PDA

View Full Version : a squeaky noise from right hand wheel

pngboy45
14th October 2010, 12:17 AM
Hey Guys'

Got a '96 wagon thats developed a bit of a 'rubbing' or 'Grinding' noise that sounds as if its coming from the front right side wheel but it only does it when making a right hand turn from a standing start, straighten up and roll for some distance at a low kph and its there. I also notice that it happens at high speeds as well, around the 8o kph. But the funny thing is that as soon as I touch the brakes even a light touch it goes away and as soon as i lift foot of brakes it comes on. And its intermittent too.. And i have noticed that it really only happens after travelling about 10- 30 kilometers after everything has warmed up.

I did take the wheel off and clean a bunch of mud and crap out of there and I cant see any 'clean spots' where the tyres may be rubbing i took it to Ftgully nissan and they dont sem to know what it is either but boy it gets loud. I have changed bearings, pads, and all that stuff.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

patch697
14th October 2010, 09:46 AM
This may be a long shot but have you checked your CV joint? it may be worth a look.

& also keep in mind that noise travels in a full chassis so what sounds like its coming from one spot may not be the case.

pngboy45
14th October 2010, 06:23 PM
Hi, Yeah checked all the cv joints and all ok! the noise is definetley coming from right front wheel.

YNOT
14th October 2010, 11:29 PM
Did you change the bearings ,pads etc in an effort to get rid of the noise?
The fact that the noise occurs when you're turning right, and goes away when you touch the brakes, would have me checking hubs seals to make sure they are properly fitted and lubricated, brake backing plates to make sure they are not rubbing on the disc anywhere, and rechecking the brake pads.

Tony

pngboy45
16th October 2010, 03:09 PM
will check backing plate! but the last time i had a look it wasnt rubbing. I will give $500 bucks to anyone who gets this one right! This is really starting to piss me off! Its not only happening when turning right but when im traveling along at 60 kph and even up to bigger speeds and also slow. I cant seem to figure why as soon as i touch the brakes the noise goes. Just got it back from Ferntreegully nissan and its still doing it. And they pull everything of the right hand front side and all they saw was some dirt and crap behing the dust seal and then they drove it for about 14 kms never heard anything and thought it was fine. But once i received it back and drove about 30 thats when all the trouble started again. Here is a challenge for those guys out there. Coz im scrtaching my head.

Cheers

Chris

Finly Owner
17th October 2010, 12:21 AM
is it a low pad indicator? (it's the thin plate most people throw away) when pads are low it touches the disc and usually sounds like a scratchy noise.

pngboy45
17th October 2010, 10:36 AM
hi there, No its not a low pad indicator because there is still 3/4 of the pad left and you would think that nissan would have checked that whilst having everything apart. Thanks for the advice anyway :)

Big6
29th November 2010, 07:04 PM
Hi I'm new to this forum, I have exactly the same problem, but the squeaky noise is coming from my front left wheel. I have a 6 wheeler (lazy) and every wheel bearing brakes etc has been checked or replaced but it still happens intermittently. If it happened at slow speed and all the time just maybe I could find the problem. Today I was directed into having the front discs machined to give them a not such a shiny surface and to use a softer pad, would be very interested to see what the forum has on that

Jonk
4th December 2010, 09:41 PM
Had something similar. Turned out to be a small stone wedged behind the backing plate & rubbing on the hub. Noise disappeared when brakes were applied. Had to remove the hub to find & correct the problem.

will check backing plate! but the last time i had a look it wasnt rubbing. I will give $500 bucks to anyone who gets this one right! This is really starting to piss me off! Its not only happening when turning right but when im traveling along at 60 kph and even up to bigger speeds and also slow. I cant seem to figure why as soon as i touch the brakes the noise goes. Just got it back from Ferntreegully nissan and its still doing it. And they pull everything of the right hand front side and all they saw was some dirt and crap behing the dust seal and then they drove it for about 14 kms never heard anything and thought it was fine. But once i received it back and drove about 30 thats when all the trouble started again. Here is a challenge for those guys out there. Coz im scrtaching my head.

Cheers

Chris

Ruby
2nd April 2011, 11:42 PM
I have the same issue except that its the rear driver side wheel. Mine is only evident at low speeds.

I pulled off the caliper and checked for a stone in the pads - no joy. I also noticed that my pads are pretty worn and that the discs has some significant grooving. I'll be replacing both in the hope that it gets rid of the noise.
TOOR

street76
13th August 2013, 07:10 PM

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris my gu patrol has the same issue did you manage to resolve the problem?

street76
17th August 2013, 12:41 AM
Finally solve my squeaking issue, turns out the bottom brake clip was broken edge was rubbing against the disc. Not a wheel bearing which proved a waste of time because the old bearing was fine.

Leason learnt take the time to look for the problem before jumping to a blind conclusion.