PDA

View Full Version : Awning light

threedogs
10th July 2012, 10:29 AM
Just received my LED weatherproof light strip from FLEABAY. It has 600 LEDs on this 5mtr strip, and as you can cut to size all the better. just going to solder a lead and merit plug and some heat shrink to it to plug into back of Patrol. I'll put some pics up when its done. Already have same LED strip in my MAN Land, awesome light output, so should be good. Cheap too

HammerBuilder
13th July 2012, 11:37 PM
Hey threedogs can you give us the fleabay sellers name so others can get the same type especially if they are of good quality as there is so much crap out there on the market & every1 loves to save $$$$

Cheers TonyD

threedogs
14th July 2012, 06:51 AM
No Probs, the sellers name is "niceforu365" light throws out 600 lumens and price is around $20, The off cuts could be used for the cargo area or to light up area when you open the door like on another thread. Also check their LED auto globes.

oncedisturbed
14th July 2012, 08:53 PM
Cheers 3 dogs, got some from over here $37 for 5m roll of 800 lumen, i think a bit to bright for the awning, gonna look at putting a dimmer in

threedogs
14th July 2012, 08:59 PM
Dimmer or a PIR or auto on/off were $10 each. I have remote controll dimmer for the general camp lighting about $10 to I think. Wish I knew how to put pics on. My camp light was featrured in 4x4 aust mag 2 issues back July, it's the size of a tennis ball and 800-900 lumens. Great little light.

threedogs
15th July 2012, 12:30 PM
picked up what I needed at Jaycar this morning, 2 core flex in round rubber outer sleeve, some heat shrink and a male Merit plug cause, IMO cig plugs are useless and fail consistantly.

Can't see the lumens being a problem as my back will be facing it most of the time, then again I like it bright around camp
The dimmer is for later in the night

MEGOMONSTER
31st July 2012, 07:57 PM
Have you finished the job yet, would like to see it.

threedogs
5th September 2012, 09:27 AM
Yes Mega I've finished it, but did not know how to put pics here, all good now though.
Pretty easy to do, I'll put pics up later when its dark as well. I like the out come, looks neat.
Just need to cut cable tie. I like it bright less chance of tripping over something. As I said light will be behind me anyway.
Insects may be a problem as they love led lights, we did a test one weekend, its not the heat, just the light they love
We shall see

threedogs
16th September 2012, 10:05 AM
Been thinking about this light since I've finished it, and reckon it may be too bright at night, soooo
as you see in the pic I have enough room to run a 2nd strip, this has 60 red leds a meters not 120 like the white.
I'll see if there is enough room to run a small on/off/on toggle switch with a rubber boot to waterproof it.
The RED is supposed to aid night vision, not sure how this will work when the wobbly boots kick in late at night. LOL

P4trol
16th September 2012, 10:34 PM
What happened to fitting the dimmer?

Tipsy-tap

MudRunnerTD
16th September 2012, 10:58 PM
Go the Dimmer 3dogs. I fitted a dimmer to mine on my awning and all my mates thought i was a wanker when i turned up with it. "Dimmer?? Yeah right"

camped for 10 nights and used the awning and LEDs every night and Everyone! Everyone was convinced by the end of the trip that the Dimmer was Awesome!

Go the Dimmer!

This is what i fitted

Inline 12v dimmer (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Inline-12-24-Volt-3-Amp-Dimmer-LED-Flexible-Light-Strips-DC-Jack-/251090368662?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7626f896)

Yendor
16th September 2012, 11:09 PM
Go the Dimmer 3dogs. I fitted a dimmer to mine on my awning and all my mates thought i was a wanker when i turned up with it. "Dimmer?? Yeah right"

camped for 10 nights and used the awning and LEDs every night and Everyone! Everyone was convinced by the end of the trip that the Dimmer was Awesome!

Go the Dimmer!

This is what i fitted

Inline 12v dimmer (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Inline-12-24-Volt-3-Amp-Dimmer-LED-Flexible-Light-Strips-DC-Jack-/251090368662?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7626f896)

How bad do the LEDs flicker when using the dimmer?

MudRunnerTD
16th September 2012, 11:16 PM
Not at all

threedogs
17th September 2012, 07:22 AM
ok ok here's what I'm going to do.
I'll fit a Merit plug and socket to the Dimmer unit then I can use it INLINE
with the awning light, from the rear of Patrol
Can also use it on any other LEDs I use around camp
Will put pic of what I mean using 12v pir.
I use a dimmer at camp on the camp light.
Poles are 3mtrs high, use one one camper, one on a base pole in camp
square one fits on top of Patrol.
So as you see we dont want for lighting at camp.
Plus theres another LED strip over Prep table as well as a wire rack underneath for frypan and pot storage
Great table IMO

Winnie
17th September 2012, 08:08 AM
How bad do the LEDs flicker when using the dimmer?

That would really depend on the quality of the LEDs.

MudRunnerTD
17th September 2012, 10:25 AM
That would really depend on the quality of the LEDs.

Cheap Chinese 5m strip lighting cut to length and no dramas.

Winnie
17th September 2012, 10:38 AM
That's pretty good then, most cheap LEDs won't dim.

threedogs
17th September 2012, 10:52 AM
Here's what I'll make up, it can then be used INLINE on any of my led lights.
This is a motion sensor, but only to show what'll look like with dimmer.[same size]

Pic is only simulated

P4trol
17th September 2012, 01:18 PM
The dimmer I bought must have been made by the same mob. It has the same beige case as the purple you have (same size). Thinking of taking it out and mounting the variable resister through the trim.

Tipsy-tap

P4trol
18th September 2012, 12:31 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/09/76.jpg

Tipsy-tap

threedogs
3rd October 2012, 03:58 PM
Finally received my dimmer, same as P4trols', wiring it as an independent unit. Now I can use the dimmer on any light in camp, as as you can see its the same as the PIR switch, i reckon its a win win.
BUT wont be able to try at camp for a few weeks as most know. anyway I like it
Have the same LED strip in my manland, I 've got solar back yard, works a treat 10/10

P4trol
4th October 2012, 07:46 AM
There is a bit of slack on the dimmer knob (variable resister)

It now looks like this...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/27.jpg

Tipsy-tap

threedogs
4th October 2012, 06:07 PM
Like where you put it, but I'm gunna try on different lights around camp. sort of depends on the time of night to,
and if the insects are out. Works on all the led lights here so alls good.

threedogs
5th October 2012, 02:43 PM
Received my red 5mt x 300 led strip today, going to fit this next to the white 600 led strip light,
regardless of dimmer, its still a white light. thinking it might still attract insects etc, I'll run the red led
through a two way toggle fitted with a rubber boot over toggle to weatherproof it Can still use Dimmer
thats the beauty of being able to use it inline on any light..

P4trol
5th October 2012, 02:58 PM
I think it's yellow that doesn't attract the insects?

Red will make colours hard to define.

UV LEDs for disco...

Tipsy-tap

threedogs
5th October 2012, 03:15 PM
This may sound odd,We tried LED and Normal Versa light at camp one time, made no difference. conclusion. they like light not warmth
Yeah they say Yellow, One mob even markets lights stating this.
Red is supposed to greatly enhance night vision, and anything that stops wobbly boot syndrome has to be good.
I can only try and see what mates and friends say, then put results here, Got a RGB 12v flood light, yellow makes no difference with that. We'll see
answer has to be out there, I'll string up the red tonight and see if anything happens

Winnie
5th October 2012, 03:23 PM
I don't understand how red light is good for night vision... we sell torches at work that have a red light as well as normal white ones "so you can see at night" ummmm it's a frockin torch!!

MEGOMONSTER
5th October 2012, 03:28 PM
The red light is not necessarily for vision at night but aids when when a normal colour light with momentary blindness.
ie. when you change from red light to white light your eyes will not need to adjust, as they do going from darkness to light you have momentary blindness waiting for your eyes to adjust. And the better reason for having a red light is insects are less attracted to it as they can't see it as we'll.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........