PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Sliders

MYR1G
16th July 2012, 09:38 PM
Hey,
Just in the process of building a set of draws for my gu,They are two side by side,approx 340mm deep.I have already built the carcase,19mm top and base and 12mm sides and middle section.
Now i am up to the sliders,I will go with the bearing and rhs idea purely because its simple,however i have a few Q's first,

1.How do you make the drawes track straight,so when you pull them in and out they dont go left to right etc?are people using bearings horizontally as well??

2.I have used 12mm for my walls,should i get some 2mm sheetmetal and put that on for my bearing nut and bolts to bite too??

Help would be greatly appreciated and could save me alot of time experimenting hahah!!
Thanks Jake

wildgu6
16th July 2012, 10:12 PM
Don't have draws and not sure what guys do for side play, but a thought in my head suggests to try some guides either metal or timber, even a urethane, screwed into the bottom edges of the carcass, just a thought hope it helps

Yappa Tappa Doo

taslucas
17th July 2012, 01:29 PM
Depends on what sort of runners you're gonna get. Get big, good quality runners and they have no sideways movement and will also hold more weight when extended. My mate can stand in his draw when fully extended. Sorry, not sure on brand names etc.... Maybe see a local cabinet maker or kitchen place?

Tap, crackle, pop

MYR1G
17th July 2012, 06:19 PM
hey,
Yeah Wild98,i thought about some sort of plastic channels for it too slide along the bottom,and taslucas iam trying too steet clean of the kitchen type runners,going to make them with bearings and rhs steel,i just think this way has too be stronger,but best off all alot cheaper!!!,Thanks guys,interested to hear more feedback and ideas!
Cheers..

taslucas
17th July 2012, 06:52 PM
I'm talking fully sealed roller bearings. But yeah they get costly....

Tap, crackle, pop

altech
17th July 2012, 06:57 PM
Sliders, hmmm what sliders , was thinking about them at the time and said to myself I don't need them as you can see in my thread " draw uniy for under $450 " cheers Alex

click link below :

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12436-GU-Draw-Unit-for-under-450&p=238069#post238069

healy
17th July 2012, 08:19 PM
125kg sliders on eBay around $100