PDA

View Full Version : Tim's - 2.8TD GU Patrol

Timbo
17th June 2010, 09:31 AM
This is my rig. I was going to sell it and buy a GU Ute, which one day I may still do, but I really don't have the funds at the moment and I probably should think about buying a house.

'99 GU Patrol
35" Baja Claws on Black 15" Sunraysia rims
3" Wombat suspension lift
3" Exhaust from Turbo, no mufflers
Obligatory Safari Snorkel
Flexi Flares on Rear (going to change to originals)
Homemade drawers (going to redesign them)
Sony head unit with 6.5" polk momo splits and 800w kenwood amp, 12" kenwood sub.
Sundowner CB radio
LED interior lights
Winch Bar with stock IPF spotties
Blocked EGR and Intercooler butterfly
Custom dents and scratches :)

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/06/1.jpg http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/06/2.jpg http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/06/3.jpg

Got my spare 35" on the roof at the moment because I've noticed a few cracks in the barn door hinge. Those doors aren't really made for taking that amount of weight. Hopefully I can get a custom rear bar with a swing arm on it for the spare. Just need the money!

More pics to come.

my91gq
17th June 2010, 10:12 AM
i've been looking a 2.8td gu how do you find them?
how do they go on 35's a fuel wise?

Timbo
17th June 2010, 10:50 AM
Hi mate,

The 2.8's are a good motor. They are prone to some head issues, so I've read, but this isn't until 200,000 odd thousand km's.. but I guess it depends how you drive it and how often you get it serviced etc.. like all cars.
I find the 2.8 terrific in the bush. When my mates had 4wd's, they were ALL 4.2's. There was never a time where they could get somewhere and I couldn't. In Low Range, they are the same. If you're a capable driver, the 2.8 will get you where you want to be.
They are a revvy engine and being a diesel, you tend not to push them hard.. but they can and will rev, giving you a bit more of a useable rev range to work with unlike the 4.2's which peak about about 3000-35000rpm and really don't do much after that.

They are slow on the road. There's no mistaking that. You have to ride/feather the clutch a bit to get them moving. Once they are up to speed, they sing along really well. The 4.2 is a bit faster on the road and is easier to take off in but realistically, this probably isn't worth the extra 5grand you could end up paying extra just for a 4.2.

With the 35's, don't expect world beating fuel economy. Apart from all the accessories we add to our trucks, the 35's really drag the economy down. I probably get somewhere between 17lt - 20lt per 100km's. I used to get around 650km's out of both tanks combined when I was travelling 80km's a day to work round trip. The 35's don't help the take off speed either. When I have my 31's on the car, driveability improves 1000%. It's just a quicker car all round and fuel improves a bit. I'm just really lazy and don't have a good jack to change my wheels over. I really just want to buy a new set of 33's and use them for tracks/road full time and not have 2 sets of tyres.

Hmm what else can I say.. It responds well to a 3" exhaust. Initially I didn't notice much difference, but after a week, I noticed it was revving a lot easier now and the turbo spooled up quicker. Plus it sounds good :D The gearbox is smooth as silk and leaves the 4.2 box left for dead in terms of feel.

One thing I don't like about the 2.8 is the fly-by-wire accelerator pedal. In the bush, going over the wash outs or really rocky sections, trying to keep a steady pressure on the accelerator is hard because with all the bouncing, your foot is constantly pressing the pedal slightly and it's so sensitive that the car starts to surge, making for an uncomfortable drive. Quite a few guys have shoved some foam under the pedal to numb some of the sensitivity out of it and apparently it works fine.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Timbo
17th June 2010, 12:52 PM
More Pics! No particular Order.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/06/4.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/06/5.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/06/6.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/06/7.jpg

gec
17th June 2010, 02:28 PM
Those economy figure's suck, man I thought you'd get better than that with such a tiny motor, I get the same economy from my GQ with a GEN 111 V8 and 33s and it aint tuned properly and has a really restricted intake, when those issues are fixed the economy will get much better, This thing pulls like a bus full of school boy's and revs to about 6200 rpm. Its lifted, has a 150ltr fuel tank, steel winch bar and winch and draws full of recovery gear and 40ltr fridge so she's fully loaded all the time

Timbo
17th June 2010, 02:54 PM
I never said the figures were great. Of course you're going to get better figures with a V8. You can cruise around all day on 1500rpm while I'm constantly changing gears and sitting around 2500 - 3000rpm. Plus isn't the GQ lighter? The LS1 is probably lighter that the deisel too.. LS1 is alloy isn't it?
As for being a tiny motor.. it's a 6cyl.. it's actually quite large when you look at it. I notice you have 33" tyres too, I'm running 35's which makes a difference.

When you get your V8 tuned up and a new intake etc.. you can create a thread about how good your economy is! :D
See you on the other side of the river.. if your V8 doesn't stall.:p

gec
17th June 2010, 04:51 PM
Don't get me wrong mate wasn't having a go.just meant ya must be disappointed with that consumption,I thought the 2.8 was much more economical than that,and as for the river crossing, being a GEN111, there is no dizzy to drown, a couple of squirts of CRC and it will run fully submerged as long as your snorkel is sealed :cool: and economy wise there is a couple of threads on other forums from guys that run the GEN111 that are getting a best figure of 13 ltr per 100, I wish mine was getting that :D but at the end of the day its all about gettin out and enjoying it

Timbo
18th June 2010, 09:49 AM
haha no worries mate. I'm not overly disappointed with the fuel economy. I'd like more power to go with the figures, but the big 6cyl patrols get far, far worse than me. Something like 22lt-30lt per 100... I think the 30lt/100 figure was on sand.. but that's just crazy. They go well though.

If I had the money I'd think about getting an LS1 or perhaps the rb30. They are both cheap engines.. I just can't be bothered with all the engineer certificate hassles and having to get adapters and modifying stuff... well, for the LS1 anyway.. the RB30 would drop in no sweat. Hmm.. might have to pull my rb30 out of my VL haha.

Russell1974
28th June 2010, 12:43 AM
Hey nice rig my mate has the 2.8 he changed his diff ratios (when he put his locker in) and his goes well, in your last pic is that a locked gate?

Russell1974
28th June 2010, 01:38 AM
Hey mate I just seen on a thread in another forum some people givin you a hard time about this I only asked as a mate of mine got a fine for being on the wrong side of a locked gate I mean no intention was only wandering

Timbo
28th June 2010, 09:13 AM
Hey mate I just seen on a thread in another forum some people givin you a hard time about this I only asked as a mate of mine got a fine for being on the wrong side of a locked gate I mean no intention was only wandering

Yes! It's the infamous "locked gate pic". I'm hoping to become an internet sensation... I'm totally enjoying my 15 minutes of fame. :p

It's been a great unintentional marketing tool for the site though. We have had some new members sign up from that thread and from what I've seen, they seem like good blokes.

I'd like to get a locker in the front of my 2.8.. would make so much difference. I'd like the ARB air lockers but they are just so expensive. The 2.8's go really well though. If they weren't such a slow boat on the road, i'd totally stick with them.

Nissan Kid
28th June 2010, 10:40 AM
Damm....How did i miss this.
Gotta love a White GU on black sunnies!
Looks great mate!

patch697
28th June 2010, 03:18 PM
Hay G I love the Rig mate so When you coming up to my place for the w/end so we can out off read together? I always wanted to go 4WDriving with someone famous.

Cheers
Paul

P.s The invite was not a joke BTW

troys 2.8gu
10th September 2010, 12:59 PM
Nice Truck G. The fuel economy on the 35's made mind up for me and I'll just go for the 33's. I can get upto 1100km out of the 2 tanks if I take it really easy. Looks like you have a few war scars aswell. Adds character I say. Nice work!!!
Troy

YNOT
10th September 2010, 03:46 PM
I'd completely forgotten about "that" photo, it caused quite a stir on the other forum. But as you said, great unintentional publicity.

Tony

Timbo
10th September 2010, 04:23 PM
Hey thanks guys. Haven't been around much, was nice to see the old girl got some interest. I'll have to update my thread with more pics soon.

patch697
10th September 2010, 05:59 PM
I'd completely forgotten about "that" photo, it caused quite a stir on the other forum. But as you said, great unintentional publicity.

Tony

Thay went completely silly over it I thought, (talk about your keyboard bushing). In the end it was just bloody ridiculous, IMO

Dollars18
11th September 2010, 09:06 AM
Sweet ride my friend. Its awsome how much go there 2.8L have!!! Mine was a bit sliggish at first, just put a 2.75" exhaust on, now UNSTOPABLE!!!!!!

Timbo
22nd September 2010, 01:34 PM
Some random pics I thought I'd share.

Some of when I rolled my GU the night before.. came back next morning early with a tow truck to collect it. Was a sad day lol.

There's one of me about to paint the back end after the roof was put on etc.

There's a pic of my two babies, my VL and the GU.

There's a couple of really nice poser shots where I thought i was going to bloody flip backwards. Heart was pounding and I was screaming out, TAKE A PICTURE!!

And lastly, a nice little camping spot we found at Walhalla.

Timbo
22nd September 2010, 01:34 PM
One more! ;)

Russell1974
22nd September 2010, 09:50 PM
Holy crap mate were, when did the roll over happen? and that camp spot is awsome camp spot along there are a few

Timbo
23rd September 2010, 08:19 AM
I rolled it at night at Larbortouche near Gembrook which is probably just over an hours drive from Melbourne for anyone who didn't know.

This happened about 2 years ago and it took me a year to get it back on the road. Virtually every weekend was taken up with fixing the old girl.

It's at the stage now where I just need to replace the drivers door and elec mirror and respray it. Been a long process!

Luckily for me, (unlucky at the time though!) she has a very low kay donk (about 12k) so it's been worth it. My mate is a panel beater and he helped me all the way through it. Measuring everything 3 times, straightening things, pulling frame into place. The damage looked far far worse in the pics than it was. Sure, it needed work but luckily it was a soft roll and the roof bared the brunt of the impact. The tow truck driver actually did more damage pulling it up the hill.

I want to fix it up and respray it but I also want a DPChip lol! The never ending quest for a bit more power.

Russell1974
23rd September 2010, 09:18 PM
So I guess you would be itchin to get out there then or do you have another bus

Timbo
23rd September 2010, 10:44 PM
well my other bus is my VLT but I don't drive it. It just sits there going to waste because I'm lazy and can't be arsed selling it.

BUt yeah, I try to get away occasionally. Been hard last couple years since all my mates sold their 4wd's.

msports180
24th September 2010, 10:25 PM
Ouch on the roll over.

What offset are your rims? Mine seem to stick out way more? mine are -44.

Timbo
26th September 2010, 03:41 PM
Not totally sure man.. For some reason -8 rings a bell but don't quote me.. could just be making that figure up from something else.

The 35's sat out a touch past the plastic guards which is technically illegal. They were boarder line with the flexi flares.

Oh and I don't think i'd bother with 35's again on the 2.8. Sure, the 2.8 is slower with them. It made no diff in the bush, it still performed awesomely.. but for the driving I do now (lost my nerve a bit) i think some really good 33's (muddies) will be fine. Maybe one day if I ever upgrade to a 4.2 or a 4.8 i'll get 35's or maybe 37's if i'm rich and get my nerve back.

Finly Owner
5th October 2010, 10:53 PM
Nice, but won't someone respray to an original one off colour of their own to stop the confusion of white patrols.

Timbo
12th October 2010, 04:27 PM
A nice dark green would be my pick.. but I can't be bothered spraying the door jambs and under the bonnet!

Chops
12th October 2010, 04:45 PM
That sucks Tim, I remember when I rolled my Landcruiser, I ended up in hospital for a few weeks and left with a skin graft.

Timbo
12th October 2010, 05:23 PM
Now that's a real OUCH! Sounds like you were lucky to get out of it as you did chops.

I was very lucky where I rolled it. I was probably doing about 30kmph or something.. very soft landing thankfully and 2 years of hard work and determination.

Chops
12th October 2010, 05:26 PM
You could say that. Ended up on its side at the bottom of a hill, with my arm squashed between the door and the road, and petrol leaking over my shoulder running down my arm from the tank under my seat.