PDA

View Full Version : GU drawers - home project

maldalton
18th July 2012, 11:28 AM
gidday lads, this is my first posting, been reading heaps of good stuff here over the past few months.

thought I would post a pic of my home project, a custom set of drawers made at home, stoked with em!

growler2058
18th July 2012, 11:29 AM
Good job mate welcome aboard

Tap, Tap.......Who's there?

Wetty
18th July 2012, 11:47 AM
Nice work. . . .I made a set of drawers for my "other" wagon and know how difficult it is! I like that table too, might have to set up one like that in my bus!
Wetty

maldalton
18th July 2012, 12:03 PM
yeah was a bit bigger of a gig than I thought! 3 arvo's after work, and most of the weekend. One good thing carpet covers a lot of poor carpentry work :) Allready loaded up one side of the drawers with cooking gear, can't wait to try them out this weekend, looks like it going to work really well for us. Ive ordered a replacement 42 LED light to replace the rear interior, plus Im going to install a drop down work light just inside the rear door opening, so it will fold flat.

On the left of the drawers where the gap is I left it open purposely so I can fit 1 x 20l vertical and 1 x 20l horizontal water containers. I also built 2 hatch openings in the floor at the front of the drawers, fits the compressor, toolbag, hitches and a few shits and bits.

teno45
18th July 2012, 12:35 PM
Very nice mate. That photo is going in my idea's pile for when I actually get around to doing mine

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

wildgu6
18th July 2012, 01:35 PM
G'day & welcome aboard mate
Great lot here with tons of ideas, advice, adventures and experiences,
Love the draw set up, nice work

Enjoy, Cheers Pete

Yappa Tappa Doo

jack
18th July 2012, 02:54 PM
Great job, you've now got me motivated. Might pm you regarding some specs, don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Cheers

The BigFella
18th July 2012, 05:33 PM
Welcome on board and great job!
Ive done a few sets now for mates and they arent as easy as you might expect, awesome effort!

Winnie
18th July 2012, 06:46 PM
Hey mate, welcome aboard.
Is that a fold out table on the top left? If so BLOODY GROUSE IDEA!!

maldalton
18th July 2012, 08:12 PM
Cheers lads, yeah fold out double table, the red box is my primes cooker, I only have an icebox so that sits under the tie down straps.

If anyone wants some more detailed pics let me know I'll post em on here :) btw I did not use runners, the cost just kept creeping up, I used these little nylon slider things from buntings, about the size of a 10c bit and about 7mm high, designed for the bottom of chair legs, 2 on the back underside of the draw, and 2 at the front of the base it it works quite well, the boss has no problem sliding them so all good.

Scottm79
18th July 2012, 09:05 PM
Great drawers mate. Look fantastic. May I offer some advice. I too have some home mades, I can't see if u have any latches to keep them closed but I don't. Even though I too don't have bearings or rollers (mine is just wood on wood with some wax candle rubbed on it) doesn't matter how much weight is in it on steep rough climbs they do come open and hit the barn doors. My handles also damaged the door interiors. So your table might also need a strap.
I wish mine were as neat as yours!!!! I have been looking at adding a table hutch like yours for a while.... Inspiration!

krbrooking
18th July 2012, 09:23 PM
nice job mate, welcome aboard. I am in the process of making my own set at the moment you arent wrong about the cost creeping up. but its all worth it, and still a lot cheaper than bought ones that is for sure when I am finished I will post the pics.

maldalton
18th July 2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the tip about the latches, I will get something sorted, might use some left over ute tonneau bungees to hold the table in it's spot. I bought a pair of small barrel latches they are sitting in the shed.

Scottm79
18th July 2012, 11:11 PM
Hope it didn't come across rude mate. Just didn't want ur doors to possibly look like mine!

Clunk
19th July 2012, 12:05 AM
Great drawer set up mate, really like the little books you made for the table n stuff

maldalton
19th July 2012, 09:37 AM
nah Scott no rudeness at all, appreciate the comments, and will add something for sure, thanks.

Waka
19th July 2012, 08:42 PM
mate, they look awesome. good on you for having a crack. i wish i was as motivated or had the time.

Waka

daggy
20th July 2012, 04:38 PM
Good looking drawers, makes me want to finish off all the other half finished jobs I've got around the house, so I can start another one.

Sapient
24th July 2012, 09:35 AM
btw I did not use runners, the cost just kept creeping up, I used these little nylon slider things from buntings, about the size of a 10c bit and about 7mm high, designed for the bottom of chair legs, 2 on the back underside of the draw, and 2 at the front of the base it it works quite well, the boss has no problem sliding them so all good.

Cracker jack idea that......! ;)

patrol2.8
26th July 2012, 02:14 PM
Great job given me a couple of ideas for the upgrade of mine

megatexture
26th July 2012, 05:29 PM
cheers mate thats a sweet set up, if its not to much effort a few more closer pics would be nice! theres some great ideas in that set up.

megatexture
26th July 2012, 05:33 PM
oh on another note i see you have your seatbelts hanging down in the back if you unbolt it from the floor and pull off the trim and the small surround around the belt you can push it all inside the pillar out of the way its like a 10 min job.

maldalton
31st July 2012, 10:12 AM
ahh good tip on the seatbelts, will do!

Had a couple of day outings, wow what a difference having this makes! Pupp up, flip down the table, boil some coffee, make some sausage sangers, love it! So much better than pulling boxes out. Ill post a few more pics in the next few days. cheers.

choochie
31st July 2012, 03:50 PM
Looks awesome. Been wanting to do something like this on mine and this has given me good motivation. Might head down to bunnings on the weekend :)

[Tapatalk2 on Nexus7]

Ian2011
2nd August 2012, 07:51 PM
Looks good mate, made a set myself but looking to change style, might copy yours

cheers

Tobes
6th August 2012, 04:19 PM
what a fantatsic set up, good job! Been looking at doing something like this for my GU after seeing the prices of draw systems. Trip to Bunnings i think hehe :)

Marshalls85
18th August 2012, 06:24 PM
Looks Great! definitely going to use your design have you got any more details pics/plans

Lowie
28th January 2013, 10:05 PM
G'day mate,
would love to see the rest of your piccies :-)

Cbates
29th January 2013, 10:49 PM
awesome set up mate! would love to do something like that in the future! like lowie said, would love to see some more pics!

andrewh
1st March 2013, 01:52 PM
Sweet looking drawers - lots of time invested there!

hempo
1st July 2013, 01:19 PM
Drawers look good mate. Like the shelf for table and cooker.

AJTich
20th October 2013, 10:39 PM
Nice job. I almost thought the table was the spot for the solar panels....
Hey, Why not...
A&J

Bikerider
15th January 2014, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the info mate start mine in a couple of weeks thanks :049:

opinion
17th February 2014, 06:41 AM
Thank yo for sharing, good job.

dkpat
8th April 2014, 11:46 PM
Nice work!

markusa