PDA

View Full Version : GU ST - is vibration common

BradWill
9th July 2012, 08:22 AM
Just checking if there is a common known problem with GU ute having a vibration through the steeering at 90 K's /hr

scotty83
9th July 2012, 09:43 AM
Yes this is common. search steering vibration/shaking. Most report this at about 80km/h. Seems to be a Nissan factory fitted drama. I have found it is worse with my GUIV Alloy rims than my steel ones.

Pup Patrol
9th July 2012, 09:57 AM
Yes I've noticed around 80km/h, very slight but still there. (GUIV steel rims)

threedogs
9th July 2012, 11:34 AM
What style tyres are you running????

scotty83
9th July 2012, 01:10 PM
Cooper AT3's in my case 265/70/17

threedogs
9th July 2012, 01:33 PM
sure they're balanced right? ,as at a 4x4 shop, might take a bit of vibration out, some shops and tyre places are lazy and wont deflate the tyre on rim and rotate it 180 deg to see if they can get it better. mud tyres are a nightmare

BradWill
9th July 2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks for this info- have just passed up purchasing a mint condition GU due to this. Owner said he was never able to fix. Does anyone know a cause or fix.

BradWill
9th July 2012, 10:08 PM
not sure - only took it for a test drive - but just standard rims and road tyres

BradWill
9th July 2012, 10:11 PM
do you know of any cause or fix. What can make it worse?

threedogs
9th July 2012, 10:27 PM
Loose wheel bearings plus tyre out of balance it all adds up

buzzbro
11th July 2012, 07:29 PM
tyres are the usual culprit especialy chunky tread ones that are running edges (one edge of a side chunk is higher than the other side of thesame chunk)caused by wheel alignment issues. wheel balance as well. there was a factory fix if I recall and it was a modded bushes in the front trailing arm and a steering damper, this was only done if all other avenues were exhausted. I worked at a dealer ship for about seven years and only did this twice

BradWill
16th July 2012, 10:40 PM
This seems to be the advice i've been getting- bushes if all else failes.

Xfactor
9th September 2012, 09:37 AM
BALANCE WHEELS ON CAR ....if all else checks out ok ... bushes - shocks etc

happygu
9th September 2012, 09:57 AM
If you add lift to a Patrol, then a little vibration between 80 - 90 Kph is certainly the norm, especially with AT or MT tyres.

I have always had a little vibration, but always just ignore it.

Mic

mudski
9th September 2012, 12:22 PM
I was going to take my troll in for another balance as it only slightly wobbles at 80k's. I decided not to because what if I come out of there with worse shaking? And I paid for it...

largey
1st January 2013, 01:16 PM
Check king ping bearings shims, steering damper, wheels and rims

macca86
1st January 2013, 06:03 PM
Its a patrol thing. I had a bad shake at 80. Put new tyres wheel alignment and balance, all new suspension including bushes springs steering dampner it reduced the shake heaps also got new wheel bearings cv and new grease. Still shakes but bearly noticeable.

dads tractor
22nd January 2013, 04:03 PM
Check king ping bearings shims, steering damper, wheels and rims

I took top shims out of king pins to add load and was running steel rims with bfg's at's and 2' inch lift no shimmies .2000 gu st wagon .

Max wieght on rims for balance was 40 gms otherwise I wouldn't pay.

MudRunnerTD
22nd January 2013, 05:15 PM
You need to rotate you tyres every 10000 max as they will scallop out the front left and end in Tears.

About 4 years ago after trying everything I finally went to an old bloke that had been working on Nissans forever and specifically 4x4s and told him my problem. Without blinking he said " you need to fit a King Pin offset bearing in the front left and that will fix it" google "safe-t-steer" for more details.

A Safe-t-steer adjustable bearing race for the front left allows a little Camber adjustment (Nissan allows Zero Camber adjustment) and a little Toe In in the alignment and Bob is your Auntie. ;)

I would say one of the best mods I have done to the car. But you MUST ROTATE YOUR TYRES.

Cheers MR