PDA

View Full Version : Forum Suggestion about 2 post limit?

AB
14th October 2010, 08:47 PM
Hi guys, need some suggestions to be thrown around this thread if possible.

What are your honest thoughts about the 2 post rule?

At the start of the forum 6 months ago we put it on to generate more chatting which I think has worked but i'm sure you are all sick and tired of people signing up just to get the manuals and being too lazy to even put 1 minute of effort into creating an introduction, etc and posting a two word "very nice" or "does this count as 2 posts"...lol

Should we just remove it or keep it as it is?

Getting to the point where I would now rather people post information because they want to but would like to hear some comments from people who appreciate everyones help and input into this forum?

Chops
14th October 2010, 09:01 PM
As much as I like to help people out (I think that's obvious), its the ones that deserve it that get my attention. Over the years I have found more information, and faster by using Google before asking questions, although even with the information in front of you it can still be difficult.

I say make it harder to get the manuals before disappearing.

DX grunt
14th October 2010, 09:04 PM
I say make it harder to get the manuals before disappearing.

X 2. I agree with Chops

AB
14th October 2010, 09:10 PM
I'd like to see people needing a "Thankyou" from a member, mod or admin so that they can get access to the manuals. That way the person needs to contribute something useful here before they can access the valuable resources they are after. It shouldn't be too difficult to offer something useful, helpful or entertaining. And we wouldn't need to be too strict about it, just acknowledge that they have made an effort before giving them the green light.

Rohan, Thats a very very good idea mate....I really like that idea!!!

Yep, agreed Chops...I have already gone through my monthly quota for bandwidth in 1 week on a silver plan and now I am now on the biggest plan they offer "GOLD"...lol

Seriously muncing the memory these days and it would be nice to get something back from it.....Nice advice guys!!!

AB
14th October 2010, 09:23 PM
Over the years I have found more information, and faster by using Google before asking questions

Chops, all of the information you have ever needed is found right HERE (http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/)...lol

NissanGQ4.2
14th October 2010, 09:24 PM
i was going to suggest upping the post to you the other day Andy, when i worked out how many members joined for the 2 post counts to get the many, very disheartening to see the figures. But i figured upping the post you would just get more of the "very nice" or "does this count as .... posts" so didn't suggest it.

Agree with Rohan and chops. Also think you should send out as group mail out for re activation of there account if post count is 2 or under, and cancel account if not replied too. May be less members, but at least the ones that are there are contributing to the forum :)

AB
14th October 2010, 09:27 PM
i was going to suggest upping the post to you the other day Andy, when i worked out how many members joined for the 2 post counts to get the many, very disheartening to see the figures. But i figured upping the post you would just get more of the "very nice" or "does this count as .... posts" so didn't suggest it.

Agree with Rohan and chops. Also think you should send out as group mail out for re activation of there account if post count is 2 or under, and cancel account if not replied too. May be less members, but at least the ones that are there are contributing to the forum :)

What's interesting is around 50% of the members have never even made a post so I really don't understand why you would bother to sign up in the first place, I don't understand???

Do they see the 2 post rule and get scared to post on a public forum or just too lazy....Always wondered why???

NissanGQ4.2
14th October 2010, 09:41 PM
What's interesting is around 50% of the members have never even made a post so I really don't understand why you would bother to sign up in the first place, I don't understand???

Do they see the 2 post rule and get scared to post on a public forum or just too lazy....Always wondered why???

yeh i noticed the same and though why would you bother to sign up and then not make the 2 posts just 2 get the manuals............strange......strange......stran ge.......
I signed up just 2 get the manuals....now you cant get rid of me.......even when some spammer uses my ip addy and i get deleted....I come back *LMAO*
I'm not that good at mechanics but share my lack of knowledge when i can, and try to make up for it in other area's like the members map :)

Finly Owner
14th October 2010, 09:44 PM
I agree with all above. I personally had never been on forums, didn't know "who,when,where,why, how or what happened" in forums. I was looking for info, and was only too happy to join. If the people on here had been jerks, I would never had stayed around. If people want something for nothing, then give two posts get what you want.

NissanGQ4.2
14th October 2010, 09:44 PM
If you go with the "Thankyou" suggestion, probably best if it's left to the mods or admin. That way you can keep control of who's doing the authorising.

Need a "Suppppeeeeerrrrrr Doooooopppppeeeeeerrrrrr Thankyou for AB and the mods

Finly Owner
14th October 2010, 09:50 PM
If you go with the "Thankyou" suggestion, probably best if it's left to the mods or admin. That way you can keep control of who's doing the authorising.

Definately

Finly Owner
14th October 2010, 09:51 PM

I agree too
Ross

lol

Woof
14th October 2010, 09:56 PM
Plassy and Chops are correct and both have great ideas, Plassy - with the Thank You (maybe not from just the Admin and Mods but also a selected few others)
Chops - with the Make it Harder (combine to 2 and see what happens)
There will always be people out there that just "Use" and just don't care, but there are also a lot more that like to "Give" before receiving (I would like to think)

WOW, I just read this post before posting it..................Has The Dogman lost his bite:confused::confused:.................Oh No he has not, so just do the right thing everyone and you won't get bitten, it's not that hard to be nice.

patch697
14th October 2010, 09:57 PM
Love all the ideas suggested above & was only talking to Ab the other day about how to combat all the rubbishy short posts that have been going on as a result of the manuals download so please keep the ideas coming guys.

Cheers
Paul

AB
14th October 2010, 09:59 PM
Yes, agreed otherwise they'll just sign up again and thank themselves..haha

I have asked the question on the Vbulletin forum so hopefully get a response in a day or so.

We have usergroups in this program so if it can be done Ill just create a group of members that have a post count over 100 are the only ones that if they thank the member it allows them to DL.

otherwise, I'm sure we will miss people's handy posts and they won't get thanked by the right people, etc.

YNOT
14th October 2010, 10:07 PM
Plassy and Chops are correct and both have great ideas, Plassy - with the Thank You (maybe not from just the Admin and Mods but also a selected few others)

I agree with the idea of needing a "thank you" to get access to manuals. And I like doggy's idea as well, maybe any of the dirty dozen can give a thank you.

Tony

Finly Owner
14th October 2010, 10:11 PM
I see the "Dirty Dozen" has stuck

YNOT
14th October 2010, 10:12 PM
It has a nice ring to it!

Tony

Chops
14th October 2010, 10:13 PM
Look some people just need a manual to help them out of a sticky situation and that's fine, Unfortunately there are many people who just take sh!t and run, not considering other people, and if THEY took the time to do their bit, the world WOULD be a better place.

I moved from another forum to here, because I am fed up with seeing people ask honest questions, then seeing 40 or 50 people view that post, and no bugger has the decency to reply, that's not a community I want to be a part of.

There are actually quite a few options to limit "Hit and Runners" but its really only which option you want to go with.

Chops
14th October 2010, 10:34 PM
It has a nice ring to it!

Tony

It has, and I want to find the bugger who found out I'm Dirty.........:p

Woof
14th October 2010, 10:35 PM
I agree with the idea of needing a "thank you" to get access to manuals. And I like doggy's idea as well, maybe any of the dirty dozen can give a thank you.

Tony

Beat me to it Tony, The Dirty Dozen sounds good to me...........Do we have a dozen yet or are we the Terrible Ten?
Maybe Tim should rope a couple more into The Dirty Dozen.

YNOT
14th October 2010, 10:47 PM
I think it's still the terrible ten. Tim might need to review the active members list and promote 2 more to make the dozen. Then maybe under our avatars where our status is (expert, freak, moderator etc) we could have "one of the dirty dozen"!
What have you started Tim???

Tony

Finly Owner
14th October 2010, 10:48 PM
Well Doggie I have place out the recruitment in dirty dozen thread.

trollman
15th October 2010, 09:57 AM
over the last three years i've joined each of the patrol forums; and yes i have given up on making friends. i met some people that are really decent and am happy for that. but i just dont put in the effort anymore. in particular the reason pointed out by 'chops'. i now focus my effort on the people in my immediate circle that i know are genuine. i did need some info on the fuel system; but i think you should note that i have been a member on this particular forum since june 2010. dont really consider my self a 'hit & runner' just a little more discerning as to where i apply effort for others.

remember the more rules made, the more to be broken; better off staying free and initiate the contact yourselves. people will feel welcome if you ask questions of them, rather they trying join what may be a 'cliche'. very intimidating trying to join a group of people.

just the otherside which may need consideration.

trollman

NickBGU4
15th October 2010, 11:01 AM
Sounds like a good idea, and I totally agree with both Chops & trollman. There are any number of threads that people can participate in without having in depth knowledge about our Patrols. Unlike a few other forums that I won't mention, this one is open and friendly and nobody will have a go at you for offering your opinion.

patch697
15th October 2010, 11:21 AM
over the last three years i've joined each of the patrol forums; and yes i have given up on making friends. i met some people that are really decent and am happy for that. but i just dont put in the effort anymore. in particular the reason pointed out by 'chops'. i now focus my effort on the people in my immediate circle that i know are genuine. i did need some info on the fuel system; but i think you should note that i have been a member on this particular forum since june 2010. dont really consider my self a 'hit & runner' just a little more discerning as to where i apply effort for others.

remember the more rules made, the more to be broken; better off staying free and initiate the contact yourselves. people will feel welcome if you ask questions of them, rather they trying join what may be a 'cliche'. very intimidating trying to join a group of people.

just the otherside which may need consideration.

trollman

I do understand what your saying in this post & agree in principle but please take some time & read some of the introductions... We pride ourselves on being as friendly & welcoming to new members as we can to dispel any feelings of intimidation & to also dispel &\any clicky club type mentality. You don't have to earn your welcome here, you are welcome to join in on anything from the time you join up & how much or how little you do so is completely up to you.

The more active members & Management of this forum have worked very hard to build up all the information on this site & the Manuals are a big asset to anyone who owns a Patrol. All anybody here is asking is to please just contribute something to the forum in return for all the hard work that gone into making these assets available to freely download in the first place.

Maybe its all the carrion that does go on in other forums that we hear so much about that sometimes keeps ppl on the back foot & I hope thay take a little time & have a read of this forum to see this just not the case here.

Thanks very much for your post BTW its this type of input that helps us keep this forum an open one.

Cheers
Paul

trollman
15th October 2010, 12:42 PM
if you note that someone does download the manuals, it may be good opportunity to write something as "Noticed you joined the forum to obtain the manuals if you're having any problems with your vehicle, or would like more information on such awesome reliable vehicle, myself and many others on this forum would be the happy to help with advice etc to resolve any issues". that would be a far more encouraging way to maintain members and there commitment to the forum.

The manuals are a golden opportunity to gain members, get to know the potential member and establish a great working relationship.

Timbo
15th October 2010, 01:19 PM
I reckon you should zip the manuals, password them and make it so people have to come back and say something constructive in a thread to receive the password! haha.. ahh im just sadistic though.

Some good suggestions so far.

I personally think the post count should be upped to 25 or 50 before you can download the manuals. The forum is at the stage now where we don't need every man and his dog signing up for numbers. Initially, we made the forum accessible to everyone to get some numbers in. AB worked hard on getting the name out there. I think the forum is doing really well and it's important to keep the quality it offers and not so much the quantity. While we appreciate everyone who signs up and says a few things, it is disheartening when you see people sign up purely for the manuals and give nothing back.

I've seen plenty of forums where you have to reach a certain post count to get access to various other luxuries. It's easily implemented. People are a lot less likely to post 25 one word posts to get the manuals. It's time consuming and AB will pick it up instantly and can delete that member as it's classed as spam.

I think it's the easiest option and will lessen the bandwidth usage. Also, it has the added benefit of making people become active. I would think people are less likely to quit the forum after 25 posts, especially when they become involved with all of the great personalities on here. It's not just a 4wd forum, it's also a social group. I can post 2 things and not care if I quit the forum. After 25 posts or more, there's a bigger chance that I've actually made an online friend and had time to look at the whole forum, not just one thread that has a file to download.

patch697
15th October 2010, 01:33 PM
I reckon you should zip the manuals, password them and make it so people have to come back and say something constructive in a thread to receive the password! haha.. ahh im just sadistic though.

Some good suggestions so far.

I personally think the post count should be upped to 25 or 50 before you can download the manuals. The forum is at the stage now where we don't need every man and his dog signing up for numbers. Initially, we made the forum accessible to everyone to get some numbers in. AB worked hard on getting the name out there. I think the forum is doing really well and it's important to keep the quality it offers and not so much the quantity. While we appreciate everyone who signs up and says a few things, it is disheartening when you see people sign up purely for the manuals and give nothing back.

I've seen plenty of forums where you have to reach a certain post count to get access to various other luxuries. It's easily implemented. People are a lot less likely to post 25 one word posts to get the manuals. It's time consuming and AB will pick it up instantly and can delete that member as it's classed as spam.

I think it's the easiest option and will lessen the bandwidth usage. Also, it has the added benefit of making people become active. I would think people are less likely to quit the forum after 25 posts, especially when they become involved with all of the great personalities on here. It's not just a 4wd forum, it's also a social group. I can post 2 things and not care if I quit the forum. After 25 posts or more, there's a bigger chance that I've actually made an online friend and had time to look at the whole forum, not just one thread that has a file to download.

Give this post ten gold stars as I think it right on the money.

Absolutely brilliant.

Timbo
15th October 2010, 02:54 PM
AB: Thanks Timbo *clicks thanks* You are a champ, what would I do without you?

Timbo: Probably cry. :D

AB
15th October 2010, 02:58 PM
Well there is no plugin for the thank you suggestion unfortunately Rohan....Great idea though!

I have now moved all of the manuals into their own category.

Members will not be able to go to that category until they have made 25 posts.

But, anyone can now view any attachments on the entire forum which should help.

The error that shows up in that manuals section if you have less than 25 posts explains the rule in a polite manner so we'll see what happens.

We may get some extremely rude people putting up 25 posts of woffle I'm sure, but we'll see how we go.

I'm hoping it works like Timbo's suggestion above!

AB
15th October 2010, 03:14 PM
if you note that someone does download the manuals, it may be good opportunity to write something as "Noticed you joined the forum to obtain the manuals if you're having any problems with your vehicle, or would like more information on such awesome reliable vehicle, myself and many others on this forum would be the happy to help with advice etc to resolve any issues". that would be a far more encouraging way to maintain members and there commitment to the forum.

The manuals are a golden opportunity to gain members, get to know the potential member and establish a great working relationship.

Thanks for your suggestions trollman, i like this part you wrote!

When I first started this I used to personally PM every single member who signed up and wrote a detailed personalised message about what I'm trying to achieve with this forum and tried extremly hard to build a friendly relationship with every single person who signed up.

Unfortunately only 5% replied (which does pee you off a bit after the countless hours put into this forum) and in my admin panel i just sat back and watched them go straight to the manuals section and dissapear, never to return.

Don't get me wrong, totally understand why they do this but personally I have spent 1000's of hours searching every nook and cranny around the deepest parts of the web trying to find certain manuals to help people here. This forum now saves hundreds of people from trying to find these manuals as we rank very well in Google but after all this hard work put into this forum it would just be nice to grow it even bigger and better!

I think the two post rule really did work and I think Timbo could be right if they start to post things and build relationships they may want to stay around. I would hope to think the people who only just want manuals and dissapear may just move at the start and list it as the too hard basket which is fine by me at the end of the day.

Leave it for a few weeks and see what happens I guess!

AB
15th October 2010, 08:12 PM
I agree mate, really enjoyed having you guys throw some ideas around and mucho appreciato!!!

NissanGQ4.2
15th October 2010, 08:39 PM
how about infecting the manuals with a virus????? If the member doesn't make 25 posts within a certain time frame there hard drive is formatted, *LMAO*...............am i evil...............yes i am!

Finly Owner
15th October 2010, 09:39 PM
Well to all concerned with making the final draft of new 25post rules, congrats I believe it's the right way to go. Now I can only see 1 problem and someone may be able to do something with it.

If you were new to the scary forum thing on the internet and didn't know what it was and whether there was a chance of getting a virus or something it may not be worth you risking it for some info.

Can we put up at the forum entrance a link "if your new to forums, what........) and give some reassurance and first time forum user instructions.

As I knew nothing about forums when I came looking for info on exhaust sizes. And I have others in my age group that have no idea what I'm talking about. So it may not be silly to something to put people at ease with our forum.

patch697
15th October 2010, 09:55 PM
Well to all concerned with making the final draft of new 25post rules, congrats I believe it's the right way to go. Now I can only see 1 problem and someone may be able to do something with it.

If you were new to the scary forum thing on the internet and didn't know what it was and whether there was a chance of getting a virus or something it may not be worth you risking it for some info.

Can we put up at the forum entrance a link "if your new to forums, what........) and give some reassurance and first time forum user instructions.

As I knew nothing about forums when I came looking for info on exhaust sizes. And I have others in my age group that have no idea what I'm talking about. So it may not be silly to something to put people at ease with our forum.

This is a very good point Tim & we already have some info in place for this type of thing But I will to talk to AB about updating it & making it more user friendly for first timers..

Bigcol
16th October 2010, 03:28 PM

well now, in my case, by the time I have read the resent posts, I am tired and my head is spinning from either laughter or amazement - plus, I can only access when I get home on R&R..........

cheers

Woof
16th October 2010, 07:24 PM
well now, in my case, by the time I have read the resent posts, I am tired and my head is spinning from either laughter or amazement - plus, I can only access when I get home on R&R..........

cheers

Col you must have this forum mixed up with another one mate, we are very serious people here:049::trink13:

Finly Owner
16th October 2010, 11:07 PM

cheers

At least you keep checking in, that's what we are hoping our members will do.

Bigcol
16th October 2010, 11:23 PM
true, I keep a checkin' in
and only comment if I think it is worth it........... usually what I'm thinking has already been said by the time I get to the end of the "discussion"
Col you must have this forum mixed up with another one mate, we are very serious people here
Oh ofcourse we are all serious people......... never had a doubt in my mind..... (mind you there's usually not much in there anyway, let alone a doubt, or a brain cell, or a thought.........)

cheers

Finly Owner
16th October 2010, 11:27 PM
and only comment if I think it is worth it........... usually what I'm thinking has already been said by the time I get to the end of the "discussion"
Col you must have this forum mixed up with another one mate, we are very serious people here
Oh ofcourse we are all serious people......... never had a doubt in my mind..... (mind you there's usually not much in there anyway, let alone a doubt, or a brain cell, or a thought.........)

cheers

lmao.................................

Timbo
17th October 2010, 01:26 PM

cheers

haha think you'll fit in nicely here mate. Hope you stick around!

Maxhead
18th October 2010, 05:43 PM
Good suggestions allround and an excellent outcome. We'll see how it goes

Bigcol
19th October 2010, 09:49 PM
the other thing that just popped into my head is.........
oh, damn it, its gone....

if you have a look on the UK & some European sites,(both Nissan & Toyota) you have to be a PAIDUP member, before you can even access the forum.........
something I think suxs, but I'm a cheap bugger
so I do believe that by just limiting it to 25 posts or whatever, we are still WAY ahead of others.......

I also understand Trollman's points, some people watch the "banter" between people, and either not understand it or feel intimidated by it, and think that they could NOT contribute to the same level and leave disheartened
Then there is the people who, as has been said, are not comfortable with forums and the way they are or are Techno-phob's who struggle to master emails let alone commit to revealing themselves to the "masses"

there is a forum that I have been a member of for over 2 years, but have maybe made 5 posts (intro, answered Q's and maybe the odd answer to something I did actually know of.) mainly because I keep forgetting the link hahahahahahaha
(have to clean up my favorites folder one day)

still, all in all, the funny thing about democracy is that its the MAJORITY rule, not the minority
true enough too many rules, and someone will always try to push the edge, because they think its their right.
but at the end of the day if it is for the interest of the Forum then it is not bad. it is only bad when its in the interest of certain sections "clicks" groups individuals etc

I think you guys are heading in the right direction
and I applaud the reasoning

cheers

Finly Owner
19th October 2010, 09:59 PM
Very well said Big Col. And may I say as member of this forum it's a pleasure to have one of our newest members contributing such posts. I know it has taken (shall I call them) the founding members led by AB, a lot of time effort and not to mention the money AB has personally contributed to make this forum what it is today.

I for one will invite people to join, and I will also strive to lead by example of how to interact on here, in a polite and caring way. I hope this forum is kept running for years to come .