PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl wrap

joey_081
15th July 2012, 05:07 PM
Has anyone had anything do with Vinyl wrap of a patrol? Is it any good?

Price too? Any one know how much and from where?

Easy to DIY????

mick.
15th July 2012, 06:54 PM
The good quality stuff would cost you about $2000 give or take a little for a patrol and it's not for anyone to do. I've been messing with large stickers and vinyls for years when I was painting cars like police stickers etc but there's no way in hell I'd attack that. lol

There is probably only one guy in Newcastle that I would trust to do it and he now works for ARB. So If you where to get it done find someone who has done a lot of it to fit it and get a good quality rap as there is some crap out there and the poorer the quality the harder it is to use and the quicker it will separate from folds and curves in your body shape.

Cheers Mick.

taslucas
15th July 2012, 07:06 PM
Im a signwriter and have done a few vehicle wraps. Mick is spot on about the quality and price. The better quality vinyl, the easier it is to apply (i recommend 3M brand) and it will need to be laminated with the correct clear laminate vinyl. How much of the vehicle do you want to cover?

taslucas
15th July 2012, 07:07 PM
Hey just realised you are in tas...... Im in burnie area.....

mick.
15th July 2012, 07:17 PM
Gees what are the odds of that? lol

Everything in the way of stickers, tapes and glues etc we also only use 3M.

taslucas
15th July 2012, 07:25 PM
Yeah its a good brand. We also use Avery and Oracal for vinyls. Sometimes Nikkolite for reflective.

mick.
15th July 2012, 07:39 PM
I haven't had much to do with the other brands as I'm a spraypainter I leave as much of the stripping as I can to the pros.

TheBigUnit
3rd August 2012, 11:01 PM
I had my GU fully wrapped up until March this year. It was a full wrap using 3M vinyl and pretty schmick printing and cost me close to 4k installed. I pulled it off the car in about 4 hours by myself without any damage at all and no heat gun. Just sore fingers... The cheaper stuff doesn't conform to the contours of the car when it's heated, it cracks and falls off or worse, traps dirt in the imperfections. Don't go with the cheap crap for a full wrap and make sure you get it done by a proper signwriter, not some home job from a garage or shed, unless he's a pro on the slow down. I wasted almost 2k on a crappy job that I had to heat shrink off and it sucked. Also the d#&@head that did it used a blade knife on the paintwork and bumpers *cringe*

The proper job really looked the goods and I had heaps of people ask me why I sold my white patrol once the stickers were removed. She's green over gold again now but very few people knew she wasn't really white.

Winnie
3rd August 2012, 11:24 PM
Got any photos of it wrapped?