STT's but your thoughts are welcomed!

Also, can you tell me the largest size I can fit without a lift? I think the current ones are 235/80 R16's and thinking I can go to 285/75 R16's or are they too big/too small?

Cheers guys

Nick

on a side note, im VERY jealous of the GU Shorty mate, what country are you in?

krbrooking
18th July 2012, 09:35 PM
Is that super imposed or is that really a shorty gu!!!

rusty_nail
18th July 2012, 09:38 PM
its real, but cant b in oz

alterastro
18th July 2012, 09:40 PM
Nah it's real :-) I'm in the UK

alterastro
18th July 2012, 09:44 PM
Have you looked at Maxxis tyres?

Hi yes - The Mudders have the same tread pattern as the Hankooks and about the same price, or did you have something else in mind?

Winnie
18th July 2012, 09:47 PM
Nah I would've recommended the Big Horns. I know a lot of people with these tyres and they love them.

http://www.maxxistyres.com.au/tyredetails.php?id=43&cat=4

Clunk
18th July 2012, 09:59 PM
Nah I would've recommended the Big Horns. I know a lot of people with these tyres and they love them.

From what I've heard the bighorns are pretty p#ss poor on the wet roads........ Don't forget he lives in the UK, always rains so roads are always wet hahaha and the roads tend to be a bit Windier and narrower than ours........
Seriously though, all depends on what sort of driving you gonna be doing and where you're gonna be doing it.
Personally I like the Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZs

alterastro
18th July 2012, 09:59 PM

They look good, but they don't appear to be available over here :-( I'll email them and ask. But yes, very very rainy here unusually! so roadholding in the wet is a factor.

http://www.maxxis.co.uk/tyres/4x4#tyre-range

Cheers

alterastro
20th July 2012, 02:54 AM
Do you guys get Cooper AT3's in Oz? anyone know anything about them?

rusty_nail
20th July 2012, 05:36 AM
A lot o people have gone off coopers as they seem to get gouges real easy in the side walls, they have great top tread, but the seem to get damaged on those side walls

Tappin

Bulbous
20th July 2012, 06:15 AM
See if you can find some Yokohama A/T-s
You should be good to get a set of 285/75 R16 Light Truck. They're very smooth and quiet on road. Very good on sand. Don't know about anything else cos all I have is sand here

Cooper AT/3 are pretty much the same as the Yokos from what I've seen

Tank
20th July 2012, 07:16 AM
Dont go with Bighorns if yuo drive wet roads alot(which you will). A couple of my friends over here(NZ) have them on GQ's and have found wet road grip isn't flash.
I run GT Radial Savero MT's and they are awsome wear well and grip well - wet roads, mud, rock and rivers even do ok in clay

Bigrig
20th July 2012, 07:27 AM
Dont go with Bighorns if yuo drive wet roads alot(which you will). A couple of my friends over here(NZ) have them on GQ's and have found wet road grip isn't flash.
I run GT Radial Savero MT's and they are awsome wear well and grip well - wet roads, mud, rock and rivers even do ok in clay

Wow - wonder if mine were like a different batch or something, coz my Bighorns are bloody good on wet bitumen?? Something I tell people specifically when they ask me what they're like ... I've been more than impressed with them, but as said, maybe mine are older/newer than those of your mates, and are a different compound??

Winnie
20th July 2012, 07:38 AM
There is a new and improved Bighorn out, dunno how new it is though

Tappa tappa

taslucas
20th July 2012, 07:59 AM
A lot o people have gone off coopers as they seem to get gouges real easy in the side walls, they have great top tread, but the seem to get damaged on those side walls

Tappin

Have heard that but myself, my dad and 3 other mates run the Cooper STT's and have no problem at all with gouging etc..... I really rate them
Every tyre question opens a can of worms!

Winnie
20th July 2012, 08:41 AM
My boss runs Cooper AT3s on his company RAV4. He actually takes it on some decent tracks and no tyre problems as yet.

rusty_nail
20th July 2012, 08:50 AM
My boss runs Cooper AT3s on his company RAV4. He actually takes it on some decent tracks and no tyre problems as yet.

maybe coopers have lifted their game a little. my opinion was coming from an oldish article i read in a 4B mag. ive never actually used them, i find they are a bit pricey for my liking. alot of people do swear by them though i guess...

Winnie
20th July 2012, 09:47 AM
But then again on the other side, we've got a customer at work who used to get nothing other than Coopers. In the last couple of years he has stopped buying them as he thinks they have turned to shit.

nissannewby
20th July 2012, 11:05 AM
If you want a good looking tyre that wears really well and handles all conditions really well also have a look at the BFG KM2's. 285/75 will fit on your car quite nicely and being a shorty will give it a nice stance. As for shorty GU's there is one running around up here in QLD :)

nissannewby
20th July 2012, 11:07 AM
Wow - wonder if mine were like a different batch or something, coz my Bighorns are bloody good on wet bitumen?? Something I tell people specifically when they ask me what they're like ... I've been more than impressed with them, but as said, maybe mine are older/newer than those of your mates, and are a different compound??

I have mates who have run the bighorns and say similar about them being no good in the wet. One mate is completely off maxxis altogther as with his set of bighorns and radial treps each time we aired down he would then have to get them re balanced.

Tank
20th July 2012, 01:51 PM
I have mates who have run the bighorns and say similar about them being no good in the wet. One mate is completely off maxxis altogther as with his set of bighorns and radial treps each time we aired down he would then have to get them re balanced.
Another not so flash point on the newer maxis tyres we stood one of my 33's up against one of my mates Bighorns (both done less than 2000km) and the bighorn was 25mm shorter

threedogs
20th July 2012, 02:18 PM
What about 305s x 16 mickeys MTZs, fill in the wheel arches nicely, IMO very good, nice and quiet still, after 30 thou

alterastro
7th August 2012, 10:13 PM
Well I went with Cooper ST Maxx's 285/75 16's

I think they fill the arches much better, don't you :-)

BEFORE:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/8.jpg

AFTER:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/9.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/10.jpg

Only trouble is I need a spacer for the spare. I would love one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REAR-4x4-DOUBLE-LIGHT-BRACKET-Nissan-Patrol-GU-4WD-Fishing-Camping-Off-Road-/261072086430?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc91be59e But nobody seems to ship to the UK and you can't get them over here :-( Anyone know anbody selling them that would be willing to ship to the UK?

Cheers

Nick

Clunk
7th August 2012, 10:27 PM
Would cost you more in shipping than what they're worth mate..... Do you know anyone handy with the tools? Or have a go yourself?

Clunk
7th August 2012, 10:28 PM
Oh forgot to say......... Your shorty looks so much better withe the new boots, love it

Winnie
7th August 2012, 10:38 PM
Just AWESOME! love it!

45/70
8th August 2012, 04:51 PM
Another not so flash point on the newer maxis tyres we stood one of my 33's up against one of my mates Bighorns (both done less than 2000km) and the bighorn was 25mm shorter

Bet he got those Bighorns from bob jane.

Winnie
8th August 2012, 04:56 PM
Yep, Bob Jane import their Maxxis tyres from China, cheaper for them to buy and so they make more money. Just about every other tyre dealer gets them from Maxxis Australia who get their tyres from Taiwan, they are a better tyre.

tricksgonefishing
8th August 2012, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=KRISTOFFA;247660]285/75R16 should be alright mate.
My boss used to have the General Grabbers, and he raves about them all the time. Have you looked at Maxxis tyres?[/QUOTE

I just finnished with a set of Maxxis bighorns and they were rubbish. 255/85/16. They were very loud,wore very fast and uneven (every second lug wore more than the other) I even rotated every service (5000ks) to try to keep them quiet but still didnt quite get 40000ks out of them. I just got some Nitto Mud Grapperlers. Extreme but awesome grip compared to the Maxxis and they look cool aswell but only time will tell about the wear.

HammerBuilder
13th August 2012, 10:02 PM
Ya rig looks great with the new boots, I am just about to get another set of BFG's muds again of course as this set of 33's I've gotten 71thou k's n still got bout 3mm off the wear indicators, maybe good cause keep them on 40psi when on the blacktop n rotate every 10thou but even the boys that fitted them couldn't beleive they still had tread. Definately going BFG's again although at the price quoted I may have to shop around this time...

Anyone know a good dealer who will sell them at a propper price chuck up their details thanx... Live in top of NSW but will travel to topside of Brisvegas for the right price as loyalty don't mean squat these days.

Winnie
13th August 2012, 10:11 PM
Guy I work with just bought 4 brand new KM2s in a 33" for his 60 series, from somewhere in Melbourne though he found them on eBay, I'll ask him tomorrow.

nissannewby
14th August 2012, 07:07 AM
Ya rig looks great with the new boots, I am just about to get another set of BFG's muds again of course as this set of 33's I've gotten 71thou k's n still got bout 3mm off the wear indicators, maybe good cause keep them on 40psi when on the blacktop n rotate every 10thou but even the boys that fitted them couldn't beleive they still had tread. Definately going BFG's again although at the price quoted I may have to shop around this time...

Anyone know a good dealer who will sell them at a propper price chuck up their details thanx... Live in top of NSW but will travel to topside of Brisvegas for the right price as loyalty don't mean squat these days.
Try JAX quickfit I think it is.