PDA

View Full Version : bull bar modifications

tassie wombat
11th July 2012, 10:36 PM
can air bag compatible bull bars be structurally modified/strenthened without altering how the air bags are set off? want to fit a highmount to a factory steel winch bar,chassis mounts needs to be strengthened and centre section of bumper needs to be cut and moved out.cheers

threedogs
11th July 2012, 11:17 PM
You can't interfere with airbag sensors, might not have depth to suit the hi mount plus you need to cut half your grill out, only seen it done on comp trucks, try sourcing a airbag compatible bar to suit the hi mount, like Millweld, or Cheesy, Aroc maybe. Sell old bar on fleabay' Millweld bar and matching sliders would be cool'

Winnie
12th July 2012, 06:34 AM
Millweld aren't airbag compatible from memory

Tappa tappa

Xtreme 4x4 Sport
12th July 2012, 07:18 AM
The law states, on an airbag vehicle you cannot modify the bull bar in anyway.

Cheers
David

taslucas
12th July 2012, 08:10 AM
Check to see if this one is airbag compatible :http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/glenorchy/auto-body-parts/gu-patrol-bullbar/1004272485
Its in tas

Winnie
12th July 2012, 08:11 AM
Millweld aren't airbag compatible from memory

Tappa tappa

Just checked on this, and they definitely aren't airbag compliant.

tassie wombat
12th July 2012, 11:48 AM
So can anyone tell me where the airbag sensor is on an 04 st wagon ? Because there is nothing on the bar !

threedogs
12th July 2012, 12:17 PM
You can't disconnect sensors or alter the crash can, all the comp trucks with the mod you want to do had no reg. look for airbag compatible bar that will fit that winch, still think the Aroc MIGHT be suitable, through OP LOC I think?

nissannewby
12th July 2012, 01:12 PM
Any particular reason you are wanting to go highmount. As its been said you can not modify and ADR air bag approved bar as then its not original. I would be calling around to the bigger mobs like tjm or arb and see if they do a bar that is compatible and airbag approved. Nissan is a little strange as I own an 04 ST ute and i has no airbags and by my undetstanding these are on the wagons?

threedogs
12th July 2012, 01:16 PM
Just looking at the readers rigs on home page. theres a GU from QLD running a high mount with a tube bar of so sort, not sure if it was ute or not but worth trolling through the pics to send him a PM

think Knackers has one too

tassie wombat
13th July 2012, 08:04 PM
Any particular reason you are wanting to go highmount. As its been said you can not modify and ADR air bag approved bar as then its not original. I would be calling around to the bigger mobs like tjm or arb and see if they do a bar that is compatible and airbag approved. Nissan is a little strange as I own an 04 ST ute and i has no airbags and by my undetstanding these are on the wagons?

Had a highmount on the gq I had,in comparison to low mounts ive had,I think they are a better winch,quicker,hold more cable,and you've gotta love that clickity clickity noise they make !

nissannewby
13th July 2012, 08:11 PM
Fair enough. I think your best bet will be to try and source a bar that can accept a hi mount thats adr approved as modifying yours could lead to a very expensive exercise if ever in an incident.