PDA

View Full Version : unknown dash light

Big John
15th October 2010, 12:30 AM
I have a dash light that comes on when the ignition is on but goes out when started, what it looks like is a orange light with a dotted line horizontaly across the light with an arrow pointing down, I assume it is a warning light of low fluid of some kind but am not sure of what it means.
I have a 1994 GQ patrol wagon with a TD 42 motor that I purchased 8 months ago (my first 4x4 and diesel motor). Any information would be greatly appreciated and does anyone have a owners manual that they no longer require.
Thanks guys John

Finly Owner
15th October 2010, 12:43 AM
Its a glow plug light

DX grunt
15th October 2010, 12:48 AM
Its a glow plug light

When you turn the ignition on, wait a bit, then you should hear a 'click', that means it's warm enough to start. Then crank it up. You'll find it very hard to try and start a cold engine with out letting the 'glow plug' light warm up.

When the engine's hot, you probably won't hear the 'click'.

Hope that helps. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Big John
15th October 2010, 01:58 AM
the glow plug light is up next to the filter light this one is just to the right of the seat belt warning light
I do know you gotta glow to make it go LOL
Thanking you all for your answers so far.

DX grunt
15th October 2010, 02:13 AM
the glow plug light is up next to the filter light this one is just to the right of the seat belt warning light
I do know you gotta glow to make it go LOL
Thanking you all for your answers so far.

I've got a 4.2TDI. I'll have a quick look in my owner's manual in the morning.

Ross

DX grunt
15th October 2010, 08:51 AM
Hey John

I've had a quick look through the owner's manual but can't find anything remotely like what you've described.

Personally, I'd be making a quick telephone call to a Nissan dealer to find out, before I drove it any further.

Mine's a 2005 GU 4.2 TDi. Thought I could help, but in this case I can't. Sorry.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

Woof
15th October 2010, 08:45 PM
Any of these, taken from a 1989 manual.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/Uriah57/img001.jpg

Big John
30th October 2010, 05:01 PM
Thank you to all those that helped, it turns out to be a light that has something to do with the air inlet (blocked filter from what I can understand) Thanks heaps to the tech at Warnambool for this information.
John

mike
30th October 2010, 10:02 PM
i remember this light came on when i first got my patrol ,new air filters fixed it never seen it since .performance was way down and wouldnt rev through to redline

Cheers Mike

UKKiwi
31st October 2010, 04:58 PM
from the discription, I would have said water in the fuel line somewhere. I must be a man-I was wrong!