PDA

View Full Version : help with lift choice?

Barney Rubble
3rd July 2012, 03:54 PM
Hey there guys, ive got an 89 GQ patrol LWB and i'm thinking about putting a 4" lift in her. i have done some research and got some prices. has any one got any experiences, good or bad with Dobinsons with offset radius arms and drop box, dampener and bushes.
ironman 4x4 full set up inc. radius arms, drag link, steering dampener and offset bushes.
or the IFS set up, with all the bits too. Any feedback will be appreciated such as drivablity, offroad performance, flex and reliability.
Also any guys that have an "illegal" or non engineered lift over 50mm and the way they are treated by the police.
thanks guys.

Ben-e-boy
3rd July 2012, 07:12 PM
whats your budget mate, if its big go to superior engineering and get all their top shelf stuff, you wont be disappointed. (i'm not)
I have 4 inch dobbinson flexy coils, once you learn to drive through the body roll its ok, it could be better on road but I dont care too much I dont drive like an idiot and realise that I dont have a circuit racer and different driving style is required. on and off road are at either end of the spectrum to improve 1 you need to comprimise the other.

Barney Rubble
3rd July 2012, 07:31 PM
looking at spending up to 3k mate.. but if i can get something that works well for less it will only mean the body chop comes sooner.

GQSWB
6th July 2012, 03:22 AM
Mate i recently bought a gq swb with 33s, 3inch susp lift n 1 inch body lift (i swear its actually higher than that) and im starting to wonder about the cops n how heavy they are with light 4wd mods too.
One solution im looking at (if engineerings too expensive) is the 2inch flexy coils from suspension stuff, thier new black ones, a 2inch coil ends up having the flex of a 5ich coil, seems like a decent compromise, legal lift n good flex.