PDA

View Full Version : GQ LWB - High Roof, Headling removal

Ricardo00
17th July 2012, 09:02 PM
I'm going to be removing my headlining in the next couple of weeks, anyone done this before? I'm after some points to make the job a bit easier.

sibbles
31st July 2012, 11:20 PM
Subscribed, am also looking for info on this, please tell us how it went if no one chimes in

Ade
1st August 2012, 02:58 AM
G'day guys..

Did you all meant the vinyl covering on the top? If it is then its pretty easy to remove. Start at it edges on the doors. Pull off just the top part of the doors' lining and slowly lift the vinyl off as it's glued to the roof frame. There are 5 or 6 steel rods about 5mm diameter that are holding/stretching the vinyl to the roof. They were chucked into the roof frame and can be easily remove too. I've done this before when I was fitting my roof console and sound proofing the roof on my Safari but had it refitted with a new vinyl at a shop as the old one was looking as bad. Sorry though I am not that good at explaining stuff..

Cheers,
Ade

mick.
1st August 2012, 10:07 AM
It's been a long time since I did it but from memory you need to remove the interior light covers, remove the light housing screws, open the sunroof up, remove the pinch weld around that and possibly some brackets or covers that go around the sunroof opening (this is the bit that's a bit blurry), then remove any other pinch weld around the top of the door openings, pull handles, sun visors etc, Now mine wasn't glued to the roof as it was velor not vinyl it had pieces of spring steel that go from one side of the roof to the other which you stick your hand behind and pull gently. Once you have worked out to remove one the rest is easy.

I think that's about it. When I did mine I also cut the roof completely off and put a low roof on it and converted it to a duel cab. All I needed was some oars and it would have made a good boat.:wink:

Cheers Mick.