PDA

View Full Version : Does stop smoke for oil really work

Ferret
18th July 2012, 04:49 PM
I have a sd33 done about 400k and Im going for a roady and she is blowing some smoke at the start till she warms up it's all gone well the mechanic won't issue me a roady cause off that anything I can do to piss the smoke off ?

97_gq_lwb
18th July 2012, 04:55 PM
I have had success with nulon stop leak but bear in mind it may take a while to work .
It worked on engines with valve stem seal issues.
If it blows smoke on start up and after idling for a period of time when you go to take off again it is usually valve stem seals.
I tried stop smoke on one with these symptoms once and it made it worse.

Does it do it when it's warmed up and you restart it and what colour is the smoke being a diesel it may just be glow plugs

Ferret
18th July 2012, 11:05 PM
Just on start as being cold once warm I don't have a issue smoke is blue And the
Motor has blow bye but not as bad as some do

97_gq_lwb
19th July 2012, 07:08 AM
If it's oil from blow bye a catch can like a provent will stop it.
You could just run the breather hose into the atmosphere take it for a decent run then to check it.

I would check the glow plugs though as they are the most common cause for smoke on start up if it isn't smoking once warm.

MQ MAD
19th July 2012, 09:07 AM
Blue smoke is worn rings
Usually the ol diesels get a woof of white smoke at cold start, thats unburnt diesel and its ok
IF you get blue smoke , anyone sitting behind the car and revving the engines will see consistant blue smoke, so depending how bad it is , it should pass or will never pass
Maybe run a heavier grade oil and give itr an oil change and new filter,again depends how bad we are talking

nissannewby
19th July 2012, 01:40 PM
Blue oil can be range of things. Rings, valve stem seals, head gasket etc. Stop smoke is just a bandaid fix it may work for now but its only covering up whats really wrong. I would recommend a compression test and if she is low depending on the condition of the rest of the engine you could get away with a re-ring, hone and bearings.

Ferret
19th July 2012, 04:55 PM
What's that going to cost me ?

MQ MAD
19th July 2012, 06:22 PM
What's that going to cost me ?

Cost on the SD33 diesels can vary depending on whats wrong
Some have spent in excess of $900 just on a head crack test and rebuild (head only)
The SD33 heads uncracked are getting a tad rare
Most who own these ol rigs, once the parts look like costing alot , either buy another one and raid for parts or buy good 2nd hand bits to swap their dud bits
Good running SD33 T, will cost anywhere around the grand figure , maybe more depending
Like any old engine you wont know whats entirely wrong till its pulled apart and checked
One bloke on another patrol forum spent well over 4 grand on his SD33 T engine alone ....

Ferret
20th July 2012, 05:33 PM
yeh im new to a diesel i hear these motors arnt a let down i mite just spend the cash Thanks guys for all the help cheers