PDA

View Full Version : How much offset??

abbo_05
7th July 2012, 06:34 PM
Hi guys,

Currently looking to put 16x8 rims on my GU, just wondering how much offset I can go?? Would-13 be enough?? Looking a some -14 sunnys!!
It's got 2 inch lift, I would be wanting to put 33 all terrains on them! Mainly for the sand!

Cheers

macca
7th July 2012, 07:53 PM
Got ROH -13mm with 33" tyres fit no problem and stay inside the wide flare kit on my ute.

The inside of the rear tyre was rubbing on the chassis rails during flex with 32" tyres.

So going to a bigger dia tyre ment wider so the problem was going to be worse.

With -13 they have not rubbed the rails again.

BUT I have a feeling it is wider in the track measurement that allowed in NSW, you can be 25mm wider this pushes the centrline of the tyres to 52mm wider... I think.

Cheers Macca

threedogs
7th July 2012, 08:04 PM
WOW are they that fussy up in NSW?

macca
7th July 2012, 09:13 PM
Yeah your right there mate, a buddy with a GQ and 4' lift had it engineered a while back before the rules changed and borrowed a stock set of rim/tyre to get it through.
Cost him $660 he was not happy

Be great to see this country become one and the rules the same across state boundarys!!!!!!

MC97GQ
8th July 2012, 12:19 PM
snip snip - Be great to see this country become one and the rules the same across state boundarys!!!!!!

There is probably only one problem I see with that Macca, is they (the powers that be) based on standard form, will probably adopt all the stupidities of all the states and roll it in to one across the board set of rules and regs.

But I guess then we would at least know where we all stand I suppose.

Mark

macca
8th July 2012, 08:20 PM
There is probably only one problem I see with that Macca, is they (the powers that be) based on standard form, will probably adopt all the stupidities of all the states and roll it in to one across the board set of rules and regs.

Mark

How bl##dy true!!!

Morton
15th July 2012, 07:11 PM
Hi guys,

Currently looking to put 16x8 rims on my GU, just wondering how much offset I can go?? Would-13 be enough?? Looking a some -14 sunnys!!
It's got 2 inch lift, I would be wanting to put 33 all terrains on them! Mainly for the sand!

Cheers

-13mm is allowed in NSW & you can go to 33's without issue on a GU with 16' rims, Macca is correct in saying you can have 25mm maximum in offset negative or positive, a -13mm rim allround will put it at 26mm total negative offset thus within the allowable limits (technically 1 mm over actually) but is accepted, GU with 16" rims come out standard with 32" tyres so you are allowed to go to 33" tyres legally, you are also allowed to fit a general 2" lift legally without a Engineers certificate, anything after that be it tyres bigger than 33', lifts bigger than 2" & rims with a bigger offset than -13mm require certification, this will include recalibration of the speedo & if a GU3 or 4? (with the taller tail lights) will require a spec'd reverse light to be installed in the rear bumper & certified

Morton
15th July 2012, 07:19 PM

Mark

My understanding is Queensland has the strictest rules at this stage, I have been told but not confirmed officially that you are not allowed to drive in Queesnland (even if registered in another state) with a bigger than 2' lift without it being Engineered, that may be a 3" lift, maybe a Brother north of the border could expand an that for me as I am wanting to take my Modified but Engineered GQ over the border soon to catch up with a few mates