PDA

View Full Version : wireless reverse camera

threedogs
1st July 2012, 08:45 AM
Has anyone fitted a wireless reverse camera? they tell me it works via the in dash GPS. I'd like to fit 3 cameras one for reverse, one to watch the rope spool on the winch and the third placed underneath tho watch the front wheels. Already have the video splitter, cameras and spare 4" sceen.

megatexture
1st July 2012, 10:52 AM
The wireless ones I’ve seen aren’t as good picture quality as the wired ones and you would have to make sure they don’t mix the signals with each other.
What vid splitter you have?
Will the splitter be picking up the signal or some other device before the splitter via blue tooth or your head unit if it’s via the head unit using Bluetooth you can just have a multi stage switch killing power to the cameras not in use so there’s no signal interference.
Picking a spot to view both front tyres will need one hell of a wide angel of view or stick it over one side to view it on an angle. Once you fit it stick up a pic as I’d be interested in what angle you use and how much you can see of the winch and front tyres as i still have one more place on my vid set up. Good luck mate i see some headaches coming on haha

teno45
1st July 2012, 11:08 AM
One used a wireless one before, and it was rubbish. Terrible picture quality, less of interference. Would fade in and out. and that was a good quality one.

Definitely recommend hard wired. Talked more time, but well worth the effort

Robo
1st July 2012, 11:28 AM
If you have a winch I take it you intend on doing some off Rd stuff correct !.
So putting a electronic device under the car or near winch runs the risk of water damage or being torn off one would expect.
I have a reverse camera under the back of my work truck and 1 up high and can advise a few ideas
Placement is key.

Camera screen needs regular cleaning, daily/hourly on a wet Rd.
Wet Rd and camera facing forwards probably a complete waste of time
Camera facing forwards under centre of car will probably get covered in rubbish too quickly, and will be a pain to clean as you will have to crawl underneath frequently.
Hard wired can get water ingress in plugs and damage precious electronics.
They are simply fantastic for helping you see what's going on around you and worth the effort, but water and dirt a major problem under vehicle.

Hope this help and saves you some heart ache.
cheers.

megatexture
1st July 2012, 12:19 PM
Wires can easily be heat shrinked to keep water out the camera is another story most are pretty weather resistant but under a patrol would see extreme conditions i.e. water crossings and mud.
Putting a camera to show wheel placement would stay cleaner if its mounted under the bull bar facing backwards only problem would be not seeing oncoming obstacles till you’re on them but when it is dirty would be a pig to clean like robo said
hard wired or wireless you still need to run power so what’s another wire.

Robo
1st July 2012, 05:27 PM
I know you will be dissapointed with a camera anywhere near a wheel as spray from wet rds or creek crossings etc will coat the lens with muck and you wont be able to see end of story. there's no nice way to say it. waste of $$.
I personally think it sounds like a great idea, by my experience tells me otherwise.
My reverse camera constantly gets dirty water spray all over lens and it faces backwards mounted to draw bar and it is only driven on a seal Rd, so go off Rd and expect the worst.
If it's raining forget it, clean it and 2 min later dirty again.
And stones fly around wheel wells in all directions.
Just trying to help with tips and experience's, its your call.
cheers

threedogs
1st July 2012, 05:35 PM
All taken aboard, just like to try new things to be different, getting dirty all the time might be a problem underneath. Thinking aslo of getting the rear cross bar on the winch laser cut higher incase rope spools to one side a snaps casing, Thats why I want the winch camera, might have to rethink underneath maybe just lights and throw my mate out. If I wire reverse camera direct, how fast it response time???

johno90
17th July 2012, 09:14 PM
I just fitted 2 cameras to my gq one reverse which is wireless and one on the first cross member under the motor pointing forward. surprisingly after splashing around in dirt mud and water plus daily driving you can still see very good picture from it and doesn't seem to get very dirty where it is.

megatexture
17th July 2012, 09:17 PM
can you post a screen shot ? so we can see the angle you see on cam ? and what degree view is your cam.

threedogs
17th July 2012, 09:50 PM
Plus how quickly does the image appear, eg as soon as reverse is selected

megatexture
17th July 2012, 10:19 PM
my cameras are on with ignition so i can see all the time, see the ppl tailgateing just b4 i lock up and scare the $#!t outta them

roon
23rd July 2012, 02:56 AM
wireless camera have good result in long ways journy but u should carefully install bcz it can damage by water and mud and in urbun areas result was very poor

Robo
26th July 2012, 03:32 PM
A mate of mine has wireless camera and he also noted the same poor quality in urban area.

optic
26th July 2012, 06:53 PM
I have a camera in the Effy, so i decided to put one in the patrol.
I was told dont use the wireless as they do not preform right at different speeds. By Jcar.
So i went the full hog, i like to see the boat behind me on long hauls.
I got mine from some people in Moorabbin.
This croud only deal in this sort of thing Berg is their trade name.
You name it they cover it from tyre pressure to front and reverse cameras.
And all on the one screen.
The only problem i found with their rear camera was the 30 meters of line that comes with it, lol.

SammiGQ
30th July 2012, 10:16 AM
I have a camera in the Effy, so i decided to put one in the patrol.
I was told dont use the wireless as they do not preform right at different speeds. By Jcar.
So i went the full hog, i like to see the boat behind me on long hauls.
I got mine from some people in Moorabbin.
This croud only deal in this sort of thing Berg is their trade name.
You name it they cover it from tyre pressure to front and reverse cameras.
And all on the one screen.
The only problem i found with their rear camera was the 30 meters of line that comes with it, lol.

Cable ties!! :D
Does this mob have a website by any chance? I'm interested in a cam. Or two.

megatexture
30th July 2012, 10:23 AM
careful buying cameras from different manufacturers as the signal can be flipped i had an issue with one camera being normal and the other two cameras show the left being on the right like a mirror image, though i can flip the signal using the head deck it then stuffed up the other camera. just something to consider.