PDA

View Full Version : VMS 700HD or Hema HN6???

Hoggy
17th July 2012, 10:36 PM
Hey guys, I'm after some advice! About to head off for a 'lap' with the camper and need to purchase a GPS. Hoping to do a fair amount off the black stuff.
I'm looking for advice from those who have used either or both of these units?
Leaning towards the VMS but I havent played with the HN6 yet.

Advice and comments please!

Cheers, Hoggy.

Slayer29369
31st March 2013, 12:10 PM
I've just upgraded from a VMS430 to the new 700 HDSii and I'm finding easy to use and good clear maps. Having the big screen gives plenty of map view and I would recommend getting the sun shade attachment. As it comes with a good range of installed maps it covers everything most people will need.

Another option is a GPS enabled tablet with a mapping program like mudmap or similar .

MudRunnerTD
31st March 2013, 12:24 PM
Hema app on an IPad or IPad Mini is a winner.

Make sure you buy an iPad or mini with 3G or your wasting your money. Works great.

Buy a Bluetooth keyboard if you mount e iPad and your on a winner. Load your entire CD collection onto iTunes and leave them at home and load them into your iPad.

Winner.

MudRunnerTD
31st March 2013, 12:28 PM
I am currently travelling to my parents house as a passenger and have my iPad linked via Bluetooth to my IPhone and am on this forum right now while doing 100km/h down the fwy.

Could be running Hema on the side too ;)

Cuppa
31st March 2013, 04:57 PM
I don't have either, (only the ipad version of Hema).
One thing to consider with the HN6 is that as well as having everything the ipad app has, it also has a street navigator AND it has Camps 7 included for free. I haven,t seen this in action, but reckon it would be a real boon. Not only showing you where all the free camp spots are, but tap the screen & it directs you to them.

MEGOMONSTER
31st March 2013, 05:11 PM
A mate of mine purchased the VMS HDS, and can't stop talking about it.
Myself , I haven't seen it yet or had a play with it. But from all the positives I've been hearing about it from him, it must be alright.

nickpeacock36
31st March 2013, 05:23 PM
Expensive updates on the vms. $120 if i remember right. I ended up bying a Garmin for road duties with lifetime free updates for 120 from Dick Smiths.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Adventurous
20th October 2013, 07:54 PM
Due to the high cost of Garmin (particularly for Motorbikes - more than $500 for the unit, plus you can't bring the maps you own to a new device), I have moved to Google Maps. This works really well and is (almost) free.

I even traveled from Cairns to Cape York and return on my R1200GSA motor bike, and just used the Google Maps! Worked really well - though made sure I downloaded offline maps for this trip, as there are no mobile phone towers between Laura and the top.