PDA

View Full Version : gauges

acw055
12th October 2010, 10:41 AM
Good morning have just got my first Nissan, 1992 GQ Patrol. My fuel and oil gaguges aren't working properly, a few work mates have nissans and told me thats how it is. Can I fix this problem with after market gauges or can the originals be fixed as I don't want to drill into the dash.

Regards

ACW055

Bigrig
12th October 2010, 10:52 AM
G'day ACW055 - couple of questions - is the fuel tank original or after market? Might just be the fuel sender that needs replacing if the tank is original (about $150-$180 fitted for replacement) - same goes if it's after market, but some tanks you can't swap the sender on (or get any level of accuracy - mine as an example). Same goes for the oil gauge - could be the oil pressure switch not sending it a good signal (about $130 fitted for replacement), or just a wiring issue, Do you have the two gauges for for oil (i.e. the needle driven gauge and the oil light)? If so, is the oil light on and/or flickering or fading on and off? and does the needle gauge work at all?? If you have oil in it, then the sender is the first thing I'd be checking - get them to do a mechanical pressure test whilst there to be sure, but more often than not, it's the sender.

Good luck with it.

acw055
12th October 2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks Bigrig, every thing is original, it has an oil gauge and light, will replace fuel sender and oil pressure switch hopefully that will work. Much appreciate your comments.

Regards

acw055

Bigrig
12th October 2010, 06:46 PM
No worries mate - the oil pressure sender goes faulty in most, I had mine replaced about 3 months ago and I have an aftermarket fuel tank also, so when I fill it, it only show just over half full (light doesn't work because of this also) - went to have that replaced, and apparently can't do it on my tank (at least not with any level of accuracy and they can't tell me if the light will actually work like it supposed to - i.e. it may come on, but could be way too early, or unfortunately for me, way too late).

All the best with it.

Mrowka
12th October 2010, 09:31 PM
Also, start looking at the grounding of the electric circuits. I had a weird problem where my oil pressure and water temp would jump every time I turned on the vent fan. Turned out to be a bad ground.

Finly Owner
12th October 2010, 10:28 PM
Good morning have just got my first Nissan, 1992 GQ Patrol. My fuel and oil gaguges aren't working properly, a few work mates have nissans and told me thats how it is. Can I fix this problem with after market gauges or can the originals be fixed as I don't want to drill into the dash.

Regards

ACW055

If you are in brissie south area you could get Able Instruments to have a qik look @ problem. Ask 4 Ken. And tell him Tim from Kennards sent you down, and he'll see you right.

Mr Toad
27th December 2011, 02:42 AM
the fuel gauge on my MK worked when I got it then one day it stopped for an hour, and three days later it stopped again for good this time! The oil pressure gauge was not working. I checked the sender unit and it was disconnected, so I connected it. Now the oil pressure gauge goes up when the ignition is on and goes down again when the engine is running! The temperature sender unit is faulty too and finding a spare here in the Philippines is proving to be a pain!
can anyone help!

timbar
27th December 2011, 03:49 AM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim