PDA

View Full Version : MQ / MK Replacement Tail Lights & Indicators

Chops
15th October 2010, 01:06 AM
Here is a run down on replacing the lights on your MQ & MK Patrol.

I found some replacement Tail lights & Front Indicators on eBay, supposedly for the MQ/MK.
Apparently there are different types of plugs for the MQ/MK lights, as several eBay sellers state their lights suit both the MQ & MK Patrol. This is clearly not the case, as the light plugs on the MK, are different than other models. If you are looking for replacement lights for your MK Patrol, take note of what you are buying, because so far, I haven't been able to find replacement Tail lights and Indicators that plug straight into the MK Patrol harness.

This is the harness plug for my MK Patrol Front Indicator.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/14.jpg

This is the Indicator itself showing the plug.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/15.jpg

This is the Front Indicator sold on eBay as a replacement for the MQ/MK.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/16.jpg

I have not seen an MQ or MK Patrol with the plugs such as the one above, as they are for the Nissan 720 models, but sellers state they fit. While they do actually fit as a replacement light, they will need to be rewired to suit your vehicle. I contacted a seller, and he spoke with his suppliers, who stated they both haven't seen a square plug like the one on my MK Patrol. While being excellent value for money, these Front Indicators clearly aren't a "bolt in replacement" for the MQ/MK Patrol as advertised by various eBay sellers.

This is the Tail light sold on eBay as a replacement for the MQ/MK Patrol.
It has the same plug as above, and will also need to be rewired to suit your vehicle.
The MK Patrol has its Rear Indicators located in the bumper, and rewiring it will be a bit harder.
You can rewire this MK Tail light, and take the Indicator from the bumper to this Tail light, or you
can rewire it so you tap into the Indicator from the bumper, and utilize them both as Indicators.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/17.jpg

Below is a guide to the layout of the Tail lights for the MQ/MK Patrol.

(MQ)
Indicator
Brake
Reverse

(MK)
Brake
Brake
Reverse
(Separate Indicator)

Finly Owner
15th October 2010, 10:05 PM
Or you could go to allcrash parts in any state and buy after market red/red/clear lights for MK. In qld (brissie speciffically) use Mark Gibbs Panel House, Slacks Creek.

Chops
16th October 2010, 04:45 AM
The All Crash website states you need to be an account holder to purchase parts, bad luck for most of us. Thanks anyway.

Finly Owner
16th October 2010, 11:24 PM
The All Crash website states you need to be an account holder to purchase parts, bad luck for most of us. Thanks anyway.

Oh sorry ol chap, my mistake I order through work with them and didn't even think twice before advising of them. Bonus of working where I do.

cleetus
14th December 2010, 07:47 PM
good to know as im about to have to change mine on my mq

MQ MAD
21st December 2010, 09:50 AM
You can just buy the replacement lenses

The MK taillights never came out with the amber top lense anyway
The MK had the seperate indicator in the rear bar

thomas.h
17th February 2012, 02:42 PM
i bought lights opff ebay for mine and had no issues at all all wiring looms matched up and if your really having that much of an issue cut off your old plugs and solder them on to the new lights

Johan Safari
19th February 2012, 08:25 AM
Will the Ebay lights pass a road worthy?

MQ MAD
23rd February 2012, 03:43 PM
Will the Ebay lights pass a road worthy?

As long as lenses are not broken or cracked and arent faded too much , they pass a rwc,so newies , replacements will be fine
Even the clear lense lights are illegal and seen them pass a rwc, so yeah no probs there

ishie
6th March 2012, 12:16 PM
Here is a run down on replacing the lights on your MQ & MK Patrol.

I found some replacement Tail lights (http://www.jcwhitney.com/taillights-brake-and-backup-lights/c3006j1s17.jcwx) & Front Indicators on eBay, supposedly for the MQ/MK.
Apparently there are different types of plugs for the MQ/MK lights, as several eBay sellers state their lights suit both the MQ & MK Patrol. This is clearly not the case, as the light plugs on the MK, are different than other models. If you are looking for replacement lights for your MK Patrol, take note of what you are buying, because so far, I haven't been able to find replacement Tail lights and Indicators that plug straight into the MK Patrol harness.

This is the harness plug for my MK Patrol Front Indicator.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/14.jpg

This is the Indicator itself showing the plug.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/15.jpg

This is the Front Indicator sold on eBay as a replacement for the MQ/MK.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/16.jpg

I have not seen an MQ or MK Patrol with the plugs such as the one above, as they are for the Nissan 720 models, but sellers state they fit. While they do actually fit as a replacement light, they will need to be rewired to suit your vehicle. I contacted a seller, and he spoke with his suppliers, who stated they both haven't seen a square plug like the one on my MK Patrol. While being excellent value for money, these Front Indicators clearly aren't a "bolt in replacement" for the MQ/MK Patrol as advertised by various eBay sellers.

This is the Tail light sold on eBay as a replacement for the MQ/MK Patrol.
It has the same plug as above, and will also need to be rewired to suit your vehicle.
The MK Patrol has its Rear Indicators located in the bumper, and rewiring it will be a bit harder.
You can rewire this MK Tail light, and take the Indicator from the bumper to this Tail light, or you
can rewire it so you tap into the Indicator from the bumper, and utilize them both as Indicators.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/10/17.jpg

Below is a guide to the layout of the Tail lights for the MQ/MK Patrol.

(MQ)
Indicator
Brake
Reverse

(MK)
Brake
Brake
Reverse
(Separate Indicator)
mate how much is the cost of your tail lights? ive been thinking of changing my tail light. hoeing for the response. thanks!

Finly Owner
7th March 2012, 11:35 PM
Ebay sell them approx $35 each
Tim

GQ TANK
24th April 2012, 06:09 PM
I just cut the plugs off, and wired them up using crimps.

Crankshaft
2nd August 2012, 08:00 PM
G'day all
I was involved with some stuff with my then employer and found out the reason the blinkers are in the back bumper and not with the rest of the lights.
The blinkers must be able to be seen from 45degrees from either side of the rear of the vehicle. With the external spare tyre in place that is not possible. I think it 45 it could be 50.
Thus for ADR vehicles with an external spare most manufactures put blinkers in the bumper below the spare tyre.
The MQ tail lights with the blinkers are intended for the models without the external spare.
I have seen a NSW police check sheet that specifies ride height , taillights and a number of other key physical attributes.
If they are paying attention it can mean a defect.
That being said
I have just purchased as set with the blinker built in as I want to improve departure angle and remove the rear tow bar and bumper with the blinkers.
I am going to add a couple of posts to the spare tyre rack and put a couple of pretty little LED’s on them to meet the visibility requirement. I already have a post for a work /camping light so it wont look too out of place. I hope.
Cranky

RyanH
2nd August 2012, 08:11 PM
Oh sorry ol chap, my mistake I order through work with them and didn't even think twice before advising of them. Bonus of working where I do.

Where do you work?? if I can ask?>

Ferret
2nd August 2012, 11:12 PM
Southern 4x4 picked mine up last week for 25 a pop that's in Melbourne souther 4x4 campefield

MQ MAD
3rd August 2012, 09:02 AM
G'day all
I was involved with some stuff with my then employer and found out the reason the blinkers are in the back bumper and not with the rest of the lights.
The blinkers must be able to be seen from 45degrees from either side of the rear of the vehicle. With the external spare tyre in place that is not possible. I think it 45 it could be 50.
Thus for ADR vehicles with an external spare most manufactures put blinkers in the bumper below the spare tyre.
The MQ tail lights with the blinkers are intended for the models without the external spare.
I have seen a NSW police check sheet that specifies ride height , taillights and a number of other key physical attributes.
If they are paying attention it can mean a defect.
That being said
I have just purchased as set with the blinker built in as I want to improve departure angle and remove the rear tow bar and bumper with the blinkers.
I am going to add a couple of posts to the spare tyre rack and put a couple of pretty little LED’s on them to meet the visibility requirement. I already have a post for a work /camping light so it wont look too out of place. I hope.
Cranky

This is the reason why the GQ have the lights where they are, havent heard that is was an issue with the earlier ones
Theres plenty of MQs with spare wheel holders on the rear bar and still have the lights MQ style
Id be interested to know exactly when this law was passed, as in its year