PDA

View Full Version : Gear box, problems selecting gears

optic
6th July 2012, 01:11 PM
I have a 2001 4.2 D. New to me. 160.000ks.
I have had nothing but trouble changing gears.
After removing the top cover of the the gear box i found that the gear stick has play in all directions.
I sent my mechanic for a test drive in it and he also said its not right.
After removing the stick i found 2 half nylon type bushes.
The locating pins in the bottom half are loose and wobble, the small nylon bush on the botton of the gear stick is also loose and wobbles, under the bottom half of the bush which is in the gear box is a spring.
My question is how do i remove and replace the top half of the bush on the gear stick.
The id seems to small to slide back up the gear stick. It cant fit over the ball joint on the G/S.
This is the part that has a rubber insert between the bottom of the G/S and the top part.
If i pull the rubber housing off the G/S will the top half of the bush slip over the gear shift.

Thanks in advance for any help.

threedogs
6th July 2012, 02:21 PM
Whilst its out have you thought about putting a short shift kit on it??

choochie
6th July 2012, 03:17 PM
Watching this post for instructions as I'm in the same boat.

nissannewby
6th July 2012, 04:23 PM
You may find the bush might be 2 half bushes so once everything is removed they will come out. I havent ever had one apart so this is kinda a shot in the dark.

optic
6th July 2012, 06:57 PM
You may find the bush might be 2 half bushes so once everything is removed they will come out. I havent ever had one apart so this is kinda a shot in the dark.
The bush is in 2 parts. a top half bush and a bottom half with 2 pins sticking out from each side.
These pins locate the G/S.
The bushes are in one piece they are not split.
The top half sits on the ball on the G/S, the bottom compresses against the ball on the G/S.
This pressure is created by the spring in the gear box.
Removing the bottom half and spring is an easy task.
But the top part can only come off in one direction and that is up due the the ball on the G/S.
Just wondering if it will fit over the rubber vibration joint.
Ill get the vernier out tomorrow and see what the sizes are.
I shall return with the answer.
Thanks.

NissanGQ4.2
6th July 2012, 07:52 PM
optic and choochie, introductions would be nice, the intro thread can be found in my signature

Cheers

Todd

optic
6th July 2012, 09:10 PM
Sorry about that i missed it when joining.
I have just done as you rightly suggested.

NissanGQ4.2
7th July 2012, 10:21 AM
Optic, I have moved this to the gearbox section of the forum.

Cheers

Todd

optic
10th July 2012, 11:05 AM
Well after looking at manuals, i was still at a loss as to find out how to fix my problem
I rang my mechanic this morning and he said the parts had arrived.
My first question was about the top bush.
This was his reply.
The top half bush comes already fitted the the new gear shift lever. Yes brand new Nissan gear shift lever.
Then he tells me a price which had me screaming out its HOW MUCH.
Its all to be fitted in an hour so ill up date the final costs after its been fitted.
Fitting should only take 5 minutes as the bottom just lifts out.
However the parts are going to be the killer.
There must be a cheaper supplier of Nissan parts in Melbourne some where.
Can some one point me in the right direction of a supplier.
For anything i may need in the future.?

the ferret
10th July 2012, 01:02 PM
Parts for Nissan www.nizzbits.com.au Genuine at the best prices, Garry has looked after Me many times.
Cheers, the ferret.

optic
10th July 2012, 02:30 PM
Parts for Nissan www.nizzbits.com.au Genuine at the best prices, Garry has looked after Me many times.
Cheers, the ferret.
Ill be dealing with him in future.
Thanks for that.
The top half of the split bush comes already on the new gear stick complete with rubber boot.
EX Japan $400.00.
Then after i pulled it all apart and did a measure up i find a circlip that just sits on top of the top half bush does nothing but sit there as a spacer.
Its 2mm thick and the gap is 4mm.
So im off to make a spacer up now for it 4mm thick this will hold the top half bush down onto the bottom half which sits on a spring. right now all assembled it has 2mm play in it. Up and down.
This is only a quick fix as im convinced the selectors are all worn out, except reverse.
This is what happens when you rest your hand on the gear stick. Im told.
All forward gear selectors rub out and create slop.
Im learning the hard way about the patrol.
Ball park figure for a gear box heavy duty clutch and titan exhaust system plus what he has already done 6K.

the ferret
10th July 2012, 02:38 PM
$400 bucks fer a gearstick!!!!!!
I'd be making something to do the job, thats a bit steep.
Cheers, the ferret.

nissannewby
10th July 2012, 03:17 PM
x2 very good customer service

Bubba
2nd August 2012, 05:11 AM
My "new" Patrol seems to have the same problem, i was planning to pull the gear stick out today to have a lookski, will shop around I think b4 making the purchase, thanx for the heads up

Bubba
11th August 2012, 03:03 PM
pull out the gearstick, to have a look played around with it to see if the bushes were worn and to get the right size, popped it back in the problem with 3rd gear trying to pop out has gone, order the new parts off ebay for $50 , now just got to wait for them to turn up at my door