PDA

View Full Version : GQ Shackle question

MC97GQ
4th July 2012, 04:38 PM
Hi all,

Once again I'm after a little advice from the forum,

I need to redo the Shackle bushes on my 97 Front and rear leaf GQ ute, Now I could go standard but I have spotted theseextended shackle kit (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PATROL-EXTENDED-FRONT-REAR-SHACKLE-PIN-BUSH-KIT-/320885866331?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab649bf5b) on ebay and the seller reckons they will lift the truck by about 2".

My question is is there anything else that needs doing if I put these in, or am I better off sticking with standard.

Any thoughts, advice etc. is always appreciated

Mark

threedogs
4th July 2012, 04:41 PM
Just put extended shackle in the back and lift your truck 1", slight down hill look to it but levels out when loaded instead of the other way around, pretty sure brake hoses etc will be ok but check beforehand by hi lift jack

97_gq_lwb
4th July 2012, 06:37 PM
How many leafs are on your springs.
Or does anyone know how many are on a stock gq ute.

nissannewby
4th July 2012, 11:11 PM
A shite load in the rear lol. If your gonna change the shackles and your looking at aftermarket I would highly recommend greasable and anti inversion shackles. As for height what are you wanting to do with the vehicle?

MC97GQ
5th July 2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the responses guys,

I am not so much interested in lifting the truck as it is my work vehicle, but having said that it does do the odd bit of 4 wheeling. I guess I am just future proofing, incase I want to do more to the truck later.

The bushes NEED replacing and I thought I might go bigger and better with regards to shackles, but if I have to muck around with tail shafts, brake lines etc I will stick with standard.

I hope this gives you an idea of what I'm trying to do,

Thanks

Mark

threedogs
5th July 2012, 08:37 AM
Definetly go greasable amazing difference, and anti inversion as suggested. get soft bushes neophrene, not sure of colour as they use different colours all the time

nissannewby
5th July 2012, 08:43 AM
You should be fine with a 2 inch lift. I had a 2 inch in my Gq and I'm running a 2" I'm my GU. both had/have standar brake lines and driveshafts just fit shackles and drive away :)

threedogs
5th July 2012, 08:51 AM
He's not getting a 2" lift he wants to put 2" extendable shackles on his truck, much cheaper

nissannewby
5th July 2012, 09:46 AM
But they will allow more travel but only being 2" he should be fine with standard brake lines and shafts in their current orientation

97_gq_lwb
5th July 2012, 12:15 PM
Isn't the motor in the leaf ute further forward or something they have that extra uni joint double cardan.
And the extended shackles will give you more of a different diff angle to the lifted springs won't it .

MC97GQ
22nd July 2012, 10:48 AM
Well fitted the new extended shackles yesterday and it lifted the truck about 2" , Nice new bushes all round has certainly tightened everything up. The front spring bushes were completely flogged out when we went to take them out, there was nothing but ground rubber in there, so I would say they've never been done.

Everything still seems to line up OK and no dramas with brake lines etc, so it seems to be all good.

Took about two hours to do the lot, including a couple of stubby breaks, nice little Saturday afternoon project.

nissannewby
22nd July 2012, 02:24 PM
I did think you were talking about extended shackles. Did you get greasable items?

MC97GQ
23rd July 2012, 07:48 AM
Yeah mate,

I ended up getting the ones that were in my first post, extended, greasable and anti-inversion. More than happy with them.

Mark