PDA

View Full Version : Import (blacktop) td42 in MQ

BlueDog
14th October 2010, 10:36 PM
Hi Guys

Not sure where to put a question.

I have a MQ shorty with an imported blacktop td42 bought new in 2001. I have questions about piston oil squirters relating to adding a turbo.

Didnt think it would be right to post in MQ/MK forum being td42 and all...

Any ideas?

Cheers.

AB
14th October 2010, 11:10 PM
Ask the question here mate, It's all good!

Are you asking about what you need to do with the squirters after you add the turbo or?

YNOT
14th October 2010, 11:19 PM
I don't know for sure if naturally aspirated black top TD42's have oil squirters, but as long as you're not planning on going too crazy with massive turbos and huge amounts of boost and fuel, a standard black top will take a turbo no problem. I've done it on one of my previous Patrols.

Tony

BlueDog
14th October 2010, 11:21 PM
Hi AB,

Firstly I need to find out if the blacktop td42 have squirters. I have been researching this some time now and still haven't confirmed it. some say no only td42t have them, some say all td42 after 93 have them. I dont want to pull apart the engine to find out.

It would be helpful if I could find a full detailed spec sheet on the td42 series but no luck...

Edit- sorry Tony posted before reading your post.

BlueDog
14th October 2010, 11:35 PM
Good to hear that Tony,
But what type of turbo were you using? Was it water cooled? Did you have an intercooler?

My concern is...
I have picked up a turbo and manifold and all the bits from a wrecked 2006 td42t.
2006 td42t Factory turbo's aren't water cooled, apparently there is no need for it as they are intercooled. I don't have room for an intercooler and if i dont have squirters to keep the friction down Im looking at a hot running diesel which may end its life in a short amount of time!

YNOT
14th October 2010, 11:36 PM
Depending on how much room you have between your sump and front diff (mine had a 5 inch lift so I had heaps of room), it is possible to drop the sump off and have a look. Would only take a few hours, and you can braze in a turbo oil return line fitting while it's off. I also had to press a dent out of mine.

Tony

YNOT
14th October 2010, 11:41 PM
The turbo I fitted was a factory kit from a 2003 Patrol, which was water cooled. The water cooling is for the turbo itself, intercooling won't cool the turbo.
You can keep your diesel running cool by limiting your EGT's and possibly fitting an external engine oil cooler. As long as you keep your boost and fuel at sane levels you shouldn't have a problem.

Tony

BlueDog
14th October 2010, 11:52 PM
I might be confused but I thought water cooling in the turbo was to keep the jacket cool (oil keeping the internals lubed and cool) and in turn keeping the air at a moderate temp. Non water cooled would blow higher temp air which would cause less efficient burning of fuel.

2006 td42t has an intercooler so no need for a water cooled turbo..

Like I said I may be confused...................

I had planned on only running bout 10psi just to help get through the dunes, up hills etc..
Good idea on the oil cooler might have to look into it.

YNOT
15th October 2010, 12:02 AM
I'm no expert on turbo's either, but it's the compression of the air inside the compressor housing that heats the air (remember the old bike pump example). Some heat would be transfered from the hot turbo, but I would expect this to be minimul.

Tony

BlueDog
15th October 2010, 12:08 AM
hmmm.. your right, it would be minimal. Im getting too concerned on the little things. If I keep this up I'll never get this thing on!

Low to mid boost - oil cooler -pyro guage and I should be good.

Cheers

BlueDog
15th October 2010, 12:13 AM
Tony,
Another quick question if I may.

The oil feed for the turbo you used, was that a solid rod? Mine is and I have to try and mod it to a flexi hose to take it to the oil pressure sensor for the feed. Did you have the same problem?

YNOT
15th October 2010, 12:23 AM
Yes it was a solid pipe, but I couldn't use it. My block was not drilled into the oil gallery at that location. I had my local hydraulics shop custom make a flexible braided line that hooked into a T-piece at the oil pressure sensor feed. It utilized the bit of the pipe that bolts to the turbo-Exactly what you're planning.

Tony